Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TTGO 700 - Aquiring Sat Lock
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TTGO 700 - Aquiring Sat Lock

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ringostarr
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 3:42 am    Post subject: TTGO 700 - Aquiring Sat Lock Reply with quote

Hi All

Does anyone experience extended delays for sattelite lock aquisition when starting TT's from cold? I drive a Reno Laguna Estate (UK 51 Plate) and it seems to take about 30 minutes to aquire satellie lock before it starts.

I feel this is a little excessive as when I was inside the house testing it (only got it yesterday) it locked on in about 2 minutes

I don't believe the car has one of those windscreens but you never know. If i have to get an external reciever can anyone point me to a reputable (cheap) dealer?

Any Thoughts

Ta

Rich
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1st lock from new can take ages, but after that it should only take 40secs to a minute provided it can see enough satellites and most importantly you are at rest.

If you jump in the car and drive off without waiting for it, the Go can take several minutes to "catch up" (although 30 minutes sounds like something else is wrong).
Have you looked at the "GPS config." page in the menu? You will see a bar graph display showing signal strength for all the sattelites in view, grey before you get lock and turning blue once lock has been achieved.
3 or more half-height bars are needed to get a lock, more and higher is better/quicker.
adamf
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

renalt lagunas are very popular with those heat reflective windscreens does it have a purple tinge to it?? if unsure just ask someone in the car trade if it has not the take the 700 back its faulty
the other way to check is to go outside the car get a full lock .check by going to gps settings and watch the blue bars then put it in the car behind the windscreen and see if the bars suddenly drop?? if so get a external ant?

silly french cars Laughing
ringostarr
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P2002 wrote:
1st lock from new can take ages, but after that it should only take 40secs to a minute provided it can see enough satellites and most importantly you are at rest.

If you jump in the car and drive off without waiting for it, the Go can take several minutes to "catch up" (although 30 minutes sounds like something else is wrong).
Have you looked at the "GPS config." page in the menu? You will see a bar graph display showing signal strength for all the sattelites in view, grey before you get lock and turning blue once lock has been achieved.
3 or more half-height bars are needed to get a lock, more and higher is better/quicker.

40 to 60 secs Question Question Question

It took 20 minutes this morning before i gave up and set off on my journey home from work (i'm on nights) and i didnt get a lock for a further 20 minutes when i got on a major road.

However this evening when i set off i had no problems (ok ok I did switch the unit on 30 minutes or more before i set off and left it on the shelf by a window). Twisted Evil :P

When I was sat in the motor this morning i was watching the GPS status bars and lo-and-behold there were between 2 and 8 grey bars moving up and down merrily often to the top but not staying long and never turning blue hense no lock Sad
adamf
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

do what i said in prev post put it on the car roof etc in full view uo the sky then put behind windshield
ringostarr
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

adamf wrote:
renalt lagunas are very popular with those heat reflective windscreens does it have a purple tinge to it?? if unsure just ask someone in the car trade if it has not the take the 700 back its faulty
the other way to check is to go outside the car get a full lock .check by going to gps settings and watch the blue bars then put it in the car behind the windscreen and see if the bars suddenly drop?? if so get a external ant?

silly french cars Laughing

no apparent purple tinge (checked that one this morning ... but then again its very feint tinge so i could be missing it.

the bars do drop when i get in the car - but not massively ... about 10% i would say may be a bit more.

Can anyone suggest a high street retailer that has the external antennae?? ... i sence an xmas pressie from the in-laws
adamf
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tesco extra stores and staples??lot of money the 700 then have to buy other stuff...i got the nuvi by garmin sirf3 aerial also the ttone has sirf3

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: