Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Brixly - Fast, Reliable, Secure UK Web Hosting
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Stolen TT unit and other bits
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Stolen TT unit and other bits
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 9:26 am    Post subject: Re: Stolen TT unit and other bits Reply with quote

1ee wrote:
Why are TT not able to bar the sim with the airtime network they use to supply the live data to the unit?

They could but that would only prevent the unit from using LIVE services, it would continue to work as a satnav.
Quote:
I've just purchased the map update for the 740 and hope TT will allow me to use the update for the new unit, as anyone else been successful in having a map update assigned to another unit?

The GO 1000 will come with a free map update, you cannot transfer a map subscription or update to another device.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 9:43 am    Post subject: Re: Stolen TT unit and other bits Reply with quote

1ee wrote:
I've just purchased the map update for the 740 and hope TT will allow me to use the update for the new unit, as anyone else been successful in having a map update assigned to another unit?

Whilst the usual response from TT is to say no to transferal of map update schemes from one device to another, it has happened before, your best bet is to give them a ring on 0845 161 0009 as they might surprise you - Mike
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 10:36 am    Post subject: Re: reply to Darren's comments Reply with quote

1ee wrote:
Thanks for the reply Darren.

I understand the unit can still be used but why not kill the live info its one less feature the thief will have. Is it a case TT don't care? A thief can buy the live service so more coppers in the TT bank? If a unit does contain a sim why does TT not introduce a remote wipe function?

I take it you have asked TomTom to block the SIM? What did they say?
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 1:11 pm    Post subject: Re: sim reply Reply with quote

1ee wrote:
i did ask them and the person I spoke to appear to not give a 4x which I think is disgusting.

I think they should be more proactive as the mobile network are with stolen phones.

I do think in todays world a remote wipe such be introduced and if you find the unit and its yours, you may re enable the maps and functions why is that so difficult?

Indeed there is no technical reason why this could not be offered.
Quote:
Am I being being thick here - is it a case of people like me go back out to buy another generating more income for the likes of TT hence the reason they do nothing?

I can't see how it would generate more income, you'd still need to replace it and a thief is hardly likely to attempt to renew a subscription.

I'll raise this issue with TomTom and see if we can elicit a response.
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another part of the problem is the thief won't be thinking about the subs or services on the unit - much like car thieves won't care about the service history. Its probably being stolen to be sold on quickly. The person buying the item will most likely know it's dodgy and again won't care about the subs and services. They get a cheap throw away unit and the theft gets his cash. Even if the services could be blocked it's unlikely it's going to bother the thief or the subsequent buyer.

Unfortunately the only real way to inconvenience these people is not to leave the unit in the car in the first place.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's very true. The ability to block a SIM doesn't deter phone thieves, they don't care as they can still sell it on and as Paul correctly states, anyone who buys stuff like this does so either in the full knowledge it's 'hooky' or doesn't care.

What we need is an option such as Apple offer on iPhone. This allows you to locate a device. It's only made possible with SatNav now some have data connections and SIM cards. But if it was offered, even as an extra cost service or as part of LIVE, it may deter thieves.
LesP2008
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PaulB2005 wrote:
Unfortunately the only real way to inconvenience these people is not to leave the unit in the car in the first place.

Funny quote, but so true.
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would be good if you could "kill" the LIVE units from TomTom Home as I believe you can with an iPhone. However a thief isn't going to take time to learn which units this can work with and avoid stealing them. They will just steal the unit and worry about it later. Any blocking feature would only be of use to exact retribution again the thief or those who buy stolen goods. I doubt it'll prevent any thefts and it'll be the legitimate purchaser who will pay extra for the function.
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please do not use asterisks or alternative spelling to circumvent the swear filter.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, personally, if it was my phone I'd go and extract retribution directly but I take your point.

Remote wipe at least allowed you the peace of mind that personal info was not accessible though. But we can't blame the feature for the antipathy of police in some matters Sad
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same in UK English given the context it was used. However the Forum rules forbid swearing. If the auto censor censors the word then we don't expect members to resort to tricks to get around the auto censor.
Guivre46
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just shows that you need to take great care with what visible clues about valuable items you leave in/on your vehicle, more so when lean times are on us. Also nicking from people is more than just flogging stuff in the local pub for £25 a time. Miserable people seem to want to pass that misery on.
Kia In-dash Tomtom
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's just a point of clarification, no-one bears any grudge or ill will I assure you Smile
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And speaking personally, some of us have no problem with you using asterisks anyway.
They aren't swearing and nothing worse than you would see in any daily newspaper, but unfortunately they do seem to give Paul an attack of the vapours every time.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: