Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN for Streaming TV
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - 720 dead
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

720 dead
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stevieboy308
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 6:01 pm    Post subject: 720 dead Reply with quote

hi all,

i plugged my 720 into the home dock that was connected to my girlfriends mac through a multi usb plug (tt home is only on my lappy). the next day i plugged it into my laptop, turned the tt on and all i get is the black screen that says tomtom and has the hands thing logo and the i get the start up noise. i've tried pressing the reset button, that gets the screen you get when you turn it on after an update, it has a disk symbol, but the the re-write bar doesn't appear.

home doesn't reconise it, so i cant do anything with that. it doesn't appear in my computer either.

its 16 months old so out of warrenty, i bought it from amazon, is it worth going down the sale of goods act??

who fix's them and how much should i be expecting them to charge? or would it be better to get a new one?

cheers steve
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 6:51 pm    Post subject: Re: 720 dead Reply with quote

Do you have an SD memory Card handy that you can load up a new firmware on? Say 512mb or 1Gb?
john877
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There has been a debate on here about the length of warranty that comes with your sat nav .
I was told 2 years on my Tomtom 520 purchased in January 2008 !! but this sounds like a software problem to me .

This is the reply from Tomtom to my query

"Thank you for contacting TomTom Customer Support

The device is covered for 2 years. The accessories like the mount and charger are covered for 1 year.

With Best Regards

The TomTom Customer Support Team
stevieboy308
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 7:21 pm    Post subject: Re: 720 dead Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
Do you have an SD memory Card handy that you can load up a new firmware on? Say 512mb or 1Gb?

hi mate,

i've, just took the 8gb out of the 720 and put it into the card reader in my lap top - but its not comming up in my computer. could that be anything to do with it? - i only have music on the card.

i've now got it to appear by putting it into a usb card reader??

the other 2 sd cards i have work fine in the lap tops card reader, so good to go with a 1gb sd card!

cheers steve
stevieboy308
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

john877 wrote:
There has been a debate on here about the length of warranty that comes with your sat nav .
I was told 2 years on my Tomtom 520 purchased in January 2008 !! but this sounds like a software problem to me .

This is the reply from Tomtom to my query

"Thank you for contacting TomTom Customer Support

The device is covered for 2 years. The accessories like the mount and charger are covered for 1 year.

With Best Regards

The TomTom Customer Support Team

thats good to know, thanks
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, does it boot up with the card removed?
john877
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have a back up you can try to load onto a SD card and see if you can get it going from there .
Have you tried the reset button at the base of the sat nav that can sort out a lot of the problems
If you connect the sat nav up to the computer on the cradle and turn it on it will ask you if you want to connect to the computer say yes when connected it should show up in my computer as a drive and you can explore it from there it may be a case of just reinstalling your software back onto the device .

May sure you disconnect your sat nav correctly as with the X20 range it was very easy to corrupt the software
stevieboy308
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
Ok, does it boot up with the card removed?

no, i'd already tried that,
stevieboy308
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

john877 wrote:
If you have a back up you can try to load onto a SD card and see if you can get it going from there .
Have you tried the reset button at the base of the sat nav that can sort out a lot of the problems
If you connect the sat nav up to the computer on the cradle and turn it on it will ask you if you want to connect to the computer say yes when connected it should show up in my computer as a drive and you can explore it from there it may be a case of just reinstalling your software back onto the device .

May sure you disconnect your sat nav correctly as with the X20 range it was very easy to corrupt the software

hi,

i dont get the option to connect to the computer and the reset button hasn't fixed it either.

i had backed it up, so i'll see if i can get it working via that route!

cheers
john877
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The reply below is from Tomtom support regarding a red cross issue it may be of some help

The error you got meant that the Application file (that runs the map and menus) got corrupted, it is very easy to resolve the issue (see details below). The most common cause for this happening is either how you are disconnecting from PC, when disconnecting in TomTom Home always click on 'Device' and then 'Disconnect Device' and it will tell you when it is safe to unplug the device. It may have also been that when you updated your device the application got corrupted.
This solution can be used in the following situations:

• The device hangs in the start screen (splash screen)
• An SD-card with a red cross is displayed on the screen
• A picture with a red dot and white cross is displayed
• The device can’t be turned off

If you haven't already done so, please download and Install TomTom Home
If you don’t have a full backup of your TomTom yet we advise you to make one before continuing with the steps in this email. You can make a backup by following the steps below:( Edit * please refer to GerryC post which is below to back up in windows rather than home*)
1. Reset your TomTom device
and connect it to your computer.
2. Click on Backup and Restore Backup' in TomTom Home 2.0
3. Enter a name for the backup and click [OK]
• IMPORTANT: When the software is asking to delete parts from the backup click [NO]
After the backup is made you delete the files from the root directory of the TomTom. Follow the steps below to do this:
2. Open My Computer in Windows, or Finder in Macintosh from your desktop and turn on your TomTom device.
3. On your screen a new removable disk appears, this is your TomTom device, click on the disk to open it.
4. You will see a list of folders and a list of loose files
5. Delete all of the loose files. IMPORTANT: The folders with their content must NOT be deleted.
5. Close the window when all files are deleted by clicking on the [x].

Next we will reinstall the application via TomTom HOME.

1. Start TomTom HOME on your computer
TomTom Home should automatically check for updates and prompt you to install them, if not
2. Click on 'Update my device'. If you get the message 'No Items Available', or there is not an application to download, click on 'Add Maps, Traffic, Voices etc Items on my computer', select the application and click on 'Add'.
3. Select the Application update.
4. Click on 'Device Disconnect Device' then turn off your device when it is done installing and disconnect it from your computer.
5. On a PC, in the System Tray by the computer clock, click on the 'Safely Remove Hardware' icon and disconnect the TomTom also in this way.

When switching on the device it should boot as normal again.

Please note I did not try this so if anybody uses this it is at there own risk but it may point somebody in the right direction
I hope Tomtom has given me the correct information

Just to add it is better to back up in windows
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 8:04 pm    Post subject: Re: 720 dead Reply with quote

stevieboy308 wrote:
i've, just took the 8gb out of the 720 and put it into the card reader in my lap top - but its not comming up in my computer. could that be anything to do with it? - i only have music on the card

Steve is your card reader capable of working with SDHC type cards? if not the PC won't see the card, being 8GB it is of the SDHC card type - Mike
john877
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe the Tomtom 720 stores the maps etc on its internal memory unless you are using a SD card for additional mapping .
I may be wrong as I am not the best with technical things Confused
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's correct but as the OP cannot see the device in Explorer we may be able to recover by 'booting' from an application installed to the memory card.
stevieboy308
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

john877 wrote:
The reply below is from Tomtom support regarding a red cross issue it may be of some help

The error you got meant that the Application file (that runs the map and menus) got corrupted, it is very easy to resolve the issue (see details below). The most common cause for this happening is either how you are disconnecting from PC, when disconnecting in TomTom Home always click on 'Device' and then 'Disconnect Device' and it will tell you when it is safe to unplug the device. It may have also been that when you updated your device the application got corrupted.
This solution can be used in the following situations:

• The device hangs in the start screen (splash screen)
• An SD-card with a red cross is displayed on the screen
• A picture with a red dot and white cross is displayed
• The device can’t be turned off

If you haven't already done so, please download and Install TomTom Home
If you don’t have a full backup of your TomTom yet we advise you to make one before continuing with the steps in this email. You can make a backup by following the steps below:( Edit * please refer to GerryC post which is below to back up in windows rather than home*)
2. Click on Backup and Restore Backup' in TomTom Home 2.0
3. Enter a name for the backup and click [OK]
• IMPORTANT: When the software is asking to delete parts from the backup click [NO]
After the backup is made you delete the files from the root directory of the TomTom. Follow the steps below to do this:
2. Open My Computer in Windows, or Finder in Macintosh from your desktop and turn on your TomTom device.
3. On your screen a new removable disk appears, this is your TomTom device, click on the disk to open it.
4. You will see a list of folders and a list of loose files
5. Delete all of the loose files. IMPORTANT: The folders with their content must NOT be deleted.
5. Close the window when all files are deleted by clicking on the [x].

Next we will reinstall the application via TomTom HOME.

1. Start TomTom HOME on your computer
TomTom Home should automatically check for updates and prompt you to install them, if not
2. Click on 'Update my device'. If you get the message 'No Items Available', or there is not an application to download, click on 'Add Maps, Traffic, Voices etc Items on my computer', select the application and click on 'Add'.
3. Select the Application update.
4. Click on 'Device Disconnect Device' then turn off your device when it is done installing and disconnect it from your computer.
5. On a PC, in the System Tray by the computer clock, click on the 'Safely Remove Hardware' icon and disconnect the TomTom also in this way.

When switching on the device it should boot as normal again.

Please note I did not try this so if anybody uses this it is at there own risk but it may point somebody in the right direction
I hope Tomtom has given me the correct information

Just to add it is better to back up in windows

but i can't get it to connect to home, it just says no device connected
stevieboy308
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 7:57 pm    Post subject: Re: 720 dead Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
stevieboy308 wrote:
i've, just took the 8gb out of the 720 and put it into the card reader in my lap top - but its not comming up in my computer. could that be anything to do with it? - i only have music on the card

Steve is your card reader capable of working with SDHC type cards? if not the PC won't see the card, being 8GB it is of the SDHC card type - Mike

your proberly onto something there, as it works fine in the usb reader

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: