Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Error while installing map
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Error while installing map

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TonyD
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 11:38 pm    Post subject: Error while installing map Reply with quote

I tried to update my UK & Western Europe map today and there was some sort of problem during the process. As a result I now have no map on my 940 at all (other than the USA one) and when I tell TT GO to update maps I get the following error - "Item was not valid after installation: Western_and_Central_Europe"
What is my way out of this impasse, I have a trip tomorrow and have no usable map.
Thanks in advance
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What?!?! No backups????

YOu MUST make full backups before you make major changes on your device - for just this sort of eventuality.

Anyway, the easiest way (but not very quick!) is probably to delete the entire folder containing the new map from the TomTom AND delete the downloaded map from your Home directory on the PC (usually at C:\Documents and Settings\username\My Documents\TomTom\HOME\Downloads\complete\map)

Then make a full backup with Windows Explorer (not Home)

When you connect the Go to Home you should be able to download it again.
rfp2001
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go Here - this DOES work and saves the download process and time!

Use the second of the 2 suggestions. I speak from (the same) experience.

However, never forget the backup via Explorer before any update.

Edit Once to resolve hyperlink text Mike Alder
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Certainly worth trying to salvage the original download first, I guess. Depends exactly when and how the download got corrupted.
TonyD
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P wrote:
What?!?! No backups????

The computer on which I run TT Home is backed up nightly to a Drobo 4TB redundant disk array. That is backed up continuously to the Cloud via Backblaze. I have an external disk drive I clone my hard drive to regularly. I also keep all my important files stored in Dropbox, so I think I tick the box for backups Very Happy
It's just that I don't really understand TT's file layout and was looking for guidance for which files I need to retrieve and where to put them.

Edit to fix Quote Tags - PaulB2005
Anita
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back up the device as it is now using Windows Explorer, then format it and copy your last working Explorer backup to it.

If time's short you could just copy your last working backup to an SD card and insert it into the device. It should automatically boot from the application on the card, but you will need to select the map you wish to use.
Samsung Galaxy S21
TonyD
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anita wrote:
Back up the device as it is now using Windows Explorer, then format it and copy your last working Explorer backup to it.

If time's short you could just copy your last working backup to an SD card and insert it into the device. It should automatically boot from the application on the card, but you will need to select the map you wish to use.

Trouble is I am 200 miles away from my backups. The only thing wrong is the missing map. Is there really no way I can just get this on line from TomTom. Most other things I buy I can download again whenever I want.
GerryC
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unless something has changed, you can re-download the map from TomTom upto a year after purchase. I expect it's similar for the map update service. As Andy pointed out in the first response, this will work but will take ages. Home has a tendency to remember things you wish it didn't so you'd need to remove the already downloaded one first.

Do you have web access to your backup service that you could access from elsewhere? Restoring the entire 940 backup to an SD card where you are now may be your best bet. Smile
Brodit ProClip mount
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TonyD wrote:

The computer on which I run TT Home is backed up nightly to a Drobo 4TB redundant disk array. That is backed up continuously to the Cloud via Backblaze. I have an external disk drive I clone my hard drive to regularly. I also keep all my important files stored in Dropbox, so I think I tick the box for backups Very Happy
Fine backup system that you have there for your computer, but have you backed up the contents of your TT using Windows Explorer (or similar) with 'Show hidden files' checked to said admirally backed up computer?. Aparantly, Home is renound for not making good backups of the TT Confused. If not, it would be a good idea to do so as soon as you have a working TT Very Happy
TonyD
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

M8TJT wrote:
TonyD wrote:

Fine backup system that you have there for your computer, but have you backed up the contents of your TT using Windows Explorer (or similar) with 'Show hidden files' checked to said admirally backed up computer?. Aparantly, Home is renound for not making good backups of the TT Confused. If not, it would be a good idea to do so as soon as you have a working TT Very Happy

Well I certainly did an Explorer backup when I first got the device earlier this year, but I have always assumed that if I can get the TT back to a baseline I should be able to bring it up to date via TT themselves - perhaps something so obvious is expecting too much of TT Very Happy
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TonyD wrote:
I have always assumed that if I can get the TT back to a baseline I should be able to bring it up to date via TT themselves - perhaps something so obvious is expecting too much of TT Very Happy

I believe that you can, provided you jump through a few hoops Shocked . But not having a T, I am realy not in much of a position to comment Confused
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you ever try the delete and re-download technique I suggested in the first reply?
TonyD
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P wrote:
Did you ever try the delete and re-download technique I suggested in the first reply?

Not had a chance yet, been run off my feet the last 2 days.
EricWB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The really important thing that you are perhaps missing, is to back up the contents of your TT device. Yes you can with a lot of bother go back to the original one you did when first using the TT, but dependant upon updates since then, there maybe a lot of work to do, as each revision of operating system would have to be downloaded and updated on your TT, it cannot be done in just one go.

TT Home will back up the device, but it has a reputation for being a bit flaky and it only keeps whatever you last backed up, not an ongoing sequence. If you do an explorer backup before every significant change e.g. new operating system or map update and another one later when you know everything is working OK that's just about perfect.

I have two devices that are both capable of working from SD cards so after a significant update having proved everything works I backup to the PC and then another card, this new card I use from then on with the old one as a reserve, so at any one time I should have two working cards with me and another complete backup back home on my PC. This may seemto be a lot of trouble but is doesn't take long and you cant have too much of a good thing.
TonyD
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No sweat, easy when I understood the files. Deleted the map files from my Mac and re-downloaded, all fine, only took 20 minutes.[/i]

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: