Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - nuvi 2460LMT or 3790T
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

nuvi 2460LMT or 3790T

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
macklij
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 9:03 pm    Post subject: nuvi 2460LMT or 3790T Reply with quote

I'm about to replace an ageing TT Go 900 (amazing how things move on - this thing has a hard disc!)

I am thinking about a Garmin because (a) I have an early Garmin hand held and love it and (b) I don't do many miles a year so don't want to pay for traffic - RDS-TMC should be fine.

I do like toys and I'm really attracted to the 3790 because of the hi res display and 3D map features with terrain. However, I am also drawn to the lifetime maps on the 2460.

I'd appreciate any thoughts / experience with these models and if anyone could tell me how much single map updates for the 3790 cost I'd be grateful (I am London based, but would want Euro maps). Also, are Garmins any worse/better than TomTom at not sending you down narrow lanes with grass growing up the middle? :-)

Finally, I like to permanently install a mount on my dash, with the power supplied to the mount, so I don't have to worry about power cables. Am I right in thinking both of these have powered mounts available - information is a bit patchy!

Thanks in advance!
xtraseller
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Loved the look and idea of the 3790 with 3D terrain, buildings, etc. - and like you willing to give up HD Traffic (even though I think it's great IQ Routes or Garmins copy-cat TrafficTrends version, if relatively accurate would work for me most of the time)

In practice the 3790 screen is small (sharp I agree, but a little wasted on Garmins mapping render) and - my biggest disappointment - it's routing was not sustainable for me and I gave up on it

TomTom and Navman routing work well - and Navigon is pretty good most of the time. Garmin's - for me - is useless

Maybe if you are set on a Garmin over another unit, try out their new units due next month (February 2012) which apparently feature a new routing engine, among some other nice features (birds eye view at junctions) - hopefully they have recognised that routing is faulty and this new version brings it in line with the other leading PNDs
Nexus 6p, Apple iPhone 6sPlus and Microsoft Lumia 950xl running TomTom, Garmin, CoPilot, Navigon, Sygic, Here Drive, Google, Waze, MS Maps
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 8:15 pm    Post subject: Re: nuvi 2460LMT or 3790T Reply with quote

macklij wrote:
how much single map updates for the 3790 cost I'd be grateful (I am London based, but would want Euro maps)

For £75 you get free map updates for life, thats four new maps per year covering Europe for the 3790T - No idea what the cost of a single update is as I only bothered with the lifetime offer.

macklij wrote:
Finally, I like to permanently install a mount on my dash, with the power supplied to the mount, so I don't have to worry about power cables.

Thats exactly what I have done with my 3790T, I used a Brodit "ball" and Pro-Clip, the power cable for the device is also the RDS-TMC receiver supplied with the unit, it's not difficult to add a second ciggy lighter socket behind the dash and plug the Gramin cable in to that before burying the whole lot behind the dash make sure you tape the charger lead in to the socket to prevent it from working loose while driving.

As the power lead doubles as the RDS receiver the cable is rather thick, you might want to have a look at this in the shop (Halfords etc) prior to purchase to get an idea of what you are trying to hide. To aid the RDS reception I coupled the RDS string aerial to the cars main FM aerial via a tiny ceramic disk capacitor, this ensures you still get a useable signal even with the whole lot hidden out of sight - Mike
macklij
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the comments.

Mike, I like the idea of pulling the FM signal in from the car's antenna.

Xtrastellar, thanks for the info about the routing. That does worry me, so I may well wait for February and see what they come up with (but maybe then I'll be concerned about the stability of a brand new software platform).

Justin
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't get too concerned about Garmin's routing. I have a 1310 and a 1490, both now very stable devices and routing works fine. Garmin have a habit of releasing units that are not very stable, so I certainly wouldn't want to be an 'early adopter' Wink
macklij
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sussamb wrote:
I wouldn't get too concerned about Garmin's routing. I have a 1310 and a 1490, both now very stable devices and routing works fine. Garmin have a habit of releasing units that are not very stable, so I certainly wouldn't want to be an 'early adopter' Wink

That's really interesting. I read somewhere about the stability problems the 3790T had when launched. I' ve been reading up about the soon to be released 3490LMT and was wondering if that is likely to suffer similar issues. You confirm the likelihood - thanks.

Not being familiar with Garmin I was wondering - is it normal for Garmin to let you upgrade new releases of software to older models? I.e. is it likely that I could run the latest 3490 software on a 3790T?

Thanks
inspiredron
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read somewhere on this forum that the high res units are bad at showing the poi bitmaps. Because the symbol has a fixed number of pixels in each direction it appears smaller on a high resolution screen, such as the 37xx series. Just a thought? I don't know whether the same applies to general text displays - eg the directions and road names.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: