Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Tom Tom One SD card
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Tom Tom One SD card

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NukeThemAll
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 12:16 pm    Post subject: Tom Tom One SD card Reply with quote

No doubt that this has been discussed before but....

I e-mailed TT tech support last night, had a reply within an hour (!) which I'll attempt to summarise:

SD card read speed should be at least 10Mb/second. For example, a 60x read-speed card reads at 150 Kb/s x 60 = 9 Mb/s. Card write speed is of course irrelevant during normal use

The TT1 (and GO) supports cards up to 4 Gb

Cheap no-name cards can cause problems such as poor read speeds and even data corruption; they may also have a 'weak' memory controller on the card which inhibits data flow
prisci14
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2006 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For a start would sandisk be ok?and if so there are so many variations of the same size card ,what should i pick?Any help always appreciated Smile
Tumbleweed
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2006 4:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Tom Tom One SD card Reply with quote

NukeThemAll wrote:

I e-mailed TT tech support last night, had a reply within an hour (!) which I'll attempt to summarise:

SD card read speed should be at least 10Mb/second. For example, a 60x read-speed card reads at 150 Kb/s x 60 = 9 Mb/s. Card write speed is of course irrelevant during normal use

Cheap no-name cards can cause problems such as poor read speeds and even data corruption; they may also have a 'weak' memory controller on the card which inhibits data flow

I was looking at a friends 700 last week and was surprised how slow it was compared to my 300 when looking at maps and dragging them around, which I put down to the speed of the HD (as its got a faster processor than the 300 so it wouldnt be that). I wouldnt mind betting the disk in the 700 is slower than most memory cards.

The £6 (was a tenner when I bought it) 256Mb Kingston SD in my 300 is according to Amazon rated as 'fast memory transfer speed, at least 2MB/sec' !!

Tw
NukeThemAll
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2006 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The implication is that 'respected' makes - such as Sandisk (?) are deemed to be more reliable than no-name offerings. Having just ordered a 1 Gb SD card, a Kingston 133x at about £26 from PicStop, I can report back in a week or so on my experiences.

BTW, I have noticed (no big surprise) a large difference in prices of 1 Gb SD cards, even amongst the internet retailers. I'd have needed a second mortgage for some of the high-street prices.....

Main reason for purchase is that I've just acquired a TT1, a decision helped enormously by this web site - a huge, huge thanks to all the contributors and moderators for their insightful and often witty comments!

I intend to load the speed camera POI data and have room for any maps of Europe, and keep the original card as the ultimate backup. With current prices, a 1 Gb card seems to be the best purchase - I won't be needing all of the European maps loaded for any single holiday.
prisci14
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanx for the speedy comeback guys!just what i needed :D
MR_TiGGer
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

www.scan.co.uk Is a Fine Place to get stuff like that, of at least give you a "Realistic" price unlike PCWorld and such
mfs227
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 12:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Tom Tom One SD card Reply with quote

Tumbleweed wrote:
NukeThemAll wrote:

I was looking at a friends 700 last week and was surprised how slow it was compared to my 300 when looking at maps and dragging them around, which I put down to the speed of the HD (as its got a faster processor than the 300 so it wouldnt be that). I wouldnt mind betting the disk in the 700 is slower than most memory cards.

The £6 (was a tenner when I bought it) 256Mb Kingston SD in my 300 is according to Amazon rated as 'fast memory transfer speed, at least 2MB/sec' !!

Tw

The cheap card I used was manufactured by Hamma and just isn't up to snuff.

mfs227
NukeThemAll
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've now installed my Kingston 1 Gb 133x card, purchased for ~£26 from PicStop, and all seems to be fine - although I've only used it as a 'working card' with just the UK mapping, leaving the original card as the ultimate backup (and yes, I have also backed up to a PC).

Early days with my TT1 but so far, very impressed. As expected, noted a few map mistakes on my local roads, but no consistency - some mistakes are on quite old changes eg new roundabouts, but more recent changes, like 3-4 years ago, seem to be there.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: