Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Vaild GPS Signals
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Vaild GPS Signals

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
s79
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 4:30 pm    Post subject: Vaild GPS Signals Reply with quote

I am using my iPAQ 4150 with a HOLUX CR-100 and TT5.

I set it up last night for the first time, and it took ages (about 30mins) to find fix (the bars showed, but wouldnt turn blue for a sat fix). Later that night, it took only about 1 min.

This morning when I turned it on, it hadnt found any satellites after about 5 mins or so. Anyway, I switched from TomTom Wired, to Other Wired Device running on COM1. It found a sat in about 10 seconds, and then it dropped and refound another. The longer I left it running, the more satellites it found (its been running for about 20 mins now, and is on full bars with 7 found.

My question is, when I next turn it off/on (say tomorrow) will I have to wait the same amount of time to get a decent signal, or does it save??
Afton bladet (Sweden) 'Were Liverpool worthy champions? What do you mean? I see Xabi Alonso dance, Steven Gerrard weep and 45,000 people sing You'll never walk alone . The question is not whether they were worthy. The question is whether we were worthy to
MarkHewitt
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 4:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Vaild GPS Signals Reply with quote

s79 wrote:

My question is, when I next turn it off/on (say tomorrow) will I have to wait the same amount of time to get a decent signal, or does it save??

Yes it does "remember" where it was before. There is a minimum time needed to get a fix however this just a few seconds normally. The time beyond that depends on how long it takes to find out where the satellites are. If you've lost contact for a few seconds the satellites will be pretty much where you left them so can get a fix straight away. But if you've had it switched off for a few days or moved a large distance it will have to find the sats again, hence the delay.
s79
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok, thanks for the reply.

I was just at the car to test a few things...

- I turned tomtom off, and reloaded it and it took only a few seconds to get 5-7 sats back which is great.

- I powered my pda off, and unplugged the GPS, waited 15-20 seconds and started again... took about 15 seconds and I had 7 fixes once more.

so, maybe it hadnt saved properly last night, or I hadnt left it with a fix for long enough.
Afton bladet (Sweden) 'Were Liverpool worthy champions? What do you mean? I see Xabi Alonso dance, Steven Gerrard weep and 45,000 people sing You'll never walk alone . The question is not whether they were worthy. The question is whether we were worthy to

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: