Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - What distinguishes a bi-directional camera?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

What distinguishes a bi-directional camera?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kritou
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 7:55 am    Post subject: What distinguishes a bi-directional camera? Reply with quote

My Inforad K1, supposedly with a directional capability, appears to alert for many camera sites that I consider, and in a couple of instances know, to be one direction only

I'm talking here about GATSOs that are adjacent to road markings side by side in each lane

My understanding is that the double markings are used to determine if it is an overtaking vehicle that has triggered the camera or one on the nearside

Is it me, the PGPSW database or what Inforad has done to the data that is the problem?
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Generally, GATSOs are only single directional at any one time, but can be reversed by the simple means of swivelling the head. It is not normally a minute's work to swivel them, so they tend to remain one direction for months on end. The direction in which they are pointing up your exhaust pipe. They can also be set to "trap" for the other direction, but do NOT issue prosecutions, just give you a scare!

Bi-directional requires two things...

1. The camera has to be able to "see" in both directions (no central obstruction - hedge, fence etc)

2. Normally road markings covering the target area of road.

On a diagram of A...B...C, the camera would be at B, with markings running (say westbound) from B to A, and with markings running (eastbound) from B to C. We mostly find such cameras in the central reservation of a dual carriageway.

In several instances these days, we have started adding an extra camera at such sites, even though there's only one physically there, in a deliberate move to cover directional capability of some devices.

You are right in thinking that a single direction camera with markings in both lanes and indeed both sides of the road have them to trap overtaking vehicles.

The newer digital cameras (e.g. MONITRONs) do have some bi-directional capability.

I don't think we have any control over how Inforad handle our database.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
In several instances these days, we have started adding an extra camera at such sites, even though there's only one physically there, in a deliberate move to cover directional capability of some devices..
I think that we only have two cams indicating a single reversible on a dual carriageway so that TT can detect them when 'On Route' is set . Perhaps MaFt will confirm (or deny) this.

DennisN wrote:

I don't think we have any control over how Inforad handle our database.
And bear in mind that our database does not have directional data for all cams. Currently, in our UK database, 8,232 cams have heading data out of a total of 10,405, nearly 80% Very Happy Very Happy

Edited to add
Kritou wrote:
My Inforad K1, supposedly with a directional capability, appears to alert for many camera sites that I consider, and in a couple of instances know, to be one direction only
This may be caused by one of the 20% of cams that don't have directional data.

Last edited by M8TJT on Sat Mar 20, 2010 10:18 am; edited 1 time in total
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 10:11 am    Post subject: Re: What distinguishes a bi-directional camera? Reply with quote

Kritou wrote:
Is it me, the PGPSW database or what Inforad has done to the data that is the problem?

Why not look at the submission map and see if any of the problem cams are recorded as reversible by us?

InfoRad seem to make a lot of adjustments to our data, not always for the better between our supplying them and their using it!
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 10:25 am    Post subject: Re: What distinguishes a bi-directional camera? Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
InfoRad seem to make a lot of adjustments to our data, not always for the better between our supplying them and their using it!
Any reason for this, I wonder, other than to reformat it for their H/W requirements?
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure. They get data from a number of sources so whether it is the result of the mix or something else I don't know.

Whilst they use our data, we cannot demand that they use it solely.
Kritou
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK - here is a case in point .. GATSO:2455@30, Heading:15, Single Direction is correctly identified as single direction but my K1 treats it as bi-directional

Why on earth would Inforad tinker with this data?

Could it be that their own "reporters/verifiers" don't understand the system, or maybe they are only adding PGPSW data where they lack original (and maybe incorrect) reports

If they are indeed modifying your data are they possibly in breech of any contract or agreement you have with them?

The K1 is a cracking little device, especially so now that I have it connected to the intercom (Autocom) on my motorbike and powered from the electrical system
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Inforad have no obligation to use all our data. How they use it is entirely up to them.

As it stands we have no way of knowing if the camera is ours and modified or another source.

As for verifiers, let me stop laughing a moment! I'll wager that companies such as Inforad don't have verifiers. When you offer a lifetime free database there is no money to spend on stuff like that!

The only way they can make money is to continue to sell new hardware.

Have you thought of asking them why this camera is incorrect? In the meantime I'll pose the question to them but there comes a point where I'm not going to do their job for them!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: