Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom 5 - Problems selecting address in the area I want...
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom 5 - Problems selecting address in the area I want...
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Asghar
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 9:44 pm    Post subject: TomTom 5 - Problems selecting address in the area I want... Reply with quote

The image below is from TomTom Navigator 3. When searching for Fountayne Rd in London I can clearly see there are two, one in N15 and another N16 so I can select which one I want to navigate to.

This next image is from TomTom Navigator 5, again searching for the same road. Only now the font is too large and the area (postode) is not shown after the road. How am I meant to select the one I want.

This is another one whilst searching for Salibury Road in E10, how the **** do I know which one is in E10.

Is there a way to change to a smaller font, otherwise I will be asking for a refund. Unless I have missed a option in the preferences, I cannot believe what a cockup this is bt TomTom.
julianbarker
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't see a problem in landscape mode.
Asghar
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

julianbarker wrote:
I don't see a problem in landscape mode.

?????????????????

And just how long is that going to take? Thats not an answer.
Robin2
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you have missed the point. Choose the option to have a horizontal (landscape) display and you can see what you are missing in portrait. The bonus is that a lot of the other pieces of data (speed, ETA, distance to travel....) are also much larger.
For me, this is a big advantage of TT5 over TT3
Robin
Plus a lot of other PDA GPS kit, seldom used
boomshanka
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just tap and hold on top of the road names and the font size changes so that you can see all of the address, then scroll down until you find the right one. Works with poi's too.
Asghar
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2005 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oops, I did miss the point. I was thinking Landscape as in looking/browsing the map for the road.

I used the rotate screen option and can now see a lot more of the address when searching. The only problem is now how to use it in my car with the PDA sideways.

I also tried tapping and holding down on the screen and moving up and down the list. It works but I was unable to scroll the page when the roads took up over one page.

Thanks for the info.
I still think the default font size is too large though. What were TomTom thinking.
linknet
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2005 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They were designing purely for the TomTom Go which only works in landscape mode and is intended to be used with a finger and not a stylus.

A great many PDA's do not support landscape mode and even if they do I much prefer portrait mode, you can see a lot more of the route ahead.

I agree entirely with you that the default font is too large.
Fangio18
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2005 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man, glad I have not upgraded yet to a TT5 as I travel a lot and that would be a REAL issue for me as I need to find thigs quick when I am on the road.

So does the TT GO show the addresses like this too? Sad no postcodes on the end of the road due to font size as standard...crrraaaaazzzzy dutch! (In fairness TT are still better IMHO than other systems out there for ease of use and functionality)
alix776
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2005 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the landcsape system used in tt5 work indipendently of the operating system so is your device dones have a landscape function then landscape will still work if that makes any sense to anyone

Oh the joys of being a courier.
device Lumia 950 xl
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2005 9:05 am    Post subject: Re: TomTom 5 - Problems selecting address in the area I want Reply with quote

Asghar wrote:
Only now the font is too large and the area (postode) is not shown after the road. How am I meant to select the one I want.

Is there a way to change to a smaller font, otherwise I will be asking for a refund. Unless I have missed a option in the preferences, I cannot believe what a cockup this is bt TomTom.

If you have TTN5 why not use Navigate to ..../Postcode rather than Navigate to ...../Address. It will take you to the correct location.

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
Fangio18
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2005 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good point there.....although if you were to phone someone who doesn't know their post code so gives you a road then having the start of the post code at the end of the road on the screen will allow YOU to know which one of the "roads" it is, yes?

Also if the post code does not find the place as has happened to me with TTNV3 then you may call the person at the place and say what road are you next to or near and then navigate to it that way but of course you would not have the post code so you would need the road and therefore again you would need the post code at the en of the road to make sure that you select the correct one, yes?

8O
whapper_98
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2006 4:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Navigating to postcode doesn't really solve the problem. I still have to choose the street after entering the postcode
Border_Collie
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2006 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It doesn't matter which one you tap on, whether it's N15 or N16 there will only be one number 1 or 100 or whatever.

So tap on the top one, enter the house number, and you'll be routed there. Smile
Paul-in-Cornwall
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lost_Property wrote:
It doesn't matter which one you tap on, whether it's N15 or N16 there will only be one number 1 or 100 or whatever.

So tap on the top one, enter the house number, and you'll be routed there. Smile

It could do though, for instance, there is a Spingfield Road near me PL14 and another in PL13, difference is about 8 miles between them, could end up knocking on the wrong door Wink

Paul
Border_Collie
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul-in-Cornwall, my wifes family are from Pelynt and Killigarth, I had problems with them too. :P

Quote:
It could do though, for instance, there is a Spingfield Road near me PL14 and another in PL13, difference is about 8 miles between them, could end up knocking on the wrong door

No. Why? Because if you search for address you would either enter Looe (PL13) or Liskeard (PL14), and if you know and enter the full postcode there's no problem there either.

I'll have to pay some of her relatives a visit and get them to come and sort you out. :D :P :D

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: