Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Full postcode search not working?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Full postcode search not working?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Juey
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2005 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had a reply from TT re the maps-

Clap not coming out till MAY.
(^ ironic.)

Ho hum.
midlandlady
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2005 1:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all. I have the new version 5 with new postcodes and I have got it working fine. I have used it several times today, no problem. Guess I was just lucky?
midlandlady
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2005 1:56 am    Post subject: New postcodes Reply with quote

I have used the new postcodes on version 5, several times today, and it worked just great. Maybe I was lucky? Also reinstalled the voice prompts for the safety camera warnings. Also working great. Now I am tempted with one of the new Tom Tom Go 700 version. Does anyone know when they will be released? and have they been reviewed on here

thanks
Nomada
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2005 2:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi MikeB
MikeB wrote:
Who said it worked on beta software with 314 maps. I have been testing the new maps as well as the new software. My understanding from TomTom is that it is part of the new map release.

Absolutely no body, as I read again the reviews and cannot find what version of maps did you use.

Only found this:

Dave wrote:
The entire v5 playtform will support 7 digit UK postcodes. The reason why some people believe this not to be the case is because the current versions of software we had under beta didn't currently support it for the reviews, so some screenshots show 4 digit still. I can confirm that all versions we ate now testing include 7 digits.

Of course, there is not any mention about version of maps.
But in my meeting this Wednesday with Ordnance Survey was told that postcode data is included with maps (TeleAtlas) just with the addresses database.

I ignore if TeleAtlas do provide their customers with different sets of maps or it is just merely a question of contracts about what data contained on the maps can be shown (as programmer this last sounds to me more logical and avoids costs maintaining different datasets).

I don't believe in the next "upgrade" will be any new folder or new files just for postcodes. It could be an open door to hackers. I think is just a commercial policy to create more expectancy and collect money later just with a new program, not database, with that function open to the customer.

If I'm wrong the new upgrade will be given in a 256 Mb memory card due to the size of that database, if right you will get another 128 Mb like actual, just with a few "updates" on maps and the postcodes "switcher" in ON position.

May be you know it already, you had that maps for your betatesting and you know how much "weight" was in them.

And the very last point: TomTom is going to make some extra cash with people in England and Netherlands. More than possible in the rest of countries will be very difficult to sell "a more accurate map" to a customer that have it few months ago but don't have an accurate postcode system that justifies the investment.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2005 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nomada wrote:
I don't believe in the next "upgrade" will be any new folder or new files just for postcodes. It could be an open door to hackers. I think is just a commercial policy to create more expectancy and collect money later just with a new program, not database, with that function open to the customer.

We have the maps and we KNOW there is an extra folder containing the PostCode data, I can see it in front of me! It is not a feature of the map data.
Quote:
And the very last point: TomTom is going to make some extra cash with people in England and Netherlands. More than possible in the rest of countries will be very difficult to sell "a more accurate map" to a customer that have it few months ago but don't have an accurate postcode system that justifies the investment.

Updated map data is one of the most frequently asked questions in relation to GPS navigation systems. By far the vast majority desire it and previous polls have indicated they are willing to pay a reasonable sum to obtain it. Whether they bought their system last year or last week it will contain the same map data release and so the justification for updating the map would be the same although the economic buying decision would be harder for the recent purcahser.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2005 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

midlandlady wrote:
Hi all. I have the new version 5 with new postcodes and I have got it working fine. I have used it several times today, no problem. Guess I was just lucky?

You would have the 5 digit PostCode option following the upgrade but not the full 7 digit lookup, this will only be available with the new map release.
Wishlist
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2005 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
We have the maps and we KNOW there is an extra folder containing the PostCode data, I can see it in front of me! It is not a feature of the map data.

So in theory, if we had that folder on ours the 7 digits would work?
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2005 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wishlist wrote:

A good question but I don't have the answer.
Wishlist
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2005 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
Wishlist wrote:

A good question but I don't have the answer.

Err perhaps you could e mail it to me and I will try for you, (in the interests of science you understand! ):D
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2005 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I could but then I'd have to shoot you and eat myself ;)
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2005 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
I could but then I'd have to shoot you and eat myself ;)

A touch of S & M!!'Twisted Evil'

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
boris
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2005 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there,

Just thought I would add my disappointment to the rest. Got back to the web after some absence and saw the long awaited update to v5 was available. All I wanted was newer maps and the full postcode search. (The database on this site IS good, but has 'holes'). Straight away started to download, (on a 56k line!) Ages later got the activation code, and installed, by this time it's late, but who cares for full postcode search I'd stay up all night....

OH NO, it doesn't work! Time to check in with you guys and find out what I am doing wrong. The answer - nothing, it just isn't on v5.

Guess we just have to wait for the map.....and pay.... Evil or Very Mad

All the best,
Boris
sgould
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2005 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do we know that the "new" postcodes are actually from the Royal mail/ordnance Survey? The folder might just contain the old out of date ones we're already using 8O
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2005 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They're licenced from the official OS database. My own town had a PostCode change two years ago, the PostCode POI sets and the UKPostCode plug-in still had the old PostCode whereas TomTom has the correct updated PostCodes.
sgould
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2005 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks! Smile

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: