Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - 4 Missing mobile cameras
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

4 Missing mobile cameras

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database
View previous topic :: View next topic  
D-N
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2005 1:29 am    Post subject: 4 Missing mobile cameras Reply with quote

I have just got my TomTom one I loaded up the cameras and all types seem to on fine. I browsed the map to see the most local ones to me. Strangely 4 mobile cameras that I know of nearest to my house are missing.

I looked them up on the local council web site and they have been there for 3 years. According to the shedule a van will be there in the next couple of weeks so they are live sites.

Seems strange no one has ever noticed them before.

cameras on

1) A444, Atherstone Road, Fenny DraytonA444
2) Main Street, Twycross Village
3) A444, Norton Juxta Twycross
4) A447,Hinckley Road,Cadeby

taken from

http://www.mscp.org.uk/index2_LeicesterCameras.html

click on the Hinckley square

Am I doing something wrong? I can see plenty of other mobile cameras i know of on my TOMTOM One OK
soweezy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2005 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DON'T look at your local council site and add them just by the street name listed, you need to go to the actual location to get accurate coordinates

easiest way ,I find, is to add them to a new POI catagory or to favourites and get the coordinates from their later.
or you could use POIcapture (downloadable from this site)... I haven't tried it yet so can't help you there but there is a dedicated forum

HTH...

Garmin Zumo 390LM
D-N
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2005 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was more of a case of I have been driving past them for years and seemd strange just how many were not listed on the database.

Was worried I had not installed the cameras properly on the TomTom

I also looked at a few other mobile sites listed by the council and some are not listed on the TomTom some others are not. I have never actually seen all the camera vans peronally only about half. I would guess that they all do exist but the database doesnt have them down.

Is this typical for the whole country or have I just found a isolated black hole?
tanda
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi D-N, If they are not on the database, then nobody has sent the locations in to add to the database. So here's your chance to contribute to the site, (and get free membership).
D-N
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought of that.

Now that some one will profit from the info. shouldn't the compilers of the database drive here and do it themselves?

If I, or someone else like me, can't be bothered then how can accurate data be obtained. Makes you wonder how valuable the data really is. Is free membership all you get?

I wonder if after a couple of years, when some one has paid say £40 for the data, they get snapped by a camera that is not listed. If it turns out the camera has been there all the time do they get a refund or compensation?

Also is there some legal compliance about selling something. The phrase "It does exactly what it says on the tin!" comes to mind. But will it?

I guess the data will be sold with a long disclaimer saying 'as far as we know the database lists 90% of all the known camera locations etc...'

I would have thought that using revenue from advertising on the site could provide enough income to provide staff to look after all the admin. the site has got tens of thousands if not hundreds of thousands of visitors. per month

Just need put some work in to get some decent advertisers.

---Sorry got a bit off topic :-)
Unplugged
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 2:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The best thing to do is when you see one Park up directly in frint of it add it and then drive off. Even better if their illegally parked. Once added drive off.
Ako
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

D-N wrote:
Quote:
I have just got my TomTom one I loaded up the cameras and all types seem to on fine. I browsed the map to see the most local ones to me. Strangely 4 mobile cameras that I know of nearest to my house are missing.

tanda wrote:
Quote:
Hi D-N, If they are not on the database, then nobody has sent the locations in to add to the database. So here's your chance to contribute to the site, (and get free membership).

Darrens original post states specifically STATIC cameras for free membership.

Dave
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll sell you an un-reported camera location for a £1......

(Only kidding... Twisted Evil)

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: