Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - ipaq 3970 windows 2003 bluetooth
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

ipaq 3970 windows 2003 bluetooth

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Other Hardware and Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
megamart100
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2004 5:41 pm    Post subject: ipaq 3970 windows 2003 bluetooth Reply with quote

i have installed windows 2003 on my ipaq from 2002 only to find that i have lost bluetooth all together now i have read in places that they do a win 2003 without bluetooth rom and are wondering if this why i have lost bluetooth how do i correct this problem is there a windows mobile 2003 with bluetooth rom ??? and if so where can i get from yhx
Tim Buxton
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2004 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You wouldn't be able to install the 395x ROM (non-bluetooth) on the 397x (bluetooth) iPAQs. The part number for the correct ROM is FA176A#AC3. Is this the part No. of the CD you used? What is your ROM version now showing?
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2004 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a really bad feeling about this. Where did you get the upgrade from? The only legitimate way to get a Pocket PC 2003 ROM for a 3970 is to buy the upgrade kit and use the upgrader on the CD.

If you downloaded an upgrade from somewhere on the Internet, the chances are that you got a beta version of the ROM. Most beta versions don't have working Bluetooth support, even though they are 3970 ROMs. Check in the Asset Viewer (under Start Menu, Settings) - if the ROM is not 4.00.08, you have a beta ROM.

If you've installed a beta ROM, you may be in trouble, as I have heard of people finding it impossible either to upgrade from the beta ROMs to 4.00.08 or to go back to the 2.10 Pocket PC 2002 ROM.

David
megamart100
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2004 1:02 am    Post subject: reply Reply with quote

version rom= 4.00.00 eng
os version win ce 4.2
rom date 05.05.03
on the ipaq at moment have got bluetooth now but not working says require reset not enough driver memory also when i use nevo bluetooth manager tries kicking in as well but fails then nevo works...and from your question yes downloaded of net !!! i have another rom i can put on but this gives me no bluetooth at all but everything works fine
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2004 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

4.00.00 is a beta ROM - basically you're now on your own. Even if you buy the official Pocket PC 2003 upgrade kit (which contains ROM 4.00.08 with working Bluetooth) I believe, based on other people's experiences who have installed early beta ROMs, that you won't be able to use the kit to install 4.00.08 or revert to 2.10.

You may also have trashed the iPAQ's asset tag / serial number information, which means that software that uses that information for licensing purposes, such as TomTom Navigator, will not work. This cannot be sorted by the user - it needs service centre attention to fix. Check in the Asset Viewer to see whether these details are blank or not.

An HP service centre could downgrade your iPAQ to 2.10 - and that's what I would recommend under the circumstances. The ideal would be if you can do it yourself, but I doubt you can (I think the various installers may fail to authorise, even if you had the one from the official Pocket PC 2003 upgrade kit, which will go from 2.10 to 4.00.08 and back again at will). Indeed, an attempt to downgrade the iPAQ to Pocket PC 2002 may 'brick' the device - that is, render it useless without service centre attention.

If you need service centre help, you'll probably have to pay, and they may be unwilling to help at all under these circumstances. Not only is the ROM you've downloaded from an unofficial source beta grade (hence the broken Bluetooth), but it contains software that you do not have a licence for and cannot licence in the form you have.

It is fairly well known that the beta Pocket PC 2003 ROMs have Bluetooth problems. Installing a ROM that you didn't obtain from HP was a risky thing to do.

I'm sorry if my reply sounds harsh, but there's really nothing I can do to help. The moral of this is that it is extremely unwise to install pirate firmware on expensive devices.

David
megamart100
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2004 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the great advice i can change roms at moment one version rom gives me no asset tag etc but others do fine,ill plod on at moment thanks for the advice thou.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Other Hardware and Software All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: