Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Problems copying information to a half gigabyte SD card
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Problems copying information to a half gigabyte SD card

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tonetheteach
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 10:22 pm    Post subject: Problems copying information to a half gigabyte SD card Reply with quote

Greetings-
I am a complete beginner where GPS is concerned. However, I recently bought a TomTom One which is great. However, I bought a bigger SD card so that I could add further points of interest, new voices etc. After some initial difficulty I eventually found that I was able to back up some of the original software to the bigger card. I did this by backing up the original card and then transferring the backup via my PC to the new card.
However, having switched the TomTom 1 device on and noting the blue line that swept horizontally across the screen as though the full program were loading I was met with the icons telling me that they were empty for example the maps etc.
I e-mailed for technical help at TomTom and it is with their reply that I could do with some help -- "please format the new card to FAT 32. Be sure that you transfer the hidden files as well, please check your operating system settings. If possible use a card reader to transfer the files to the new card.
I do hope someone can help me with this in straightforward English -- Best wishes -- Tonetheteach.
sgould
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How did you make the backup?

If you used the TomTom CD or the download, did you choose the full backup? If not you may only have copied the personal settings.

You can backup the original card by copy/paste or drag and drop. Choose to show hidden files (although to be honest I don't think I've seen any) before you do it.

Did you choose the icon in the task bar (assuming a windows machine) to "safely remove hardware"?

Did you wait for the Go screen to stop flashing the icon of the SD card before disconnecting?

Check the size of you backup. It should be the same (or near as dammit) to the original.

Did you copy the contents of your backup file back to the new SD card? One member copied the whole folder (including the folder).

I have learnt from many mistakes. I now wait for 10 seconds or so after any flashing bits on the screen have stopped before taking the next step.

If you need to re-format your card you can do it in a camera or a Palm /iPaq etc as well. FAT32 is pretty standard on non-Apple Mac stuff these days. But card should also be OK out of the box, unless you are very unlucky.
Western Europe Map
Eastern Europe Map
Kenwood DNX-4210DAB with Garmin maps
sgould
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

.. oh yes! A card reader is just that. It will read an SD card. They will also come able to read other types of card like Sony Memory sticks etc. they are cheap and easy, but the GO /ONE should become a card reader as soon as you plug in the USB cable!!
Western Europe Map
Eastern Europe Map
Kenwood DNX-4210DAB with Garmin maps
tonetheteach
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 2:10 am    Post subject: Problems copying information to a half gigabyte S. D. card Reply with quote

Greetings sgould
Thank you for your very prompt reply. I made the backup by simply copying the original card whilst still in its TomTom one hardware case and then connecting it to my computer with the USB cable provided. I then put the disk that I was provided by TomTom with into my DVD rewriter and used the instructions that I was given in order to backup all the information and not just my personal settings. You talk about hidden files and this is an interesting point -- I was warned that certain things might not be copied -- however I will have to look into that.

Having read your response I am not sure how to show hidden files?

With regards to FAT 32 I am also at a loss as to why it is not properly recognised. I think I will have to buy a card reader in order to work this out or find a friend with a compatible camera as my own uses XD cards.
Honestly, it should really be not that difficult or maybe I am missing something? Perhaps TomTom people may have a hidden agenda? I am used to my own digital cameras with their XD cards and copy to the PC with no problem at all.

However, I would just like to reiterate my personal thanks to you and hope that between us we can resolve what should really be a straightforward case.

Best wishes -- look forward to hearing from you --tonetheteach.
tonetheteach
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 10:45 pm    Post subject: TomTom 1 problem settled Reply with quote

Greetings --
I have had no problems now since I purchased a multicard reader and copied the information that I needed straight to that. Why it didn't work with the original TomTom One hardware which as someone pointed out should have worked as a card reader itself I simply don't know. Anyway the problem is now solved -- thanks to everyone suggestions -- tonetheteach.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: