Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Import Experience from non EEC countries?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Import Experience from non EEC countries?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Other Hardware and Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fraserp
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2004 10:16 am    Post subject: Import Experience from non EEC countries? Reply with quote

Hi,
I'm looking a buying a cable from an overseas supplier, Hong Kong I think. Does anyone have any experience of the process?

I recently had a very bad experience with import charges and duties. I purchased $40 worth of goods from the USA, $55 inc delivery (£35 ish). When It arrive I was charged, (in import duty and 'handling charges', thats the term used for paying the import taxes on your behalf) a further £25! Crying or Very sad

So a cheap deal was a very expensive total charge.

I know the cables are not expensive, say £5-£10 each, but if the same happens again there may be say a further £20 or more to pay!
SatMap
Pc-Mobile
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2004 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everyone should be aware of import duty when ordering goods from overseas. It is the responsibilty of "importer".

The supplier should not charge/pay import duty "on your behalf". May be it was the carrier who did it. So it makes a difference as to which carrier you use for shipping.

If you were new to this site or did not know us, may be some one may tell you that we use agent in UK so send most GPS related cable orders from UK, if you were comtemplating ordering from us. But then yes, we are a Hong Kong company.
Fraserp
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2004 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I understand that I need to pay the duty, it was just the additional fee the handler charged. It was the local end carrier who 'automatically' paid the charge on my behalf and added the fee for doing it!

Re your local agent, this sound great if you have the cable i require in the UK. There is another posting with that spec in mind.

Thanks for the feed back.
Toodle pip!
SatMap
Hunnymonster
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2004 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Couriers like Fedex/DHL/etc always load a huge admin charge (I've seen it up to £30) on top of any VAT & Duty that's payable - the Post Office load on something in the order of £2 for a small packet or £5 on a parcel - still an outrageous fee IMO

Either way a cable ought to be well within the dutiable limit (£18) and attract no attention from HM Customs (or their agents at Mount Pleasant International Mail Centre)
Fraserp
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2004 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes , it was FEDEX!

IMHO, they need slapping down for it. You have no choice, other than to pay, and you dont get told until it arrives in the UK!

Importers beware!

Grrrrrrr Evil or Very Mad
SatMap
Talkingbollox
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2004 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The rules are quite clear. Items > £18 imported from outside the EU attract Customs duty and VAT.

The admin fee, is charged to "clear" your item thorugh Customs, and lets face it, these courier companies are commercial enterprises that exist to make a profit for their stakeholders.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Other Hardware and Software All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: