Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Buy new device -What about the map updates already paid for?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Buy new device -What about the map updates already paid for?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
1952kev
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 4:50 pm    Post subject: Buy new device -What about the map updates already paid for? Reply with quote

Theoretical question at the moment.........

What would happen about the Qtly map updates I have already paid for on my One V1 if I sold it and went for an XL Classic for instance?

Are the maps device specific or would I just replace the old ONE on TT Home and continue to be entitled to update the XL as maps became available?

( I did search for "New device map updates" with no joy)

Last edited by 1952kev on Fri Dec 11, 2009 1:30 pm; edited 2 times in total
Gee-Pee
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TomTom support site says
Quote:
The Map Update Service Card will keep the map on your new TomTom navigation device up-to-date. The card is valid for 90 days after first use of your device.
The card cannot be used with an older device (even if you just purchased it). To see which devices are compatible go to here
The Map Update Service applies to the map selected on your device when the service is activated.
To switch maps on your device tap Change preferences in the main menu and then tap Manage maps - Switch maps.
The Map Update Service is non-transferable as mentioned in the Terms & Conditions.

If you then read the terms and conditions, there seems to be a cancellation option with 30 days notice, but I think it needs some close reading. Suggest you pose the hypothentical question to TT Support.
1952kev
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is no card involved. I think that only applies to the 24 month update package.

I have simply renewed my one year Qtly updates via HOME.
EricWB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The new maps can only be used upon the device they were purchased for and first used upon this is the way TT prevent them being copied and sold on. I really would have thought they could come up with some way to transfer them though as it must restrict sales either of new maps or new devices dependant upon where you are in an upgrade scenario.
1952kev
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some of you may be interested in what TT.Com had to say on this.........

It's a bit slow going through the support message system but the outcome was surprisingly good.

They have told me they will change the future map updates to a new device if I get one.

They also offered me 20% off a new device. OK, I know they are not the keenest prices but for example an XL IQ UKROI would be £135 delivered which is cheaper than I can find elsewhere.

The only thing is.........I was considering the XL Classic at Amazon £109.99 which still meets my needs.....or the GO520 at CPC £124.95 which is more than I need but great value.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: