Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - 1695: Turn left & right at the same junction
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

1695: Turn left & right at the same junction

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Londondecca
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 7:39 pm    Post subject: 1695: Turn left & right at the same junction Reply with quote

A development with my 1695 seems to be the verbal instruction to turn left at a junction but the display indicates to turn right or visa versa. Generally if I follow the verbal routing I am quickly instructed to 'make a u turn' which can be a tad frustrating

Similar problems at roundabouts eg told to take the first exit but third exit is indicated

The 1695 has the latest software upgrades and the map is dated Feb 2011.

I have tried multiple hard resets but with no luck

Despite owning the Garmin for just over six months, the first 5 months only received light use so I am unable to say if the problem is new or always existed on my unit

Any suggestions on how to fix this problem
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To help on this could you confirm whether your 1695 is set to display Map view in Track Up or North up mode?

Also provide an example of a junction where this is occurring and which route you were taking?
Londondecca
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, double post

Last edited by Londondecca on Mon Jul 18, 2011 9:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
Londondecca
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Londondecca"]
sussamb wrote:
To help on this could you confirm whether your 1695 is set to display Map view in Track Up or North up mode?

Map is set for 3D

sussamb wrote:
Also provide an example of a junction where this is occurring and which route you were taking?

Here is a google map of a roundabout near the M6 [url] http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&biw=1600&bih=732&q=ca11+0dq&um=1&gl=uk&resnum=1&ie=UTF-8&hq=&hnear=0x487cfb410cf3df97:0x1c72f94e718f3a34,Penrith,+Cumbria+CA11+0DQ&gl=uk&ei=pHYkToTtHYeXhQfjvpGbAw&sa=X&oi=geocode_result&ct=title&resnum=1&ved=0CBcQ8gEwAA [/url]

Coming from the A592 and heading for the M6, Garmin says take the first exit but the unit indicates taking the (correct) 2nd exit

Another strange one is "CA1 3ER (Fantasweets Cupcakes)" to "CA1 3QB (Central Chippy)". Sorry, I cannot think of another way of showing a route, but in Google maps this shows the junction of London Road & Eastern Way. If travelling down London Road I would turn right onto Eastern Way. The verbal instructions from Garmin are to "turn left and then make a u-turn" The only viable way to the Central Chippy is to turn right

Edit. These coordinates in google give the specific junction 54.878866,-2.909381

Hope at least some of this makes sence
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine does the same, obviously map errors rather than your 1695 Smile
Londondecca
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the responce and clarification of the problem.
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Londondecca wrote:
Here is a google map of a roundabout near the M6
As a matter of academic interest, Navtequ maps have got this roundabout junction right
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, M8TJT, you're absolutely correct, must have been way too late when I did that last night as I'd clearly confused my roundabouts and/or programmed my 1490 incorrectly. I've just checked the roundabout problem again and mine says 'take second exit', so not sure why the OP's 1695 has it wrong.

The chippy one though is definitely a mapping error, quite possible this was once a 'no right turn' junction but that restriction's been lifted.
Londondecca
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried my 1695 in demo mode at the roundabout and what is strange is that it correctly identified the 2nd exit, both in verbally and with the arrows and yet every day for the last two months I drove past, the Garmin had a 100% failure ie told to take first exit but arrows point to second exit

I allow U turns on the navigation options and wondered if this was causing the problem, so I turned this option off and then demoed the ‘chippy’ route. I expected to drive along London road and turn right onto Eastern Way. This did not happen, Garmin told me to drive past Eastern Way and half a mile later took me on a weird route which brought me back onto London road on what may be described as a glorified U turn. So I am now driving back down the same road and then told to turn left onto Eastern Way.

These may well be mapping errors but how does a unit give verbal instructions which seem to contradict the visual instructions

The only other similar problem to mine was posted here [url] http://forums.gpsreview.net/viewtopic.php?t=23214 [/url] but this was with a different model
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The chippy problem is definitely a map error, that is prohibiting a right turn at that junction.

I can't explain the roundabout one Crying or Very sad
Londondecca
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your help. I wonder if my unit is faulty, so will contact the seller and see what they say

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: