Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Transferring from Pocket CoPilot 4 to TomTom Navigator 3
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Transferring from Pocket CoPilot 4 to TomTom Navigator 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jasuk70
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2004 5:37 pm    Post subject: Transferring from Pocket CoPilot 4 to TomTom Navigator 3 Reply with quote

After a disastrous attempt at navigating in London last weekend, I finally had enough to PCP4. I have now ordered TomTom Nav 3 from their online shop and am wondering if anyone else has the Pocket PCP jacket working with the TomTom 3 software. (It’s the one with the aerial point out backwards and onboard battery plus external aerial connection, not the original jacket.)

Also are there people here who have moved over to TTN 3 with any advice on using the new software compared to the old?

BTW The main reason for moving is the lack of help or interest from the people I bought the upgrades from (Team Warrior) and it also looks like there isn't going to be proper traffic integration with PCP in the UK for a while.

Jas
p.s. How long does TomTom usually take to ship to the UK?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2004 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The jacket is exposing a standard COM port (COM4) so it is easy to use with TomTom (v2 or v3). I have to disappoint you though - the jacket does not have it's own battery... But the chipset on the GPS is low power, so it doesn't drain the PocketPC battery that much. (Anyhow it is always a good idea to have an extra battery pack handy, or an external power pack, or a solar battery)

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
jasuk70
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2004 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers for that.

The info I got from the Team Warrior email was the following:

Faster and better GPS reception (up to 8 times quicker than the NAVMAN jacket)
A vent mounting provides a secure fitting to the dashboard with a clear, safer view of the road ahead
A single integrated power socket means you can get rid of the power connector
An internal battery helps remember your current location, even when your iPAQ is switched off, for faster GPS reception
An optional external antenna gives an even better reception in the car and solves the problem of GPS reception through heat-reflecting windscreens

The bit betweem the **** was what I was on about. But I've been wondering why it nerver made any difference in aquaisition time.

Jas
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2004 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, that - that's merely a (small) buffer battery for the GPS receiver itself that holds the almanac and ephemeris data for a while. This little battery is not connecting back to the iPAQ and doesn't contribute to the overall energy balance.

Acquisition should be in the sub-40 seconds range once you had a fix at roughly the same position. The antenna shoud ideally face skywards with no obstructions. If you use it inside a car you may have problems with tinted windshields - make a test of acquiring a fix inside the car and outside and compare the number of sats and the strength.

You can use Crux_View to manipulate the settings of the jacket. Trickle mode, EGNOS, etc.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: