Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TT5 instability with XDAII and Hx4700
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TT5 instability with XDAII and Hx4700

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SteveTheLight
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 3:29 pm    Post subject: TT5 instability with XDAII and Hx4700 Reply with quote

Hi. Is it just me, or has any one else had problems with TT5 freezing whilst using a Ipaq hx4700 or an XDAII (Qtek2020i)?

TT5 won't run on the XDAII immediatley after a reset, but will five minutes or so later, and changing some preferences seems to cause a crash every time.

I have 2 x 512 MB cards. France and UK plus on one (a bit of a squeeze) and Spain and France plus on the other.

Steve
Hx4700
Qtek 2020i
Unbranded BT GPS
gpsn3wbie
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

did you install the 5.21 update? my bro runs TT5 on his XDAII without any problems but he installed the update as soon as he got it.
saudidave
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been running tom tom 5 (latest version) on an XDA lls and it was forever freezing on exit from or when loading tom tom, so much so, that I sold the XDA on ebay and bought a Garmin Street PIlot i3. Tom tom was great but this problem drove me insane. I still want to run tom tom on a pda. Does anyone have a reccomendation?
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave its a shame you got rid of the IIs, although I can understand you frustrations in full. Mine very nearly got thrown out of the car at first, untill I worked out how to get it to run stable with TTN and all other applications have a look at http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=28396 - just incase you ever purchase an O2 device in the future - Mike
saudidave
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike, I wished I'd read your advice 2 weeks ago before I sold the XDA - I liked the XDA and tt5 is better than an i3. That is no dissrespect to the i3 -it is brilliant for the money but I am 53 yrs old and struggle to see the map without reading glasses! I can't wear those whilst driving.

I've bitten the bullet and put a winning bid on a new XDA lls on ebay today for £170. I've ordered a thinknavi powered cradle plus a rigid windscreen mount from handtec and will try again. Manny thanks for the advice, Dave
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave - Shame you hadn't spotted this one, the IIs drove me up the wall for a couple of weeks, the final straw being a trip into the centre of Liverpool on a Friday night to a specific location which I had no idea of, the unit needed resetting every 3 mins, once I cleared all the other rubish of the device and had a good read on what to do with the IIs it has been a reliable unit - in fact its a great bit of kit (more usable as a phone/ PDA device than the Exec IMHO), nearly 12 months old, no problems at all - I did replace the battery with a double capacity unit so I get ten hours plus usage, the downside is this doubles the weight - but very practical for myself when away.
The little i3 is also a cracker - I have one (couldn't resist at the stupidly low price they were being sold at) - very impressive. You can't really compare TomTom with the little Garmin as I consider this somewhat unfair (something you also correctly pointed out), look at the price differential between the two units when in use and you will know what I mean - but it does its job.
I hope you have a better time on this ocassion with the IIs, but give me a shout if you encounter problems cos I think I know most of them by now - baptism by fire in my case, but the end end result is a cracking combination - Mike
PS - Don't bother putting WM2005 as the opperating system on to the IIs it really is not worth it unless you want to return the problems you experianced previously, but amplified ten fold, steer well clear.
saudidave
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2006 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike, I had tom toms official speed camera database on tom tom 5 but prefer the way the i3 one works with the download from pocketgps, ie, it warns me, then shuts up if I'm within the limit. If I download the pocketgps version to tom tom, will it work in the same way as it does on the i3? That version of speed camera warnings with tomtoms mapping, features and screen size on my XDA with phone, contacts and mobile web facility would be perfection (when running smoothly!)
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2006 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can get TomTom to do this by installing CheckPOI onto the device and running it at the same time, I did find it made the device unstable so I took it off the unit.
I just use the inbuilt warning system but using spoken voice alerts from www.tomtomsatnav.info (Liz Whitaker voice for both navigation and alerts - well worth having a look see at the site), you get the warning for the speed and type of the camera you are about to encounter.
TT will only accept 15 warnings by default, but on the site I have linked to there is a utility to increase this to 30, which you need to do if running the full speed zoned set-up. Mike
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2006 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I should also add that the PocketGPSworld database will work just fine with TomTom (one of your original questions) you need to download the files with .ov2 type extension and place te files into the GB map folder on the memory card - Mike

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: