Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Brixly - Fast, Reliable, Secure UK Web Hosting
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - 920 brightness dimmer than 520?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

920 brightness dimmer than 520?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mystery_blue
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 9:55 am    Post subject: 920 brightness dimmer than 520? Reply with quote

I have both a Go 920 and Go 520 unit (purchased from new) the display brightness of the Go 920 is a lot dimmer than my Go 520.

The full 100% daytime brightness setting of the Go 920 equates to 80% on my Go 520. (All other settings the same).

I know there are some members with both units - how do yours compare?

Thanks in advance
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The brightness settings seem to change with every software update!
I have a Go 720 and a Go 940, both on most recent software (720 - v8.302, 940 - v8.310), and I would say the 720 is SLIGHTLY brighter on 100%, but more annoyingly for night driving, the 720 is much brighter (too bright) at the lowest setting, the so-called "0%".
Here they are with 100% brightness at the top, 0% at the bottom (I know it looks like the other way round, but that was my lousy camerawork and the auto-exposure on the camera!)

The 720 is on the left in both.

The other thing that might be affecting it is the "auto-brightness" if you have that option ticked. The light sensor and how it affects the brightness also seems to change with every software update. Try it with and without that option enabled (in Brightness preferences)
Do be aware it only affects the x40 models when they are on the windscreen mount.

EDIT: Here's another picture of a demo route with them both set to 100%.

to my eyes, the 940 seems very slightly brighter at 100%, but the contrast on the 720 seems slightly better and the screen is slightly less reflective.
mystery_blue
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P -
Thanks for taking the time to respond - I dont have the "auto-brightness" option ticked although have tried both settings - I find the 920 dim - the day setting at 100% is not too bad at night - whereas the 520 at 100% dazles, On the same software the 80% setting on the 520 equates to 100% on the 920.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 920 is brighter than my 720, partly because the 720 likes to live permanently on night setting (dim when dark), but also the 5% night time setting is much brighter on the 920 than on the 720.

920 on app 8.301, 720 on 8.010

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
mystery_blue
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Dennis, sending for repair to Tom Tom, Just trying to get a feel if the 920 was dimmer than the other units in the range. From your reply it doesn't look like it so homefully the unit will come back with a brighter display and what I have been used to and satisfied with on my 520. I Have checked the 920 with another couple of 520's with other couriers where I work - they are the same as my 520 i.e a lot brighter. Just checked again and the 15-20% day setting on the 520 equates to 100% on the 920.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've only just noticed that my lovely reply would have been a LOT more relevant if I had read your post properly and seen you were talking about a nine-TWENTY, not a nine-forty.... Crying or Very sad
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe forty-forty vision? Laughing

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: