Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Need advice if there are any problems with TT940 live
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Need advice if there are any problems with TT940 live

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
clivewaters
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 4:56 pm    Post subject: Need advice if there are any problems with TT940 live Reply with quote

I am looking at buying a TT 940 and would like to know if there are any problems with this device. I am planning to get one through Argos (I have an account) but they seem to be having problems getting new stock from TT. I have been told for the last 6 weeks that it was coming in but now been told (again) that it will be another 3 weeks.

What concerns me is that either TT have had big problems with this unit and are holding back new ones until it is fixed (unlikely as most manufacturers will continue selling anyway) or maybe Argos purchasing are rubbish (quite feasible).

So really like to hear from anyone that has had any problems so I can decide to go elsewhere if needed.

Thanks in advance.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There will always be teething problems with any device.
The 940 works very well. most issus people have had are concerning getting their subscription to the Live Services after the free trial is up and the quality of the Traffic data, rather then the machine itself.

Have you tried the "search forum" feature to look for posts about the 940?

As for availability, Comet and PC World must get through them pretty quickly and they both seem to have them in stock.
clivewaters
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Andy_P
Good avice, some interesting posts. Seems to be mostly issues around LMG and cost of LIVE service.
Still like to hear if anyone has any other issues.
Milesey
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just bought mine on the 17th, but driven nearly a thousand miles in that time so it's had a pretty good trial. Have upgraded from a TomTom 910 (which had Traffic sub, plus RDS - pretty useless to be honest).

Impressions from me of the new 940 Live are:

1. The LIVE traffic info has been spot on for me so far. Compared to the old RDS or sub service, it's an amazing difference.

2. Bluetooth pairing with phone has flaked out once or twice - reset TomTom by holding power for 20 secs cured it each time.

3. Sound quality not as good as 910, which in turn wasn't as good as my original TomTom (the real original even before the Classic). Still fine though.

4. No LineOut is a big disappointment and VERY annoying. For £365.00 (online Comet to collect), this is a pretty tight fisted money saver. Same for external MIC - no connection, the MIC is on the unit.

5. Speed camera data is supplied by Road Angel - very similar (from what I've seen so far) to PGPSW.

6. Google search is excellent. Used it about a dozen times and it worked every time. Very unexpected bonus - I thought that seemed a gimmick at first.

7. The FM transmitter range could be wider by a few MHz points which would work better for me (87.9 - 107.9, bit my radio can do 87.5 - 108.0, which more radios also do) and avoid other channels better. That's more important since they don't have LineOut !!

8. For me, it's only just worth £7.99 per month. If the data quality goes down or the price increases, then I would not continue with it - so far, if all stays as is, I'll continue after the 3 month trial.

9. One thing - if you have an existing TomTom speed camera sub and you add those POIs (as well as the new Premium ones thorugh HOME), the 940 has a bug which stops any POI showing on the navigation view - enjoyed eliminating that one ! Happened to me because of my 910 subscription.

Overall, I'm pleased, but I do think the dock not having LineOut is a real pain, especially as TT want another £50.00 for a dock which DOES have LineOut.

Hope that helps !
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Active mount with the Line Out connector and iPODetc is less than £35 see Here - I think the one you were looking at for £50 is the mount with the extra sockets and a built in RDS-TMC receiver (see Here)which is handy if driving in mainland Europe where the HD Traffic won't work - Mike
clivewaters
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Milesey,

Comprehensive report. One question. I am also upgrading from a 910 which I use with an external aerial and this works very well.
How is the GPS reception on the 940? I notice that the car dock options do not have an external aerial connection which does worry me.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You won't have an issue with the 940 in a vehicle unless its lead lined, the device can pick up a signal in far more demanding conditions the 910 ever could - Mike
clivewaters
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
You won't have an issue with the 940 in a vehicle unless its lead lined, the device can pick up a signal in far more demanding conditions the 910 ever could - Mike

Thanks Mike
matthewj
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clive, since you are upgrading, the advice I have is to set up a new account at TomTom for the new device. It will save you a lot of hassle with account options you had on the 910 that aren't compatible. I'm still suffering from mine, and if I'd known would have started afresh I think.
Milesey
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Totally agree with last few points:

The reception of the 940 is really VERY good. I also had an external antenna, as driving around London in between high buldings really needed it. The 940 coped easily. Also made separate accounts for the 910 versus 940 - very useful tip!

Mike: yes, saw that TT do a £35 dock for just LineOut and iPod. I already have an RDS antenna which I thought I'd have been able to use with the 940, so looks like I'll need the £50 version :-( Will give it a month or two first I think!
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can use your existing RDS-TMC receiver with the 940 and accessory dock, it plugs in to the same socket as the iPOD cable, you will only need the RDS receiver when outside of the UK or the Live service goes wrong/ you stop the subscription - You certainly don't need a new RDS receiver - Mike
clivewaters
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

matthewj wrote:
Clive, since you are upgrading, the advice I have is to set up a new account at TomTom for the new device. It will save you a lot of hassle with account options you had on the 910 that aren't compatible. I'm still suffering from mine, and if I'd known would have started afresh I think.

Thanks Matthew,

When you say open a new account, do you mean use a different email address on the TT HOME? Not quite sure what issues you mean. Does the TT HOME not recognise the new device and download items accordingly? I have a Camera subscription for my 910 which is ending this week and after that I hope to just use the 940 (which after everyone’s posts I have now have winging its way to me from Holland).
Sorry for any dimness but just trying to understand exactly what you mean.
Thanks
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clive, you must use a different e-mail address for each device you own, this is how the TT Home software registers the device, if you try to re-use an old existing account with a new device it will give you nothin but trouble with map upgrades and any other purchases.
I hope you have bought the 940 for use in the UK, the sim card fitted is specific to the country of purchase or intended use, a Dutch device is fine in Holland but the Live services won't work over here - Mike
clivewaters
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
Clive, you must use a different e-mail address for each device you own, this is how the TT Home software registers the device, if you try to re-use an old existing account with a new device it will give you nothin but trouble with map upgrades and any other purchases.
I hope you have bought the 940 for use in the UK, the sim card fitted is specific to the country of purchase or intended use, a Dutch device is fine in Holland but the Live services won't work over here - Mike

Thanks Mike,
I understand, much appreciate all the advice from you and everyone else. I can go back to being a 6 year old again and look forward to my new unit. I purchased through the TT web site as they were offering me a 20% discount presumably for being a good boy!!!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: