Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Jacket/sleeve for ipaq 4700
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Jacket/sleeve for ipaq 4700

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jay-Lincs
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 5:16 pm    Post subject: Jacket/sleeve for ipaq 4700 Reply with quote

Hi guys. Had no idea there was so much to sat nav. I have an ipaq 4700 and would like to run tomtom 5 on it. I am a frequent visitor to florida and frequntly get lost there so I want to download the maps for florida and use it there. From browsing it seems the neatest way to get a gps receiver would be to use a sleeve but have not found one that is compatible with the 4700 the ones reviewed on here seem to be compatible with about every other ipaq. So my question is does anybody know of a gps sleeve to use with the ipaq 4700 and has anyone used tt5 in the states? Many thanks for reading my post.Jay.
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Jay-Lincs,

Welcome to the forum! Thumbs Up

The only iPAQs that had sleeves were the 36xx, 37xx, 38xx, 39xx, and 55xx series machines. All of those machines are now quite old and haven’t been made for some time.

I would suggest that you go for a Bluetooth GPS receiver such as the GlobalSat BT-338, which is an excellent receiver. TomTom also do a receiver, which is supposed to be good.

The iPAQ 4700 will run TomTom Navigator 5 well, especially if you use the 5.100 update which is available as a free download from the TomTom website.

The only problem I have with a 4700 running TomTom Navigator 5 is that the zoom level can’t be adjusted and the screen scale is small and not as easy to read as on other PDAs. In fairness this is probably a problem for all VGA PDAs. I have a 2210, which runs TTNav 5 well, the 2210 is a QVGA PDA.

Regards,
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D
Jay-Lincs
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Robert,

Many thanks for your reply. Looks like I might as well buy the tt5 complete with BT receiver. The only reason for wanting a sleeve was to have onr piece of kit when using abroad but not a problem. Is the 2210 a new ipaq not seen that one?

I have also tried the brodit clips out after reading about them on the site, I got one to mount a phone cradle and got the ipod cradle and clip, excellent quality and work really well.

Jay
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Jay,

The 2210 is an old iPAQ, it was one of the first to have both an SD and CF card slot. It’s a good PDA for SatNav. It has not been available since the beginning of 2005. You can still get reconditioned ones.

Brodit mounts are excellent, I have a ProClip in my car and with the Brodit Move Mount system I can swap my Brodit PDA holders.

When are you going to the USA? If you get TTNav 5 GB, then it may be difficult to get the maps of USA from a UK company. You may have to check out the TomTom website and find an online store in America that is willing to send the USA maps to the UK. If you do go that route and you get the Maps of USA on SD card(s) then make a backup of the SD cards before you use them!

Regards,
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D
Jay-Lincs
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your reply Robert,

Im off to the states this October. As I understood it , with TTN5 you could buy and download additional maps from the tom tom web site as well as different voices, I think they have just added John Cleese as a new celebrity voice. Having said all this I have probably got it all wrong. A m I right in thinking it is only the addiotonal maps that would be required to use the pda in the states?

Regards Jay

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: