Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Brixly - Fast, Reliable, Secure UK Web Hosting
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Will anybody renew their subscription ?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Will anybody renew their subscription ?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
andyjenkins
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2005 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahh, ok .. I took Traffic-I being for Palm only, as the site says that the software (and subsequent trial) is from PalmOne. My bad.

Agree on the dynamic front. However, a little bit of investigation shows its not difficult to yank out the raw data from the TrafficMaster feed. Now I just need to get a file updated at intervals, for this file to be the basis of a POI, and for TTNav to use this file to display the POI's overlayed on its interface.

Next month I plan to solve world hunger. Laughing
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2005 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keep us posted, sounds interesting Smile
mark5290
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use Traffic-I on my SPV C-500, £39.99 per year plus it costs about 2-3 pence per map data download using gprs on Orange PAYG, i drive 2000 - 2500 kms a week(HGV) over 4 days, so i need to know what is happening up ahead on the motorway.

As others have said the service is not dynamic, and you have to manually connect to the server to download the map data, so i still rely on the radio and the useless matrix signs to get advanced warning then i will check on Traffic-I.

There is a new Traffic-I service powered by RAC, i think on the orange WAP homepage, as well as giving you road data it also lets you see road junctions using the CCTV cameras downloaded to your phone.
stu14t
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2005 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is just a thought. Question

Could TomTom Make traffic a two way system where, if you unfortunately, get stuck in a jam somewhere, a signal is sent back via GPRS to automatically update the traffic server and so react quicker as more and more people join.

Ipaq 2210 6GB CF II Microdrive
TTN5 with Holux CR-100/ Globalsat 338 BT
andyjenkins
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2005 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TomTom would not be able to determine if your really stuck in a traffic jam, or if your just stopped.

User interaction would require fingers, and buttons being pressed - which I expect would be a safety issue - akin to only being able to press one button on a mobile to answer a call.

Incidently, anyone know if there's been any cases of people prosecuted for sat nav use whilst driving ?
ulroy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stu14t wrote:
This is just a thought. Question

Could TomTom Make traffic a two way system where, if you unfortunately, get stuck in a jam somewhere, a signal is sent back via GPRS to automatically update the traffic server and so react quicker as more and more people join.

In theory this is possible - I know a lot of people suggested it to TT - it would involve more GPRS traffic and a slower server, and wouldn't always work, for example it there was a jam and only one person with tt has stopped they would ignore it untill more had a problem.

With regard to being prosecuted, word on the street is that next in the pipe line is the making it an offence to operate any device while driving. This also includes those who like to open their laptops on the passenger seats and tap away!
Brightlands100
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anyone asked Tom Tom why a subscription in the UK is 20 - 30 Euros more expensive than any other country? Another example of rip-off Britain?
deesoft
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 7:35 pm    Post subject: What Price TomTom Traffic Reply with quote

Last night (26/7) I noticed on TomTom Traffic that there was a delay on the M62 East between J11 and J12. This morning (27/7) I decided, before going to Manchester to see what 'Traffic' had to tell me about the stretch between J11 and J12. The Delay was still there (6.5 miles and 13 minutes). I started out and turned on Trafficmaster - No problems. So I used the M62 J11 to J12, I drove through the so called Delay at a steady 65mph.
So I say - what price TomTom Traffic, I wont be renewing my subscription

David Eden

God gave us the Integer, the rest was devised by man.
aiw_2000
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2005 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Agree on the dynamic front. However, a little bit of investigation shows its not difficult to yank out the raw data from the TrafficMaster feed. Now I just need to get a file updated at intervals, for this file to be the basis of a POI, and for TTNav to use this file to display the POI's overlayed on its interface.

I don't know if you know about this, but the BBC have an RSS feed of their traffic reports here:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/travelnews/xml/
http://backstage.bbc.co.uk/data/TravelFeeds?v=138u
You might find these easier to 'play' with than the TrafficMaster system, although they're only updated once an hour.

Whilst it might not be as comprehensive as the TrafficMaster system, I believe this has real potential for mobile users.

aiw_2000
andyjenkins
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2005 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aiw_2000 wrote:

I don't know if you know about this, but the BBC have an RSS feed of their traffic reports here:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/travelnews/xml/
http://backstage.bbc.co.uk/data/TravelFeeds?v=138u

Interesting, but broke at the moment

Quote:
XML Parsing Error: undefined entity
Location: http://www.bbc.co.uk/travelnews/xml/tpegml_en/rtm.xml
Line Number 7, Column 1:

StevePritchard
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2005 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To go back to the original quesito in this thread, as it stands, I doubt I'll be renewing. Obviously, running the trial, I haven't had the Traffic service for long, but it seems that it's always out of date for me.

In the few weeks that I've had it, I find that it continues to reports incidents after they have cleared up - I often travel to work after 9:00 to miss worst of the traffic, and TomTom still report there being congestion even when there isn't (M6/M62 junctions), and in addition it fails to report relatively recent incidents - There was a 30 minute hold up on the M56 which it failed to report during the time I was in the area. O2's traffic line had it before I even got there.

I think either their traffic data collection mechanism is flawed, or there is some caching issue between me and them which is preventing me from getting the most up to date information.

Cheers,

Steve.
chris_w
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2005 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

StevePritchard wrote:

In the few weeks that I've had it, I find that it continues to reports incidents after they have cleared up - I often travel to work after 9:00 to miss worst of the traffic, and TomTom still report there being congestion even when there isn't (M6/M62 junctions), and in addition it fails to report relatively recent incidents - There was a 30 minute hold up on the M56 which it failed to report during the time I was in the area. O2's traffic line had it before I even got there.

I think either their traffic data collection mechanism is flawed, or there is some caching issue between me and them which is preventing me from getting the most up to date information.

Totally agree with all of this.

The subscription charge isn't cheap and the data is out of date most of the time (it's only been useful once).

On top of that there have been a few server outages as well - not for just minutes or hours - Days :x

People are paying for this service and seriously needs sorting out - the data exists it's just not being used.

Chris
StevePritchard
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had a response from TomTom regarding my point that the data seems out of date, and they have responded saying that there has been a problem with it over the last week, and have offered to increase my trial period.

Cheers,

Steve.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: