Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - HELP?! TomTom Nav 5
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

HELP?! TomTom Nav 5

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Scream
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 11:33 pm    Post subject: HELP?! TomTom Nav 5 Reply with quote

hello everyone. This is pretty urgent and has left me stumped in how it could of happened.

I've just downloaded a new voice and was going about what i need to do to install it. So i go to my tom tom SD card and all the files are gooblegook. Yet the file size on the disk remains. I haven't a clue what's gone on, but i can no longer access my maps or anything.

Does anyone have a clue how this could happen? The SD Card is locked as well. As a last resort i'll send the card back and hopefully get it replace, but it's very annoying considering i've only just bought it.
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Before you do anything, uhm, uncool, unlock the SD card and reboot your device with the card inserted. Tell us if that helped.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
Scream
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tried that. the strange thing is, i didn't lock the card. i never selected anything to be locked. i only used the tools to stop people gettin access to my pda. So how it's done this i haven't a clue.
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scream wrote:
i only used the tools to stop people gettin access to my pda.

That sounds pretty bogus... I think you need to provide more details.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
Scream
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok full story.

got new pda before xmas. I use it for work as i work for the police. Anyway being the security conscious person that i am, i wanted to use HP Protect Tools so i could lock the device, however not encrypt any folders or files. So i use my finger print reader and PIN.

This has been working fine, and was working fine when i drove home from work on Monday. Anyway, i just downloaded the new voice (john cleese) from tomtom's site and go to install it. It's at this point i notice that the SD Card content is just strange characters. My first thought is it's the encryption but i'm thinking how can it when i never encrypted it?! Then i checked the file size, it's still the same. But the file structure isn't there, interms of files and folders.

I haven't the foggiest how this has happened either. As i haven't touched my pda since driving home.

That's the long and the short of it. I'm giong to phone tomtom tomorrow morn when i get into work, but ideally i would like to solve this.
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 5:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most probably your storage card was low on free memory, and panicked when you shoved John Cleese onto it.

Easy solution - reformat the card and reinstall your backup. You did make a backup of the card, didn't you? 8O

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
Scream
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i didn't even get that far to installing the voice.

no backup Embarassed Silly of me considering i work in IT for the police and constantly go on about backing up. HOWEVER the lovely people and tomtom are going to replace the card for me. Was very impressed by their customer services. What a great package, as that is always a concern i find when buying hardware or software. No point in buying a product if the support isn't there when needed.

So in conclusion there is light at the end of this tunnel. Thanks for your help btw. :D

One lesson learned, backup the card, i'll think i'll do that and actually listen to the advice i give others as well.
rsvdaz
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bit of a hijack this but - i have a glitch with ttnn on my sd card...and i didnt back it up..as i didnt buy it direct from tomtom....got it from buybits.com....the tt backup has been non existent Crying or Very sad

what can i do?

one option i'm thinking of is aquiring a not so legit copy of ttnv and re-installing that....what would the consequences be?
scubadiver69uk
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would get in touch with the company you brought it from,try to get them to sort it out.......dont buy an illegal copy m8

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: