Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - CoPilot Live Version 5 - Maps Appear to Have Been Lost!!
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

CoPilot Live Version 5 - Maps Appear to Have Been Lost!!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rovernut
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2005 9:39 pm    Post subject: CoPilot Live Version 5 - Maps Appear to Have Been Lost!! Reply with quote

I recently upgraded from CoPilot Live Version 4 to Version 5
The software I obtained was from a legitimate seller on Ebay on a genuine ALK sd card with unused product key etc.
The software loaded fine and after a few teething problems setting up, the system worked fine with my Ipaq 2210.
I went to use it recently and all I get is an error mesage saying that CoPilot can not be opened and run and that the sd card should be checked.
When I looked at the files on the sd card the the CoPilot folder which should contain the map data etc was empty.
?where have the files gone?

Any help/advice would be appreciated.

Thanks
Robin2
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should also have been sold the CDs containing the maps etc. You load these onto your PC and can then restore the CoPilot Quickstart files to your storage card. I should get back to your "legitimate seller" and ask for the remainder of your package. It should be of no use to him, as CoPilot can only be licensed to one user at a time. Based upon others experience with ebay purchases of GPS software, you may find that he has already sold multiple copies of the card.
Robin
Rovernut
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 9:54 pm    Post subject: CoPilot Live version 5 missing maps Reply with quote

Hi Robin2

I have two disks with the card which are marked as the European maps but they do not contain the data as far as I can see that is compatible with my pocket PC.
The whole pack is identical to the earlier version 4 I bought last year and checks out with ALK as being legit, ie quickstart SD card and European maps for use on PC for planning trips.
Are you able to help identify the relevant files that may be present on the CD's
Robin2
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There should be 2 discs, Install Disc and Data disk. Run the Install disc and follow the instructions. You have the option to copy the Data disc onto your PC. I strongly advise you to do this.
Installing onto your flash memory card using Active Sync is usually problematic. If you have a card reader, use that. Select the region whose maps you want to download - assuming you only have a UK licence, select either the whole of the UK or, if your card isn't big enough, a selected region. Choose the type of voice you want, select the version of Windows you are using and accept the option to load a Quickstart onto your card. You should, when first entering the Download wizard, have chosen the name of your card reader (in my case it's E). It takes several minutes to put it all on your flash card, but it should then run OK as soon as you put it into your PDA.
It might be worth removing your existing installation of CoPilot from your PDA, it will then install afresh from the quickstart on the flash memory card
Robin
Rovernut
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Robin2

Thanks for taking the trouble to reply.
I am a complete novice with Sat nav software but have persevered with this and have downloaded UK maps onto a new SD card together with the quickstart tools and program now fires up.
Just need to test in car to ensure that all works ok.
Having produced a replacemet card have I now lost the opportunity to download maps of europe.
I seem to remember reading somewhere with CoPilot Version 5 that if you bought the uk maps on an sd card you only had one further download before you have to buy a new licence.
I did load the software from disks to my PC as you advised but am not sure if I can download the european data from my pc to an SD card.

Thanks again for your advice.
W90BHP
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have a UK licence, you can download UK maps to your pocket device as many times as you like (eg whenever an update to the speed camera database comes out Smile )

Once you have specified the UK as your country for the single country licence, if you want to put maps for another country on your device then I think you will need to upgrade your licence. You can do this via the ALK website.

Hope that helps?

Martin
iPAQ 3970 : Navman Sleeve : CoPilot 4 : Somewhere in the loft
Robin2
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Martin correctly states the licensing position. Whether your license is for UK only or pan-Europe, you can still route anywhere in Europe on your PC - the limitation only applies to the PDA installation. Now you have it working, it might be worth downloading a European map and seeing if you can plan a route in a European country. My own version of CoPilot is pan-Europe, but I can't see any reference to that on the box the CDs came in. If your license doesn't apply to other European countries, a message will come up on the screen when you try to use it. If that is the case, you won't be able to unlock the European maps until you pay an additional fee, when you will be issued with a new activation code
Robin

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> CoPilot Live All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: