Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Still confused ... please help!
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Still confused ... please help!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
newbieinlondon
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 10:23 pm    Post subject: Still confused ... please help! Reply with quote

Hey all, am new to Sat Nav and thought I had finally decided on the TTG 700 with all its features (bluetooth, hard drive with Europe map etc etc) but then am having second thought. As I do not drive to work meaning I will only use it for leisure. I now ask myself, do I really need a dedicated device for my car?! I think I just want something that is accurate, features-rich and easy to use + portable!!! Since you are all expert users, please help me!!! Shall I stick with TTG or turn to mobile 5?

Really appreciate your help!!!

:D
aliendad
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

simple question to start with,

what mobile phone do you have?
newbieinlondon
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Girlfriend got a Nokia 6670 and will probably get one myself if I decide to go for tomtom mobile. BTW, which phone would you recommend?

Cheers.
newbieinlondon
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oops .... I meant to say Nokia 6630. Sorry!
aliendad
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

at the moment i have 6600, replacing it with 6260, but that is so i can use my current version of ttm5 ,
a lot say the orange c500 is much better, but i have never used one.

but c500 ttm5 can not be used on 6630.

from what i have heard...
ps want to buy a 6600? Laughing
erniew
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2005 4:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

there are many choices to be made
you have to decide what exactly you need

ttgo700 is the full monty as you have said
do you need the european maps if not and you just want uk then ttgo300 would be good

if you want to use your phone as your device then tt mobile 5 is great but you will get uk/ireland maps only with it
you will find it difficult to get extra maps (i have been trying to get a france map from tt for ages decided in the end to purchase destinator europe maps as i cant wait any longer for tt to supply)

tt mobile would be the cheapest option for just the uk

however if you are a "casual user" then it may be more cost effective to look at other systems such as wayfinder etc

i personally use tt mobile 5 with a orange spv c500
i find it works well for me in the uk
i am just installing destinator sp as i will be going abroad next week

i hope this helps but in my opinion the choices are great and decisions some times a trade of between features and cost

erniew
newbieinlondon
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2005 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks erniew. Yes, I guess I have a choice to make. Just wondering if I 'need' a dedicated device or could I make do with the mobile version. As far as the map is concerned, I will most likely to use the UK map most and perhaps Europe at some point in the future. I guess I like to understand the major differences between say the 700 vs. ttm 5 and what am I doing without (features & performance) etc.

And if any of you are using ttm 5 on Nokia 6630 then please let me know how you are finding it. Are you happy with its performance, accuaracy and features?

Cheers.
erniew
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2005 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the main difference from my point of view is the size of the display screen
obviously smaller shows less detail however tt mobile 5 uses a type of active zooming when you are driving along the map is zoomed out but as you come to a turn the map zooms in so you see the detail of the junction and where you should drive

also there is the fact that using the phone as a device and a bluetooth reciever that is the size of a pack of ten fags fits in your pocket

a dedicated device of whatever make is another piece to carry or hide as you shouldnt leave it on display when you are not in the car as it probably will be gone when you get back

tt mobile 5 can also be used when walking although i have never tried it out
did use it on the tram in nottingham where the tram goes on the road it follows but gets confused when on the dedicated tracks (keeps trying to get on a road)

i want to use it on a fast train just to see how fast you are travelling then

as far as ican see the difference between go models is 300 uk only 500 uk + europe on cd and you use a sd card to load maps 700 is europe preloaded on the device hard drive

tt mobile is usualy sold with the map of the country you live in ie uk and ireland

all the devices use the same map base and points of interest etc and extra ones can be installed from this excellent site

please excuse my ramblings as i tried to paint a picture of what you can do

erniew
newbieinlondon
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2005 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks again for your detailed explanation. I am definitely more keen on TTM 5 now. Wink

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: