Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom's map pricing totally unrealistic
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom's map pricing totally unrealistic
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mccririck
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 11:04 pm    Post subject: TomTom's map pricing totally unrealistic Reply with quote

I have Western Europe Map which I got with my XL IQ2. It does not have Poland, so I thought maybe I could buy Poland. So I go to their website, and it's only 56.8 MB so quite small, it would even fit on my inadequate 2GB of internal memory without removing the maps I have.

However, for this they want £39.95!

Eastern Europe, which has Poland as well and is 251.7 MB, costs the same amount!

Western and Central Europe costs £59.95, only £20 more than Poland.

So, why is the tiny Poland map so expensive? I'd pay £10 for it tops, no more.
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last year I paid £39.99 for 18 months of map uprates from TomTom so I'm more than happy. It expires in November 2011.
mccririck
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PaulB2005 wrote:
Last year I paid £39.99 for 18 months of map uprates from TomTom so I'm more than happy. It expires in November 2011.

That's nice. A totally different thing to what I'm complaining about though. I paid £29.95 for 2 years of map updates a couple of weeks ago. It was a good deal or I would not have paid it.

However, my original post is about countries you do not already have. Read my original post again!
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In fact why don't YOU go out and map the whole of Poland and then tell us how much you want to charge for the map?
mccririck
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PaulB2005 wrote:
In fact why don't YOU go out and map the whole of Poland and then tell us how much you want to charge for the map?

I cant begin to do that, although if I did, and I then mapped Eastern Europe, I'd charge less for the Poland map than the Eastern Europe one which includes Poland.

You are being very defensive of TomTom here.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think he was reacting more to your "TomTom pricing totally unrealistic" stance.

You're not aware of any of the underlying economic or business factors behind the pricing policy (and neither am I), so it seems a little unfounded.

If you'd said "I can't understand why I can get the whole of Eastern Europe for the same price as a single country, seems bizarre!" we might have been more inclined to agree (I would have).
mccririck
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well it's fairly obvious what I mean when you read the original post, let's not let semantics get in the way of discussion, please!
JaguarV12e
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that realism flew out the window when Tomtom paid 2 Billion euros for Tele Atlas in 2008. You work out the price per map...
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its quite simple, TomTom will charge whatever they think the market will stand for their products which includes maps. You might even find that if you location was different to the UK the Poland map might be cheaper but being UK based you have to pay the UK price.

If you don't agree with the price the simple answer is don't purchase the product, if everyone did this TomTom would lower there prices, this is a basic law of commerce (supply & demand).

One other way to view the price comparison of the Eastern Europe map vs Poland map, is that the Poland map is priced correctly, in which case the Eastern Europe map is extreamly good value with more mapping suppplied for the same price - Mike
mccririck
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I'm not allowed to point this anomoly out then? You're not interested? It's "just what TomTom do". ok then, so it their rubbish safety cam database, so is the fact they only put 2GB memory in devices sold with more than 2GB maps....

Obviously we're not allowed to complain here about annoying TomTom practices. Thanks for making that clear.
Guivre46
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not to mention [it probably already has], that their pricing is designed to point you to taking out the map update subscription which, for them, is early money.
Kia In-dash Tomtom
mccririck
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guivre46 wrote:
Not to mention [it probably already has], that their pricing is designed to point you to taking out the map update subscription which, for them, is early money.

Well to me their pricing of maps like the Poland one is going to tempt many people to install maps from dodgy sources for free.
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mccririck wrote:
So I'm not allowed to point this anomoly out then? You're not interested? It's "just what TomTom do". ok then, so it their rubbish safety cam database, so is the fact they only put 2GB memory in devices sold with more than 2GB maps....

Obviously we're not allowed to complain here about annoying TomTom practices. Thanks for making that clear.

You can. Mike suggested if you don't like their map prices then simply don't buy them and they will eventually drop the price. Look at their rubbish speed camera database - people buy ours instead. Oh, look, they've just dropped their speed cams to £10 from £40...!

MaFt
mccririck
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wont be buying it. But I would rather have a legitimate copy, this is why I'm complaining about it...
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll assume you can provide some sort of breakdown as to how much it costs to get the data, collate it and distribute it vs. the total revenue each map generates? If so please show your working. I'd like to see how much we're being ripped off by.

If you don't like the price, don't buy. No-one is forcing you to use a TomTom or a sat nav. There are cheaper alternatives out there. I understand paper maps are still available although they do lack all the convenience of a sat nav.

If you were selling maps would you sell them at the best price you could because you are in business to (SHOCK HORROR) make money or would you give them away at cost price because you are a nice guy?

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: