Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - European Maps for ICN 520
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

European Maps for ICN 520

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Mio Navman Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
brycem
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 3:50 pm    Post subject: European Maps for ICN 520 Reply with quote

I have an ICN 520. I am travelling to France, Switzerland and Italy in July and would like to use it for the trip. What is the most cost effective way of getting the European Maps. I note Navaman sell a CD at £99.99 - do others sell it cheaper? Also I note that you need memeory cards to store the maps - Will one memory card suffice? If so what size?

Thanks

Brycem
Tim Buxton
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You may get them slightly cheaper elsewhere but make sure you buy from a Navman-authorised reseller. If you buy them fro elsewhere and they don't work, you'll get no asistance from Navman.

To be on the safe side you'll need a 1Gb SD card, especially if you want the UK on there, too. You might get away with a 512Mb card if you are prepared to omit the UK and you can also leave a few bits of France and Italy out.
Gee-Pee
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tim Buxton wrote:
You may get them slightly cheaper elsewhere but make sure you buy from a Navman-authorised reseller. If you buy them fro elsewhere and they don't work, you'll get no asistance from Navman.

To be on the safe side you'll need a 1Gb SD card, especially if you want the UK on there, too. You might get away with a 512Mb card if you are prepared to omit the UK and you can also leave a few bits of France and Italy out.

Yes, a 1Gb card is much better. I have only a 512Mb card and that is perfectly satisfactory if you are prepared to load only the areas where you want street level mapping - the units Basemap will link all the areas so you have a continuous route. I have shopped around and you will find it difficult to buy at less than recommended selling price. Don't be tempted to buy just the countries that you will be travelling through/to as this is really very uneconomic.
Finally, make sure the SD card you buy is an high speed card as you may notice some delay from the device if you buy the basic card. Wink
brycem
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your advice.

I didn't know you could load only parts - I am really only driving to Tuscany through France and Switzerland - can I just the bits of Italy to the north? Is this easily done? Question

Also how do I know what is a good quality 1gb sd memory card and what is not?

Brycem
Gee-Pee
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

brycem wrote:
Thanks for your advice.

I didn't know you could load only parts - I am really only driving to Tuscany through France and Switzerland - can I just the bits of Italy to the north? Is this easily done? Question

Also how do I know what is a good quality 1gb sd memory card and what is not Brycem

1. Yes, easily done. Just choose the CD on which the appropriate maps are stored and using the SmartST desktop programme you can load whatever area you choose. Note you will probably need a map with country regions on it such as (for Italy) Veneto etc. France, Pas de Calais (northern France). If you are reasonably computer literate, its no problem.

2. Well, there are lots of choices to make. 1Gb Kingston high speed cards are on offer at about £51. I like Kingston as they have never let me down but Crucial also do good cards but I don't believe they do a 1Gb version. Really, it's your choice. If you have a reliable source for your computer bits then use them but do shop around 'cos prices can vary a lot.

Maybe someone else on this forum could make a recommendation Idea
italiastar
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've ordered a 520 from John Lewis - they're out of stock since dropping their price to £199.

I've basically got a similar requirement to the thread starter, my only question is what level of european mapping comes with the unit? - it's says Major european routes - does this mean just motorways or does it include A Road equivelants such as Route National (RN) in the case of France. I ask, because whilst I'd like full street level mapping, I'm struggling to justfy the additional cost for use on just a few occassions. If the basic maps give me the main cover, then I'll struggle with paper maps for the rest.
Gee-Pee
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

italiastar wrote:
I've ordered a 520 from John Lewis - they're out of stock since dropping their price to £199.

I've basically got a similar requirement to the thread starter, my only question is what level of european mapping comes with the unit? - it's says Major european routes - does this mean just motorways or does it include A Road equivelants such as Route National (RN) in the case of France. I ask, because whilst I'd like full street level mapping, I'm struggling to justfy the additional cost for use on just a few occassions. If the basic maps give me the main cover, then I'll struggle with paper maps for the rest.

Based on what you say, above, the unit will only come with a European Basemap. That is 'through routes' from country to country and major cities. NO street level mapping is included. They are perfectly adequate to take you from X in France to Y in Germany, for example, but is very limited. Try asking for a demo in store Wink
italiastar
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gee-Pee wrote:
[Based on what you say, above, the unit will only come with a European Basemap. That is 'through routes' from country to country and major cities. NO street level mapping is included. They are perfectly adequate to take you from X in France to Y in Germany, for example, but is very limited. Try asking for a demo in store Wink

Thanks for your reply. That would probably be adequate for me - I've been driving accross to Italy for the past 25 years, so am familiar with my normal route, despite the annual attempts by the French to change it (not a criticism - they just keep improving their road system) thats why a cross France routing would be useful. Yes street-level would be brilliant for finding my remote Chambre d'hotes, but with so many conflicting things to spend money on, I'm asking myself is it really wor.th an extra £100.

Unfortunately, the people in the stores are clueless - I've had responses from "it doesn't include any european maps, to read this explaination chart (which replicates whats on the box) to yes it includes full european maps down to street level on the enclosed CD.
Gee-Pee
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I should point out - but perhaps you know - that there is more than one version of the Navman iCN520. The Navman Premium iCN520 does have full European mapping included with it - but then it is more expensive unless you can find a special offer for it such as the one you have found, which appears to be the basic model.
italiastar
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, I was aware of the Premium version, but the one I've been looking at it the basic one - in fact I've only seen the premium one online. I've just returned from Halfords - the assisant was clueless and display broken ....... Ho hum .....

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Mio Navman Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: