Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Putting Map of USA on 1005 Europe Model
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Putting Map of USA on 1005 Europe Model

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pete1336
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 3:29 pm    Post subject: Putting Map of USA on 1005 Europe Model Reply with quote

I currently have a Tomtom 1005 model which sports European Maps. I have a trip to Florida coming up and wish to purchase USA maps. They are reasonably priced at just under £25 from the tomtom map shop. Couple of questions if I may please?
1. My first quesiton relates to getting the USA map onto the device when it currently tells me I have about 135 mb only of free space left. I assume if I were to buy and download the USA map, the mytomtom software would remove the Europe map placing it onto my hard drive and install the USA map as a stand alone map? Is my assumption correct? I'm hoping that once the trip is over there is an option in the mytomtom software which would allow me to reinstall the Europe map and somehpw transfer USA map to hard drive of PC where it would remain available?

2. Will my tomtom HD traffic service work in Florida?

Thanks all,
Peter
dhn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are various 1005 models, some with sd micro card slots, some without. Which is yours?

Supposedly, if you do not have a slot, MyTomTom will offer to move your existing map back to your account to free up space to install a new map. When map from the States, you reverse the process, MyTT will move the USA map to your account and you can re-install the existing map.

If you have a LIVE unit, the HD Traffic will NOT work in the USA. Different sim providers (Vodaphone in Europe, AT&T in the States).
pete1336
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

David,
Thanks for the reply. Mine is the original which came without a card slot. As long as it's possible for to install the USA map without losing my current Europe map Im quite happy. From what you say it appears the mytomtom software caters for this. Saves me from buying a 1005 world.

Thanks for the reply on the HD traffic.

Regards,
Pete
PaulWH
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you purchase a TT 1005 World model would it have the ability to work with both AT&T in North America and Vodafone in Europe ?
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, Paul, it wouldn't.

They do sort of admit it... if you know what you're looking for!
If you look at the TT website page for the World Edition, it does quietly say "One year FREE LIVE Services Europe"
PaulWH
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Andy

So presumably the 1005 World edition purchased in North America would be AT&T only.

I bet a few purchasers of the TT1005 World edition in Europe get a surprise when the go on holiday to the States.

Assumption can be a dangerous thing.
matthewj
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 3:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Putting Map of USA on 1005 Europe Model Reply with quote

pete1336 wrote:
I assume if I were to buy and download the USA map, the mytomtom software would remove the Europe map placing it onto my hard drive and install the USA map as a stand alone map? Is my assumption correct? I'm hoping that once the trip is over there is an option in the mytomtom software which would allow me to reinstall the Europe map and somehpw transfer USA map to hard drive of PC where it would remain available?

Fundamentally, this is correct, but there are BIG caveats. At least there were on my old 740 when I did this. I installed the USA map and it nicely removed the EU for me. But in removing the EU it removed ALL of the customisation data, so that my POI and Favourites disappeared when I put it back again. I'm lucky as I could just copy in the version I'd taken before starting using Windows explorer, but you may not get it back as was. Maybe they've done a better job on the 1005 though?

As for traffic, my original 740 LIVE actually did connect and get traffic while in Florida. However, no traffic actually appeared on the maps, so I suspect I was getting regular updates about the UK, and then the satnav was removing any more than 75km away...

But it was nice to have a familiar device to navigate around with.
pete1336
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, thanks for the replies. Another question then. Will my 1005 cigarette lighter charger fit an American car? Are their cig lighters the same?
rwbaldwin
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are the same, but a few of the smaller car rental places have started to block them off.
matthewj
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rwbaldwin wrote:
They are the same, but a few of the smaller car rental places have started to block them off.

Good point. I got a "Full size" car from Alamo, and there is no lighter socket in the usual place. But in the central box there was one there, so I just strung the wire from there across the wheel to the satnav in the window. It was never a problem. Make sure you have a good length cable though.

Oh yes, one last bit of advice. Turn the satnav on as you get to the car rental place, so it gets a fix (having crossed the world it will take a while). Then create a favourite for your current location - that will help you get back at the end of the trip. And if the satnav says "no route possible", then that's because the location is in the middle of roads, so view the location on the map and target an appropriate road.
pete1336
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Diolch.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: