Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - HP iPAQ rz1710
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

HP iPAQ rz1710

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
eclipse91
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 11:17 pm    Post subject: HP iPAQ rz1710 Reply with quote

Hi all

I have a HP iPAQ rz 1710 pda with Viamichelin. I am thinking of 'upgrading' to Tom Tom. I have been advised on this site that a Kirrio cradle will not work fully with Tom Tom ( speaker problem )

My question is, if I do change , which cradle is the best to use with my iPAQ? ( or is there a way to get the kirrio cradle going? )

Many thanks
NavEx
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My wife bought the Ipaq kit BUT with TomTom mapping sd card, they do 2 sets 1 with the michellin(which i have seen and for a basic setup is ok) but the tomtom sd and Ipaq RZ1710 is a far better option.

The quality of the maps, everything is better GPS wise, as a PDA they are pretty useless in terms of use, well no WIFI or Bluetooth and the available memory ???? 32MB!!!!!!!!

I had a Vic 20 when i was a child, i think it had more memory, maybe not(only 5k) but for the extra 100 pound you could get the TomTom go 300 which would be a wiser move(in my opinion)

Paul
eclipse91
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Paul. At last a reply!!! After 115 reads and over a month, I had pretty much given up.

Don't think I was clear enough in my 1st post. I bought the bundle ( before finding this site! ) which came with a Kirrio mount, Via michelin and HP iPAQ 1710. I have now bought a 256 SD card and changed the maps I use to Tom Tom ( after no replies!!) . I agree Tom Tom is much better. My problem is that the Kirrio mount speaker will not work with Tom Tom. The tiny speaker on the PDA is o.k. apart from when on the motorway.

Which mount / cradle did your wife's bundle come with? Can you offer any advise on mounts for the HP iPAQ 1710 ?

Any help would be great.

Many thanks.

Stuart
NavEx
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The wife bought the exact same bundle with the included cradle and michellin map sd card, after realising that the micheliin system was well, working ok but very basic, and an annoying unchangeable american voice, I coverted it to TomTom 5, which i have on CD-Rom i copied it to a blank sd card and set it up, using the same cradle as you are and the voice works fine on her's???

I am an IT tech by trade and it sounds like the voice file somehow maybe corrupt, have you got the TomTom 5 on CD?

Also what size is the sd card you are now using?

Another thing the rz1710 is configured by HP so that the available memory is comprimised by the applications on the PDA, you can manually change it, if you e-mail me your mobile or home phone number ill call you and talk you thru it

Regards
Paul
eclipse91
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2005 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I've got the CD. Bought a blank 256 mb SD card and transfered Tom Tom onto that. It all is working fine except the speaker on the Kirrio mount. I've put all the speed scameras cash collectors on and quite a few of my POI's and I have 77.67MB left. I'll PM you my e-mail address.

Bit of a novice with computers and stuff Embarassed so your advise would be great !
NavEx
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2005 4:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just got in from job, hope to get some sleep tonight, typical i was on call last night and one of our tech support contract companies networks crashed at 02.20 this morning, so off to London i wen, been there most of day, then had another appt and just got home, ill call you tomorrow and help you out, if you have any PC queries feel free to ask, I get loads of e-mails from another PC forum as i posted offering free e-mail tech support, i dont mind doing it, i enjoy helping other people out.

Speak Soon
Paul
eclipse91
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2005 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am using - other cable NMEA gps
- gps BAUD RATE 19200
- S2410 COM 1

Got sound coming through the iPAQ speaker no problem. So I would guess that the voice files are not corrupt ( ? ) The GPS status is fine it's just the speaker on the Kirrio cradle that does not work. Everything else is working as it should. No problem with memory since I put in a larger SD card. Is it a compatability problem? Are you sure that your wife's speaker is working on the cradle or is it just the iPAQ's speaker that the sound is coming through? The little blue light on the cradle does not work with Tom Tom but worked with Via Michelin. Is your wife's light on her mount off as well.?

I have tried connecting a speaker to the headphone jack but this does not work either when connected to the mount but does work when I disconnect from the mount.
b34r5
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, Im a wee bit confused... You said you loaded TomTom on and got it working but the blue light on the cradle isn't on. That light is supposed to indicate a fix, are you sure the cradle is working at all with TomTom (ie: even if the speaker isnt working.. are you still able to navigate with it)?

I was led to believe that the Kirrio cradle is compatable only with the ViaMich software, and have tried installing TomTom but have found my cradle to not work at all with it.
eclipse91
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2005 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi b34r5.

EVERYTHING works as it should EXCEPT the mount speaker. If you use the settings I listed above. The gps receiver works as it did with the Via Michelin software but the little blue light is not lit. The sound only comes out of the iPAQ 1710's tiny speaker. The mount speaker does not work at all. Tom Tom software works fine with the Kirrio cradle as all it needs is the gps signal.

When i am using Tom Tom I can hear the voice promps if I turn the voice volume to 100% no problem but when on the motorway the speaker is not loud enough.

Buying a new mount is the obvious thing to do but if I can save myself £50 ish it would be a bonus. Anyway, I love the look of the Kirrio cradle and the easy of inserting and removing of the PDA. If I am honest, I don,t really need to hear on the motorway anyway, as I can see the screen and know the u.k's motorway network well.

I am hoping NavEx has the answers but as I have 2 young kids I ent had chance to contact him yet. Shall do so in the New year.

Happy New Year to one and all !!!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: