Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark Antivirus
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom POI (Our database)'s disadvantages over Road Angel...
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom POI (Our database)'s disadvantages over Road Angel...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheGame7
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 3:15 pm    Post subject: TomTom POI (Our database)'s disadvantages over Road Angel... Reply with quote

Hi,

Just a question out of interest really...

What benefits does one get through investing the big bucks in a system like Road Angel over using Tom Tom with the database provided here by our POI database?

Is it more accurate?

Updated more regularly?

Detects more types of camera?

If someone could answer, it would be great as I just want to know what I miss out on that my friend who has the Road Angel gets.

Cheers.
peterc10
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I understand it the road angel also has radar detection unit as well as a database. So in theory it picks up any camera, whereas the database on this site relies upon the camera being in a fixed position or a position that is regularly used for mobile cameras.
mossman
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2005 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although I believe that within one law recently passed, the use of laser radar detectors will be made illegal, so any benefit that the Road Angel currently has over ordinary GPS units in that area will vanish.
TheGame7
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2005 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And how does our database compare to others out there?

Does it record pretty much all the camera types out there?
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2005 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheGame7 wrote:
And how does our database compare to others out there?

Does it record pretty much all the camera types out there?

Clearly I'm biased but I am responsible for the hardware speed cam detector (SCD's) reviews and so have used pretty much every one of them.

I have found our database to be at least as good as many and a lot better than some.

Some of these SCD's charge £60+ per year for the updates and I'm amazed at how variable the database quality is.
SeventySix
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2006 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the original Road Angel (no Sat Nav) and have recently acquired a TT1. The RA has been a life-(and licence)-saver and has always proved accurate. Having bought the unit way back when, I paid £90 for a lifetime subscription to their dBase.

Having added the camera dBase from the good ppl here to my TT1, I am pleased to say that the old RA has not yet warned of a camera that the PGPSW dBase hasn't got.

So far, the only 'advantage' the RA has over the TT PoI alert is that the RA only alerts for cameras in your direction of travel (i.e. no alerts for cameras on the opposite side of single carriageways, no alerts when you're crossing under/over a different stretch of road with a camera on it). Obviously, that's no reflection on the dBase integrity, being as it is a 'limitation' of the TT1 software.

Also, my RA does not cater for red-light cameras (although you'd be pretty brave to jump the lights at any time!) :-P whereas the PGPSW dBase does.

The only other thing I haven't tried with TT1/PGPSW dBase so far are SPECS cameras. I always thought the RA handled these very well, warning you before the start of, emitting a periodic beep and staying red whilst travelling through the 'SPEC stretch'. I've now idea how the TT1/PGPSW dBase handles these.

My RA also came with a radar detection unit, but this is merely a gimmick. By the time the unit has detected a laser gun, you've had it. There's no way on Earth anyone could react quick enough.

This is said as much in the RA manual(!), which leads me to think they included it only so they could say it has radar detection to up sales as, when this RA was first launched, the common mis-conception was that this type of detection was useful (and common-place).
TheGame7
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everyone for taking the time and effort to reply.

Cleared a lot of things up.

Look forward to trying the db with tomtom mobile once I have it up and running.

And will not be concerned that I am getting less benefit just because the db is free!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: