Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - A couple of issues
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

A couple of issues
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
crazyhazy
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 11:03 am    Post subject: A couple of issues Reply with quote

I am in Spain at the moment visiting my mum who lives here. She picked us up from the airport and on the way back she got a bit lost (she hasnt lived here that long) I asked her why she didnt use her tomtom and her answer was "well it's crap".

Yesterday we went out and I said I would try the tomtom to see if it wasn't just a case of 'mother error'. She was right!! There are hardly any roads on the map especially near where she lives, when it did eventually find a road we were on it kept jumping about from the road we were on to the road which ran parrallel.

Before we set off I updated the gps and also there where some map corrections to install which I did. I know there is an update for her map but from what I have seen so far - as far as the map is concerned she has been ripped!

She drove from the UK and used her tomtom but also did a google earth print-off as backup. My brother who travelled with her said that not long after they had left the ferry it was in the glovebox and the maps were out! Not what you would accept really. I use mine regularly in the UK and it's brilliant, but over here its nowhere near the same. I also know there is a detailed map for Spain but If this is supposed to be the detailed Europe map then why should she buy another?

Her tomtom details are:
App 8.010 (9369/080529) OS:190943
GPS v1.21 Boot 5.5011
Map: Western Europe 1GB
v715.1689

Tomtom One
GPS v1.21, Boot 5.5011
United Kingdom and Replublic of Ireland v885.4058
MrT
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The WE 1GB map is limited as it is much smaller than the normal 2GB map and 7.15 is an older map. You do not say which TT unit you have.
crazyhazy
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, it's the new tomtom one. Going back to the issues, is there any explanation for it switching to and from the few roads it displays?

Tomtom One
GPS v1.21, Boot 5.5011
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know how old that map is, when was the device purchased?

The Spanish coverage used to be very poor but has improved dramatically in the last few years. The road 'jumping' could be a result of missing road info so the device was jumping from actual position to nearest road and then back again.
Trevor1234
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi crazyhazy
I must admit that I haven’t used my Tomtom in Spain but I do use it frequently in other European countries and I find it to be brilliant. I have used it dozens of times and it has never let me down once.

As I have already said, I haven’t used it in Spain but I have looked at the map view on my device and the roads look as detailed as those of the other countries.
Your experience really surprises me.
GPS World Traffic cameras
Home 2.7
iPhone 3G
crazyhazy
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The device was bought in October just gone. That is when she moved to Spain. As she has just said "It wasnt fit for the purpose" Wrong really when you think of how much she paid for it and it took her roughly 100 miles out of her way en-route!
Whinge over Mad
I still swear by mine in the uk Wink

Tomtom One
GPS v1.21, Boot 5.5011
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easiest way to prove it is if you can remember, or get your Mum to tell you, one or more of the missing roads. Then someone with a more up-to-date map can confirm they are now on it.

Are you SURE it is the latest One (with the easyport mount?). I would have thought that would have come with newer maps than v715
Her cheapest option might be the dedicated Spain and Portugal map v815.

As for the car "jumping" onto other roads, that is entirely normal.
This is one of the differences between a dedicated walking sat nav and one for driving. The TomTom always assumes you are following a road. If it finds your assumed position is drifting off track, it will assume it is a minor satellite reception problem and hold your path on the road it has in its mapping.
You need to deviate quite a long way "off-road" before it will give up and show you going across country. As soon as another road that it DOES know about comes near, it will attempt to "snap" you back onto it.
crazyhazy
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trevor1234 wrote:
Hi crazyhazy
I must admit that I haven’t used my Tomtom in Spain but I do use it frequently in other European countries and I find it to be brilliant. I have used it dozens of times and it has never let me down once.

As I have already said, I haven’t used it in Spain but I have looked at the map view on my device and the roads look as detailed as those of the other countries.
Your experience really surprises me.

You must have the detailed map Trevor, I'm sure yours is fine like you say. One thing I will say is that when she bought it - it says Europe. It doesnt say half the roads will be missing and you will need to upgrade otherwise you will be in no mans land half the time!

Tomtom One
GPS v1.21, Boot 5.5011
crazyhazy
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P wrote:
Easiest way to prove it is if you can remember, or get your Mum to tell you, one or more of the missing roads. Then someone with a more up-to-date map can confirm they are now on it.

Are you SURE it is the latest One (with the easyport mount?). I would have thought that would have come with newer maps than v715
Her cheapest option might be the dedicated Spain and Portugal map v815.

As for the car "jumping" onto other roads, that is entirely normal.
This is one of the differences between a dedicated walking sat nav and one for driving. The TomTom always assumes you are following a road. If it finds your assumed position is drifting off track, it will assume it is a minor satellite reception problem and hold your path on the road it has in its mapping.
You need to deviate quite a long way "off-road" before it will give up and show you going across country. As soon as another road that it DOES know about comes near, it will attempt to "snap" you back onto it.

Yes it is the easymount version.

Tomtom One
GPS v1.21, Boot 5.5011
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmmm... Probably could have done with using the Latest Map Guarantee on it when she bought it.
Easy to say in hindsight!
gsutherby
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have lived in Spain for over 7 years and have regularly used Tomtom Navigator from version 3.
I use the more detailed map of Iberia however as I find the European maps can be quite slow.
I find that the coverage here is very good, in fact some projected roads are included long before they are built! (The new road from Cullera to Sueca in Valencia Province was included more than a year before it was built)
The roads in urbanizacions, however do not seem to be updated very often, and my road does not appear although it has been completed for more than 8 years.
You do not say which area of Spain you are in. Is it an area with lots of new roads, urbanizations etc?
Aktronix BT receiver
8 gb SD card
1 gb CF card
matthewj
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Silly thought, but don't TomTom sell some units with "UK and major roads of Europe", which is different from the ones with the whole of Europe in detail? I wonder if this could be the case, and would explain why it isn't good at a local level.
GerryC
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

matthewj wrote:
Silly thought, but don't TomTom sell some units with "UK and major roads of Europe", which is different from the ones with the whole of Europe in detail? I wonder if this could be the case, and would explain why it isn't good at a local level.

Not in this case but they used to - he has already said she has the Western Europe 1GB map.
Brodit ProClip mount
classy56
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I visit Spain often, the last time was at Christmas, I had an old 710 with maps 7 qtrs out of date, it didn't put me wrong once, so I think something must be wrong somewhere with your Mums unit

To old to die young.
GerryC
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just thinking, where it jumps to a parallel road, is the "real" road on the map as well or is it missing? If it's there, it may be experiencing the problem where it shows you 200yds or so away from your current position.

Did you use QuickGPSFix or let it find the satellites itself?
Brodit ProClip mount

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: