Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - SD Card copy.
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

SD Card copy.
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mlclm
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 12:52 am    Post subject: SD Card copy. Reply with quote

Hi,
I bought a 256 MB SD card to give me lots of additional memory for add ons etc. I have copied my basic Tomtom One SD(GB) card to the 256 MB card using a card reader.I have added cameras,voices and a new splash screen,but when I try it in my One I get a screen with an SD card image with a cross superimposed on it, implying presumably that the card isn't valid. Anyway round this,or has my plan for loads of extra memory been foiled? Thanks for any help.
Regards, Malcolm.
sgould
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Should work OK.

Is it an SD card? The MMC card looks the same and will fit but won't work.

Did you "safely remove" the card from the PC? If you just disconnected the download may not have finished.
Western Europe Map
Eastern Europe Map
Kenwood DNX-4210DAB with Garmin maps
Tumbleweed
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 2:15 am    Post subject: Re: SD Card copy. Reply with quote

mlclm wrote:
Hi,
I bought a 256 MB SD card to give me lots of additional memory for add ons etc. I have copied my basic Tomtom One SD(GB) card to the 256 MB card using a card reader.I have added cameras,voices and a new splash screen,but when I try it in my One I get a screen with an SD card image with a cross superimposed on it, implying presumably that the card isn't valid. Anyway round this,or has my plan for loads of extra memory been foiled? Thanks for any help.
Regards, Malcolm.

How did you copy it? Did you make sure that 'show system files' was enabled? have you done a side by side comparison to check? There is a backup restore utility which you could try to accomplish a copy.
mlclm
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 2:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply sgould. Yeah, it's a brand new SD card from PC World and I can view all the files/folders on it and it looks ok but the One isn't happy with it. I have now copied the additional stuff to my Tomtom basic card and it works ok,but there is now probably not much spare memory left.It's a mystery. I suspected that Tomtom had possibly encrypted something on to the origignal card to ensure it was the only one that could be used.What do you think?
Regards, Malcolm.
mlclm
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 2:23 am    Post subject: SD Card copy. Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply Tumbleweed. I'll check that out tomorrow as I am off to bed right now.
Regards, Malcolm. (yawn)
Pocketgps
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 2:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's usually the card reader that's at fault.

Try this - Connect TT ONE to pc - copy ALL files from your original card to your main pc, now go to those files on your main pc and make sure that none of them have ANY Attributes set at all (right click on them - properties), now try copying them to your NEW card via your card reader, if that does not work then:

Put the NEW card into your CARD READER and delete ALL of the files.

Now put the NEW card into TT ONE and copy the files from your pc back to the new card, should work OK.

Or do a Back Up (from original card) & Restore, put the new card into your ONE then Restore. (again delete all of the files on the NEW card via the card reader before doing the restore to the NEW card).

The problem is that some card readers cannot put ALL of the data back onto the card in a format that the TT ONE can read.

It's a know problem that affects not only GPS units but Digital Cameras, PDA's, MP3 players etc.
Tumbleweed
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pocketgps wrote:
It's usually the card reader that's at fault.

The problem is that some card readers cannot put ALL of the data back onto the card in a format that the TT ONE can read.

It's a know problem that affects not only GPS units but Digital Cameras, PDA's, MP3 players etc.

You'll have to justify that statement with examples, because a card reader is just copying 1s and 0's, there is nothing special about the 1s and 0s that any of those devices use.

Whenever I have seen such problems, they are down to a combination of
1)user error, such as formatting the card wrongly or not actually copying all the files
2)card incompatibility with a particular device, eg Kingston cards dont work on Hokey Kokey 2000 camera
3)bad sectors on card
4)hidden files
5)Files not in the same place where the device expects them
6)data not in the same format because it got changed
7)files being readonly or similar as a result of copying
Eight) Some sort of DRM scheme reliant on the data being in the same exact place on a card or similar (which TT doesnt use)

All but (2) and (3) and (Eight) might be regarded as examples of (1) :-)

As an example, its not uncommon to see people say that they copied a picture (file) from a card on the digi cam to their PC, modified it, sent it back, now it doesn't work. This is not because digicams have special 1s and 0s that card readers cant handle, its because the camera doesn't like the changed format of the file, or the changed location, or the name.

I suppose there might be a device which has a proprietary file storage layout but if there is, you'd be unlikely to be able to read the cards on *any* card reader in the first place. IIRC there was a MP3 player that had this problem. But thats really an 'all or nothing' issue and certainly doesn't apply here.

Tw
mlclm
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 1:18 am    Post subject: SD CARD copy. Reply with quote

OK Guys,thanks for all the replies. Confession time! I have found the answer and as often is the case it's quite simple.When I copied the original card to a folder I then copied it back to the 256mb card as a folder.When the One tried to boot up,all it saw was a folder instead of a list of files and folders.I have now done it again,but this time selecting files and folders within my copied folder to copy accross to the card reader.I now have 120 mb spare memory which I will probably never use,but as the saying goes; 'handy to have supposing you never need it.'
Thanks again for all replys.
Regards, Malcolm.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 2:18 am    Post subject: Re: SD CARD copy. Reply with quote

mlclm wrote:
I now have 120 mb spare memory which I will probably never use,but as the saying goes; 'handy to have supposing you never need it.'

Room for all your music .mp3s?
See TomTom MP3 Player for details 8)
mlclm
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 2:32 am    Post subject: SD Card copy. Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply Fanatic but it looks as if the One is not compatible.
nomoremaps
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 8:25 pm    Post subject: Re: SD CARD copy. Reply with quote

Pocketgps wrote:

Or do a Back Up (from original card) & Restore, put the new card into your ONE then Restore. (again delete all of the files on the NEW card via the card reader before doing the restore to the NEW card).

I have no idea what I am doing when it comes to this sort of thing, but would like confirmation of this process (bear with me....). I've just bought a new 512mb SD card, if I back up to my PC at work (I'm assuming I can't do it on my own mac), unplug my GO500, take tomtom's SD card out, put the new, blank card in and then restore, it will put all the info onto the new card, whilst retaining all the info on the old card and I wont be left weeping all over my now-blank tomtom.
I would appreciate any response!
If I've failed to make any sense, I apologise.
sgould
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can do it on your Mac!!

Make a backup folder on you Mac desktop.
Plug in USB.
GO/ONE appears on the desktop.
Open the GO/ONE
Select all the contents.
Drag them all to the folder on the desktop.
Wait till everything on the GO/ONE screen stops flashing. It may startup - wait till it's finished.
Eject the GO/ONE by dragging to Trash.
Switch of GO/ONE
Change cards in the GO/ONE
Switch on The GO/ONE
Card will appear on the desktop as "NO NAME"
Name it something - e.g. TomTom512?
Drag all the stuff back to the GO/ONE from the backup folder on the desktop.
Eject GO/ONE as before when all has stopped flashing on the GO
Disconnect.

Tip: Check the GO/ONE screen at all times. If the icon is flashing WAIT for it to stop before doing anything else.

In fact your machine will act like anything else you plug into your computer. Just copy / paste between the two!!
Western Europe Map
Eastern Europe Map
nomoremaps
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 10:26 pm    Post subject: Re: SD CARD copy. Reply with quote

Cheers for that! To be honest, I was under the impression that tomtoms weren't Mac compatible and everything I did with a tomtom should be done on a PC unless I bought the tamtam software from a company whose name escapes me.

I had the idea that I would be able to do a drag and drop on the Mac's desktop and then drag it back onto the tomtom's new card, but having read a couple of posts had the feeling this wasn't always 100% reliable and thought it best to to a backup/restore using the CD. But I suppose all this does is run a script or something to copy the files onto your computer anyway.

I'll give it a go on the Mac and see what happens.
sgould
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tam Tam is no longer available. TomTom bullied the company into dropping it Evil or Very Mad

I've dragged and dropped backup copies to and from a GO Classic and a 700 for 18 months now. Camera updates, extra maps, backups, PoIs etc. No real problems.
Western Europe Map
Eastern Europe Map
nomoremaps
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 10:47 pm    Post subject: re: SD CARD copy. Reply with quote

you're joking! I was only looking at it before Christmas and thought tamtam looked like a good idea
I'll give the dragging a go then and I'm sure I will be able to report how pleased I am that I managed to get it to work without breaking anything and wiping my Mac or something!!

Cheers for your help.

JA

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: