Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - *NEWBIE* SPV M2000 Unreliable Signal Problems
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

*NEWBIE* SPV M2000 Unreliable Signal Problems

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nicho
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 2:58 pm    Post subject: *NEWBIE* SPV M2000 Unreliable Signal Problems Reply with quote

Yeah, yeah GPS Newbie... get over it.

This might be a really stupid problem to some of you but I don’t know what to do. I've tried everything the TOM TOM website says and I've talked to several TOM TOM technical support ANSWER MACHINES!!! But as yet, I still can’t get this product to work. On the TOM TOM website it says the M1000 is compatible with the TOM TOM 3. It doesn’t list the M2000 but does the XDA25 so I assume that it will work for the M2000 despite it not being listed. I have the fully updated 3.07 for my Pocket PC 2003 OS and I have drove around and left it running for probably around 3hrs. "Unreliable signal" is all I get and I’m getting close to making this GPS system fly. I say it MUST be something stupid that is causing this not to work.

The only other thing I am confused about is when I go into the GPS settings; I’m not entirely sure what port I am supposed to have the receiver on. It is attached to the in car phone holder and the phone holder is attached to the M2000 via the USB/Charger port so I’ve put the GPS on Serial on USB... is this correct? When it first loaded it wanted to be on "serial on COM1" but I got an error that said that port does not exist. Am I using the right com port?

Any help would be appreciated.
iancjc
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

try each of the com ports in turn the one you don't want is "GPS on Serial on USB".

serial on com1 sounds right so try serial on com2....3...4...5....etc

when the gps and tomtom are talking the gps status screen should show a constant flow of black dots on the rhs from the sat to the pda icons - if nothing is showing here they are not communicating.

Couple of other questions what make of gps unit are you using?

What gps unit have you selected in tomtom?

And finally does the m2000 have a serial port?

Ian
iancjc
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry one other point - if it says "unreliable signal" it may be connected ok - does the gps status screen bars show any activity (even if only grey bars).

Next question, can the gps mouse see the sky and do you have a coated windscreen?

Try giving the gps a clear sight of the sky outside - it can take upto 30 minutes from a cold start to get the gps data fully loaded - after this fixes should be in seconds.

HTH

Ian
alix776
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

com 1 is the what the keyboard uses so this needs to be disabled to allow the gps to work also tomtom doesn't recognize the slideout keyboard to input addresses its just an anoying quirk of the xda2s and its varients if you get stuck www.xda_developers.com are a good resoure the forum you need is for the blue angel

Oh the joys of being a courier.
device Lumia 950 xl
Nicho
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the help, there are no bars, clear skys, no heat reflective windshields. I have the TOM TOM wired gps reciever and is selected apropiratly in the settings. I guess I'll try and figure out how to disable the keyboard.
plantpot
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2005 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

set to com 1, you also need to disconnect infa red, its in start-settings-connections-beam un tick the box :

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: