Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - c510 Traffic receiver - compatible with nuvi 215?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

c510 Traffic receiver - compatible with nuvi 215?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kentzer
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 7:27 am    Post subject: c510 Traffic receiver - compatible with nuvi 215? Reply with quote

Morning All

Will the traffic "dongle" which I got with my (now outdated and damaged) c510 work with a Nuvi 215 or 1210?
Argos have got them very cheaply at the moment, and so I wondered about whether it was worth paying £100-£150 for a new unit (with Bluetooth and new maps) instead of getting the c510 fixed.
Everywhere I've looked is asking a minimum fee of £40 for fixing it, and then if I wanted to update the maps, I'm looking at another £60...

Cheers

Ben
PhilHornby
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Traffic receiver for the C510 is the GTM-21, which has the wide (JAE?) connector. There's nowhere to connect that on a Nüvi 2xx, which only has a mini-USB "B" socket. I'm reasonably certain the 1210 is the same arrangement.

It appears the proper traffic receiver for both units is the GTM-25 ... which is a combined cigarette-lighter plug and receiver, like the GTM-21 ... but with a mini-USB plug.

(Not to be confused with the GTM-12, which is also mini-USB but requires external power from another source. (Used on the Nüvi 3xx series and Zümo?)).

Nothing like a bit of standardisation, is there? Laughing
kentzer
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm. Exactly as I feared.

Thanks very much for the response. I think I'll get the new unit anyway (prob go for the 1210 as it looks nicer) and then get the traffic "bit" later on.

It's a shame that the c510's broken as it has - it's perfectly serviceable still, but it just keeps dropping off the mount as the socket on the unit itself has self-destructed due to (I assume) plastic fatique due to the abnormal sunshine we've had in the UK this year...

Perhaps a call to Garmin is in order...

Cheers

Ben
BigPerk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How self-destructed? - I'm a true believer in the powers of a good super-glue if there's anything left to super-glue (providing you don't want the c510 any other way - eg in your pocket).
PhilHornby
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, don't forget that your GTM-21 still has value - since it's used by current units (Nüvi 6xx, 7xx and 8xx? ranges).

Should fetch at least £25 on eBay...
kentzer
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BigPerk wrote:
How self-destructed? - I'm a true believer in the powers of a good super-glue if there's anything left to super-glue (providing you don't want the c510 any other way - eg in your pocket).

There may be enough left of the "female" end of the connector to try it. The only downside is that it won't then fit in the fancy bag that I got free with the unit Crying or Very sad

I spoke to Garmin, and they said that the mount is integral to the unit's body, and then said they couldn't sell me a replacement rear body.
Shame really. They wanted just under £60 for their fix service, but guaranteed that I'd get a perfect unit for that - they'd exchange it if they couldn't fix it.
So I did some digging, and I've bought a Garmin Nuvi 760wt FM for £140. I should be able to upgrade to the next version of maps when they're available, and I can still fix up my other unit for my wife's car. I guess the GTM 21 on both units will be the same so I don't have to mess about swapping leads between cars as well!

Thanks for the help and advice Very Happy

Ben

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: