Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Newbie Go930T Firmware / Internal Memory Management Query
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Newbie Go930T Firmware / Internal Memory Management Query

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jawilson59
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 11:14 pm    Post subject: Newbie Go930T Firmware / Internal Memory Management Query Reply with quote

Greetings folks.

Many thanks to all who have posted here and provided invaluable info.

Just recently bought Go930T and have the following query(s)

1. Having backed up the internal memory straight out of the box (via explorer) can the whole internal memory be wiped at any stage, reformatted and the original files copied back to the device....will this work? I had thought i read somewhere about problems people were having and reformatting was a solution....Am worried that wiping all the internal files and folders will prevent the device from connecting to the PC to reinstall files via explorer.
2. I havent yet upgraded the firmware from 8.002 to 8.302 (bit scared to) if I do which files / folders are changed?
3. Similarly when I take up the Latest Map Guarantee (in about 2 wks time) does it only replace the files in the 2 map folders (EU & NA)? Thus allowing me to back them up and replace in the future.
4. Will 4GB SDHC cards work under firmware 8.002 / 8.010? also what is the maximum normal SD card size that these firmware versions support. I know that 8.3 and above support 8GB SDHC and higher.

Appreciate any help you can give me

Thanx
dhn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. The computer would just see the unit as a drive with no data on it. Yes, you can -- if necessary -- restore a complete backup to a reformatted unit.
(and you've done a good thing by using Explorer for your backup instead of Home).

2. Normally, it is the loose files in the root of the unit, not any folders or their contents, that get replaced. Don't be reluctant to update to 8.302.

3. Yep, the new maps will overwrite the old ones and it is an **excellent** idea to do another backup (to a new folder) once all that updating is done.

4. You can use a 4-gig sdhc card with that application and you can go even higher but, in order to do so, the process gets convoluted since TomTom would only write to the 4 gig but could read from more than 4 gigs. Life is much easier with 8.302. TomTom will read/write to even 32 gigs with no problems.
Calomax
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suggest you go ahead and update to version 8.302. Judging from the lack of posts about voice problems etc, it seems that it has cured the problems that the earlier versions were having. Also, when you update your maps, they won't work without the latest application, and you'll be able to use any size SDHC card that is currently available. I'm using 16gb, with about 10gb of mp3s on it.
jawilson59
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Calomax wrote:
I'm using 16gb, with about 10gb of mp3s on it.

The Go930T definitely accepts either SD or Class 6 SDHC (firmware version permitting) ? I check the TT website and it doesnt mention SDHC.....just want to be sure before i order....can get class 6 SDHC 16gb from play.com fpor £25
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have used both 8GB and 16GB class 6 SDHC cards in my 930 with no issues, they are manufactured by Peak - Mike
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jawilson59 wrote:
I check the TT website and it doesnt mention SDHC.....

It does HERE Smile
Pocketgps
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P wrote:
jawilson59 wrote:
I check the TT website and it doesnt mention SDHC.....

It does HERE Smile

At the bottom of the page Andy_P link - TomTom says and quote

Quote:
Formatting
When you buy a new memory card you don't need to format it before installing maps. New memory cards are formatted to FAT 32 by default, which is the correct format for use in TomTom navigation devices.

I have purchased lots of cards from different manufacturers (SanDisk - Kingston - etc) and they have all been in FAT format as received.

SDHC and SDXC may come in FAT 32 but not all others do.
angusr
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pocketgps wrote:

I have purchased lots of cards from different manufacturers (SanDisk - Kingston - etc) and they have all been in FAT format as received.

SDHC and SDXC may come in FAT 32 but not all others do.

Any card over 2GB in size has to come as FAT32 if it's preformatted; 2GB is the maximum size of a standard FAT16 partition (16 bit addresssing and 32K clusters).

For smaller cards I wouldn't have thought it would matter if they're FAT16 or FAT32 to be honest - they're both handled by the same filesystem kernel driver in Linux, and I don't see TomTom taking FAT16 specifically out of an existing driver. But I haven't tested that, so pinch of salt to hand.
jawilson59
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

if u were going to format the internal memory before copying back an explorer backup, do u format it FAT32?

is that ok with the TT's Operating System.

Sorry dont have mine with me to look and see if it iit is FAT32 already....
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MY 940 internal memory is FAT32.
jawilson59
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 12:07 pm    Post subject: Format Query Reply with quote

I ended up returning the TT930T i bought last week. Maplin had it on offer for £200 and it included the £70 CD for 2 year updates.....thought this was a bit of a bargain, so saved £40 and got the free 2 year updates, plus a photo album offer which looks good for consolidating some holiday snaps.

So, what I am thinking is, connect the new one tonight to my PC for first time and do full explorer backup, just in case there is any difference between the files of the one I returned (think it is same firmware version 8.002).

Then I was going to get my firmware update (v 8.302) and use latest map guarantees to get totally up to date....followed swiftly by another backup!!!!

But before I did the updates, i was thinking of doing a full format of the internal memory.....(full as opposed to quick format) as i read somewhere that a sector by sector format is the best way to ensure your device's internal memory performs correctly....any truth in this?

cheers
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would say "don't"
You DEFINITELY need to make a new backup of the new device, as the map certificates will be specific to this unit.

So, backup, update, backup again, yes. But no need to format.

I must have altered the contents of my TomToms hundreds of times and have never needed to format except in very rare circumstances (the internal memory on my 720 has died and failed progressively over a couple of weeks.

"If it ain't broke, don't fix it" Smile

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: