Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - POI's TomTom 1005 couple of Questions
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

POI's TomTom 1005 couple of Questions

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sdm197
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 8:44 am    Post subject: POI's TomTom 1005 couple of Questions Reply with quote

Hi All,

On my TT940 on TT Home you used to be able to download various POI sets from there. On my TT1005 there no longer seems to be that option in "My TomTom", sure you can add 3rd part POI's like PGPSW but from other sources.

I wanted to update some of my POI's which are old now and inaccurate like Shell Fuel Stations for example, does anyone have any suggestions? When I say suggestions, I mean recommendations where to get up to date POI's. I know you can get some from this site just wondered if anyone else had any other good sources.

Finally, how can I remove the TT Speed Cameras POI from my TT1005 which are taking up space and will never be used?

thanks in advance for any replies,

SDM197.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're correct that there is no equivalent to the "libray" of POIs that you got in Home on the new MyTomTom system.

But I have to say, I never used the POIs from Home because they were often pretty poor compared to the ones from this site (and sometimes stolen from pay-sites!)

As I think you realise, the actual USE of POI files is exactly the same on the new models as on the old ones - you just need to use the "Add community content" section of MyTT to load them on.

-------------

Now, I'm a bit confused why you're asking about other sites for things like Shell petrol stations, when the version from here is excellent!

Like many of the sub-categories, you can either download some or all of the individual petrol brands, or combine any sub-set of them you like into a single file. You can't do that anywhere else!

A while back I created a clickable list of all the on-line POI collections and websites I could think of in an earlier topic (here), but personally I never find I need to use them. I can get everything I need here.

www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=POIs
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, I forgot your last question...

TomTom's speed cameras.... I don't think you can remove them.

You could have a look in MyTomTom - go to "Manage content" (in the green box at top right) and they will be listed in the "My speed cameras" section. It would be nice if there was a "Remove" button there, but I've never seen one on my installation.

I just turn them off in the menus, and so far I haven't had space issues that couldn't be solved with an SD card (but I realise some of the new models don't have one!).
sdm197
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HI Andy,

It's Andy to the rescue again, thanks for your advice I have now looked at the POI's on here for Shell and in fact they do look pretty damn good!

what do you mean by "or combine any sub-set of them you like into a single file. You can't do that anywhere else! "

do you mean Download all the Filling Stations you want say Esso/Shell/BP as one file??

thanks again,

SDM197.
Daggers
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sdm197 wrote:
what do you mean by "or combine any sub-set of them you like into a single file. You can't do that anywhere else! "

do you mean Download all the Filling Stations you want say Esso/Shell/BP as one file??

That's exactly what he means. Just tick the sub-categories you want, then select the "Combine subcategories..." option at step 4 on the download page.

Also - please help to keep the POIs up-to-date by submitting additions/corrections should you see them. Petrol stations in particular have a habit of being rebranded on a regular basis!
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Daggers... yes that's what I meant.

For "fuel" I don't really care what brand I use, so I just de-select all the Diesel, AutoGas and fuel card entries to avoid getting duplicates.
- then download the rest as one combined file.

---------------

I do the same with things like Electrical shops... I don't see any need to have all the different companies as separate categories, so I just make my own one with only the ones I'm interested in.
So from "Shopping / Consumer Electrics" I choose:
Comet
Currys
Currys Digital
Maplin
PC World

I download them all combined and then rename the file "Electrical Shops" before I put it onto the TomTom.

--------------

It gets a bit trickier if you want to combine shops from DIFFERENT categories though...

For my "DIY shops" POI, I took a few from "Builder & DIY Supplies", i.e.
B&Q
Focus
Homebase
Wickes

... but then I also wanted to add Halfords from "Shopping / Other". Rolling Eyes

So to manage that, I had to download all the first lot (combined), then download Hafords on its own, and finally use POI Edit to merge the two files together.

Hey Presto! A bit of fiddling, but I ended up with just what I wanted. Very Happy
sdm197
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Daggers and Andy,

Excellent! Thanks for the tips.

SDM197.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: