Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Garmin Nuvi 350 & Speed camera database
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Garmin Nuvi 350 & Speed camera database

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AndrewSymons
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 9:38 am    Post subject: Garmin Nuvi 350 & Speed camera database Reply with quote

Dear Someone,

What a most complex site this is! I have just shelled out £19 to download the speed camera database to my new Garmin Nuvi 350.

Downloaded the 'Speed Zoned' 24 file package to my computer and stored it in a folder. Then transferred files to Garmin with POI download software.

OK, so the files are now on the Garmin and I can see them all there in the Custom POIs.

But nothing shows when I am driving around or when using navigation mode!

Not much point in this - do I get my £19 back? or can someone help.

This appears to be a completely uncontactable company!

HELP PLEASE
RDS
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although a bit of a Nuvi 310 novice myself from what you've said it appears you've got things right so far.

So,

Check to see if you have 'Alerts' activated. Go to Settings/Proximity Points/Alerts/Change. Custom POI's should be ticked. Also while you're there check 'Audio' which should be Continuous-Speed Alerts.

Then.

Go to My Locations/Custom POI's and select one of the camera speed zone files. Then have a look at an individual camera file. It should have the Camera, Proximity Alarm, Distance and Speed details.

If that's all OK, then.....

Assuming you have actually been passing speed camera sites what sort of speed are you doing ?

From memory I think it should be something like,

Over the speed limit and you should receive several 'bongs' and a text warning.
Between the speed limit and approx 10mph below you should receive a single audible warning and text details of the camera site.
Below 10mph of the the speed limit I don't believe you receive a warning.

Finally, if you've passed a camera without receiving a warning, and all the above has been applied, it may actually be a site that isn't yet in the database. If you are the first one to report it you can receive free lifetime membership.

Let us know how you get on.
BigO36
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andrew.
I am having the same problem as you, but with a Garmin 2610.

It seems to be a problem with Garmin.

RDS's repley was very precise, only one thing I couldn't follow, where do I look for "Alerts"?

I wonder if he could help me with that.

Hope you don't mind me butting in on your forum.

Thanks, Owen
Anita
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BigO36 wrote:
. . . only one thing I couldn't follow, where do I look for "Alerts"?

RDS wrote:
. . . Go to Settings/Proximity Points/Alerts/Change.

Settings will be an option on one of the menus on your unit. I can't tell you which screen, as I don't have a 2610, but on the i3 it's on the first screen when you turn the unit on.
Samsung Galaxy S21
RDS
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I only have a Nuvi so am unfamiliar with the menus in other Garmin models.

On the Nuvi when you work through Settings/Proximity Points you then have a screen with two headings 'Alerts' and 'Tour Guide'. Along side each is a blue key or button from where further options can be selected.

I'd suggest a post on this forum specifically for the problem you're having with a 2610. Hopefully someone who's familiar with the model will be able to help
AndrewSymons
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 7:36 pm    Post subject: Garmin Nuvi 350 & speed camera alerts Reply with quote

Dear RDS, Big036 and Anita,

Good to know this is an excellent forum - RDS has solved the problem (in theory anyway) - I have found the POI alert activation under the Settings/Proximity points icon - the latter is added when the POIs are downloaded and you have to scroll down one screen to see this new icon - that's what I was missing!

So all turned on and also the alert sound on as well - so the practice comes tomorrow on the road.

Thanks for all your help.

Andrew
BigO36
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anita,

Thanks for your prompt reply.
I think the reason I'm not getting any replies from 2610 owners is, it can't be done.
I can't find a facility for changing Proximity points or Alerts anywhere in the settings tab on my unit.

Andrew, I,m sorry for hi-jacking your forum.
Owen.
Anita
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry no one's been able to help you so far, Owen. Maybe someone with a 2610 will be along soon to give a hand.

I've had a look at the manual on the Garmin website to no avail, but I can't believe there isn't a way to change proximity alerts.
Samsung Galaxy S21
RobBrady
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2006 1:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Garmin Nuvi 350 & Speed camera database Reply with quote

AndrewSymons wrote:
Dear Someone,

What a most complex site this is! I have just shelled out £19 to download the speed camera database to my new Garmin Nuvi 350.

Downloaded the 'Speed Zoned' 24 file package to my computer and stored it in a folder. Then transferred files to Garmin with POI download software.

OK, so the files are now on the Garmin and I can see them all there in the Custom POIs.

But nothing shows when I am driving around or when using navigation mode!

Not much point in this - do I get my £19 back? or can someone help.

This appears to be a completely uncontactable company!

HELP PLEASE

Hi Andrew,

Hopefully everything worked as it should today.

<<This appears to be a completely uncontactable company!>> We don't hide on purpose, honest guv Wink

First and foremost the place to contact us, as you have done, is on the forums, but we do have a contact page listed in the left-hand navigation under GPS Central. Smile

I've pasted a snippet from our FAQs below to explain better how the system works:

Quote:
We get several thousand emails per week (yes really!) and unfortunately it's inevitable that the odd one gets missed. Your question or comment will be more efficiently responded to in the forums, after all, that is what they are there for!

If your question is regarding the download of the Speed Camera Database please post it in the Speed Camera Forums.

Post your question and, usually within 24 hours, someone will help you. However, often you will receive your answer MUCH quicker. Sometimes, though very rarely, it may take a little longer at the weekends, over holiday periods or when team members are travelling abroad on business.

Posting support requests in our forums also helps others who are experiencing the same problem get a resolution to their problem. When time is precious and we aren't in the forums, there is still a wealth of knowledge from other GPS users which can help resolve a problem especially when they have the same equipment as you.

BigO36
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2006 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anita ,

Thanks again for your help.
I don't believe it can't be done with a 2610 either,but no one has come on to prove otherwise.

I'll post another forum and see if I have any better luck.

Owen.
RobBrady
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BigO36 wrote:
Anita ,

Thanks again for your help.
I don't believe it can't be done with a 2610 either,but no one has come on to prove otherwise.

I'll post another forum and see if I have any better luck.

Owen.

Hi Owen,

I've seen somewhere that the Speed Camera Database as a Garmin POI Map MAY work.

WiRED should be able to help here.

Good luck!
j-a-m-e-s
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello all,

i have a garnin c350 nuvi, but i dont have an option in the settings menu labelled 'proximity points' other than the one which turns them on or off. Is this right? I ask this question because reading the above posts leads me to believe there should be a more detailed options menu relating to proximity points.

Any ideas or tips would be greatly appreciated as i am also struggling to get the speed camera warnings to work!

Cheers,

James
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

j-a-m-e-s wrote:
Hello all,

i have a garnin c350 nuvi, but i dont have an option in the settings menu labelled 'proximity points' other than the one which turns them on or off. Is this right? I ask this question because reading the above posts leads me to believe there should be a more detailed options menu relating to proximity points.

Any ideas or tips would be greatly appreciated as i am also struggling to get the speed camera warnings to work!

I don't have a Garmin to hand but according to RDS's post above it is:

Settings/Proximity Points/Alerts

Does that help?

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: