Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - why you so complicated??????????
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

why you so complicated??????????
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
navtrav
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 6:38 pm    Post subject: why you so complicated?????????? Reply with quote

All I want to find out is how to change my sort of 'signature', or is it my 'handle', or is it my avatar, or god knows what you guys call it - but I've been a member for over FIVE years, but I'm still sub-titled a 'beginner'.!!!!!!!!!! Demeaning or what.

But please, why is your help, your advice, your expertise, your FAQs on any particular subject so difficult to find?

I've been to my Home Page, I've been to my account...I've been everywhere I can think of.

Would I trust you to navigate me through London. NO!!!!!

Tim Sinclair
(navtrav)
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tim the beginner tag is driven by the number of posts made on the forum, below a certain number its automatically applied.

What information are you looking for, the site can be difficult to locate specific advice unless you know where things are located, this is why each navigation device has its own index, where applicable you will find FAQ pages at or near the top of each forum section - Mike
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can add a picture (avatar) between Beginner and date joined. You can add a "signature" which appears at the end of every one of your posts.

Above the posts here (and on every page) is an icon "Profile" where you go to do these things.

Quite a lot of us recognise that the description is not necessarily worth a lotta beans - many members choose to read and hold their peace rather than boost their post count.

Edited to add... But congratulations on your impending one year anniversary of posting this...

navtrav in April 2008, after five years dormant, wrote:
I joined many years back and forgot.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 10:07 pm    Post subject: Re: why you so complicated?????????? Reply with quote

navtrav wrote:
All I want to find out is how to change my sort of 'signature', or is it my 'handle', or is it my avatar, or god knows what you guys call it - but I've been a member for over FIVE years, but I'm still sub-titled a 'beginner'.!!!!!!!!!! Demeaning or what.

But please, why is your help, your advice, your expertise, your FAQs on any particular subject so difficult to find?

I've been to my Home Page, I've been to my account...I've been everywhere I can think of.

Wow! All that was needed was a simple 'how do I?'

We use a very common forum package, used by many, many other forums, settings to do with your forum account are held and changed in the profile the link to which is at the top of each forum page. These are hard coded into the package, we cannot change it.

Your forum 'rank' is set by number of posts as is common for forums. As you surpass each post count milestone it will change. But if you can suggest a more acceptable name for the beginner rank then I'll happily consider it?

As for site navigation, the forums are pretty self-explanatory? We realise aspects of other areas of the website are far from ideal but this site has grown over many years and it is not a simple process to re-invent it from the ground up. Hindsight is wonderful and had we known how big we could become 7 years ago then we would have done things differently!

But most importantly, if you can't find anything or need explanation, just ask, that's how forums operate but it's always nice if you do so politely, posting in the manner that you have done here risks a reply in a similar vein.
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 11:28 pm    Post subject: Re: why you so complicated?????????? Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
But if you can suggest a more acceptable name for the beginner rank then I'll happily consider it?

how about 'Forum Beginner' ? just to make it clearer that it's relating to the forum only?

MaFt
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about "Infrequent Poster"?

Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
How about "Infrequent Poster"?

I like that, coupled with 'Regular Visitor' and 'Lives here' Smile
navtrav
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks everyone. sorry if i sounded belligerent but it was like a bad 'phone' day - you know go thru all the menus and then are cut off.

my first satnav was a really crude map thing on an ipaq. i joined here in the days when it was free. so i'm hardly a begginner.

still, interesting debate i see has ensued.
GerryC
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have a go at changing your sig and avatar in your profile and report back (that will be another post on your count). We can see you joined before most of the others in this thread including the mods. Laughing

How about changing the rank for members who joined more than "x" years ago if they would otherwise be a "beginner"?
Brodit ProClip mount
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think that is necessary. Given the lack of posts and the questions about signature and avtar I think 'beginner' suits!
dhn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
I don't think that is necessary. Given the lack of posts and the questions about signature and avtar I think 'beginner' suits!

Somebody has a bee in his bonnet today! Rolling Eyes Wink
navtrav
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:

avtar? What's that?

Darren has a real down on me. See the thread about TomTom compass. I've been very active recently. Not to mention downloading tons of files.

This moderator/whatever he's meant to be puts me off contributing/being a member at all on this website/forum. Unless he vanishes, my next subscription will be zero. Goodbye.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

navtrav wrote:
avtar? What's that?

An avtar (as a quick Google would explain) is the Image users choose to customise their forum presence. As someone who loudly proclaims they are not a beginner by virtue of their long standing membership you might be expected to have known that?
Quote:
Darren has a real down on me. See the thread about TomTom compass. I've been very active recently.

Indeed you have very active and at this rate you'll be Intermediate in no time. Your posts re. the compass were answered in the same tone they were made but you alone chose to take our replies as some personal dig at you when they were not. You were insistent that the compass was incorrect despite our best efforts to demonstrate otherwise and as I said in this thread your opening tone here was hardly conducive to a light hearted reply.
Quote:
This moderator/whatever he's meant to be puts me off contributing/being a member at all on this website/forum. Unless he vanishes, my next subscription will be zero. Goodbye.

Oh dear, as I'm one of the co-founders (another fact you might reasonably have been expected to know) then your next step is up to you but I have no personal beef against you, just your manner of posting.

But I might add that I've demonstrated on many occasions that on balance I'm a good humoured and helpful soul so you've done well to rub me up the wrong way! I've sorted out an avtar for you though to show there are no hard feelings.
batties
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I've sorted out an avtar for you though to show there are no hard feelings.

Laughing Now that's funny Laughing
TT Home version 2.7.5.2014
iPhone 4S with CameraAlert
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
navtrav wrote:
avtar? What's that?

An avtar (as a quick Google would explain) is ... Darren the site joint owner's modern way of spelling "avatar" Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
(My red stuff. He normally passes most of his posts to me for proof reading before posting, but you've got him so wound up he just went at it like a chinese shop without consulting me first Stop it! ). It won't require Googling, however, to look at my post at 8:59pm last night wherein the very first line explains "avatar", the next explains "signature" and by the time you've struggled to the end of the first five lines, you'll have seen an explanation of how to get at and create both.

Your profile page does NOT, however, demonstrate the difference betweeen hitting the "Reply" button at the bottom of the page and hitting the "Quote" button at the top of each individual post. The difference is that when you hit the "Quote" button, you get the poster's post at the start of your answer composition box, to save you doing stuff like copy and paste AND to make it stand out as a quote which we don't have to struggle to differentiate. Try it. Hit the "Quote" button at the top of this post of mine and you'll see all this post inside those square bracketty things, starting with [quote= ] and ending with [/quote]. You can (and mostly should) highlight and delete as much of the post as you are not wanting to quote.

Enjoy!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: