Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Use of SDHC card
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Use of SDHC card

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gee-Pee
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 11:33 am    Post subject: Use of SDHC card Reply with quote

Just bought an 8gb card and have installed it on my device. Now I am given the choice, when updating on TT Home, of which device to update. I presume I should now always choose the SDHC card but what happens to the original data on the TT memory? Does that stay untouched? Or should I update both the card and the memory?
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to step back a little.... Why an SDHC card? I assume it's to take advantage of the extra storage capacity. I also assume you've done the job by copying everything from your internal memory to the card, so you've got the application and all maps, mp3s etc, etc on the card.

In that circumstance, the device boots from the card and ignores the application in the internal memory.

If all you are interested in is getting the latest application, but having extra storage for maps and music etc, then you don't need to have the application and all the rest on the card, simply have the maps and music in folders on the card. The device will see and use them just as readily as if they were in internal memory.

To answer your question, the original data will remain untouched when you update the card, so if you wish to update that, you'll have to select internal memory when Home asks you to choose. If you only have maps and music on the card, it won't ask you to choose.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
Gee-Pee
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
Just to step back a little.... Why an SDHC card? I assume it's to take advantage of the extra storage capacity. I also assume you've done the job by copying everything from your internal memory to the card, so you've got the application and all maps, mp3s etc, etc on the card.

Yes, that's correct

In that circumstance, the device boots from the card and ignores the application in the internal memory.

Yes, understood

If all you are interested in is getting the latest application, but having extra storage for maps and music etc, then you don't need to have the application and all the rest on the card, simply have the maps and music in folders on the card. The device will see and use them just as readily as if they were in internal memory.

To answer your question, the original data will remain untouched when you update the card, so if you wish to update that, you'll have to select internal memory when Home asks you to choose. If you only have maps and music on the card, it won't ask you to choose.

Thanks a lot. Just checking my assumption. I have ALL the original memory, maps etc on the card and still bags of room. So all I need do in future is update the card and back that up from time to time. Cool
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
If you only have maps and music on the card, it won't ask you to choose.

Beg to differ.... Yes it will Smile

Home updates lots of things, so it needs to know where to put them.
For instance, if you want to download Mapshare corrections for a map that is on the SD card you have to have that map selected as the current map on the TomTom itself AND select the SD card when Home starts up.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P wrote:
DennisN wrote:
If you only have maps and music on the card, it won't ask you to choose.

Beg to differ.... Yes it will Smile

I stand corrected! I plead the Fifth on the grounds that there is no way (as in "no way, Jose!") that I want Mapshare corruptions, thank you all the same. And I do have old app and map on internal and new app and map on SDHC myself, so I'm not using card for extra storage, but genuine alternative running.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
MrT
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I have a full system on the SHDC card in the Go, Home asks me when I connect if I want to use the card or the unit.

I also found when booting between 8.1 and 8.3 on the 530, virtually the same software, it wiped out my bluetooth pairings and settings. Using the same version (8.3) on the unit and SHDC this does not happen. The favourites and other settings were not afffected so it appears not to be an incompatible mapsettings.cfg file
Kar98
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
I plead the Fifth

Well...you can't :D
trapper
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just done the same, replaced the supplied card with a 4gb SDHC. I copied thr original card to the new card using windows explorer, but today have updated the PGPSW camera database. Home asked which I wanted, internal or card to update? I updated the card then updated the internal memory as I am not sure which TT will look for re the camera database, internal or card.

I thought that using a higher capacity card would give me more space for more POI's but it seems TT is using internal memory as well. If I put the new camera database on the card along with more POI's will the unit check the new database and POI's on the card or the old database and old POI's on the internal memory? When I update in future which should be used internal or card?
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TomTom Home has nothing to do with the PGPSW Speed Camera database installation or updates so I am a little confused as to what you have done here? - Mike
trapper
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Mike.

I realise that, my question was not to do with the PGPSW database, I used the PGPSW database update as a description as to what I was doing when I came across the problem below.

1. TT Home had no problems updating itself using the original setup and original card. I just connected my TT730T and off it went.

2. I installed the PGPSW database and other POI's on my TT730T then found the 'Removable Drive' as shown on Windows Explorer to be virtually full. I then bought a 4 GB SDHC card as a replacement (As I had done with an SD card for my old Navman 510) and copied the ‘Removable Disk’ in Explorer to the new card.

3. I replaced the card and my TT functioned fine. All okay up to now.

4. I decided it was time to update the PGPSW database so downloaded it last night.

5. I connected my TT to TT Home and was asked if I wanted to update my internal memory or card. As the card was a copy of the original (Or so I thought having copied the ‘Removable Drive’) why did TT now think it was a separate item?

6. I copied the PGPSW database to the card and it worked fine.

7. I then wondered why Home should think I had two drives, internal and removable so checked the date of the PGPSW database on the card, this showed as 01/02/2009 I then checked the internal memory and found exactly the same file system as the card but the date of the PGPSW database was from last year, the last time I updated it which was prior to using my 4 GB replacement card.

My question was does TT use the internal memory when searching for the PGPSW database and POI’s or the card? If it uses the internal memory then adding the new card will not help. With my old Navman I upgraded my SD card and had no problems with smart V3 it just gave me more room to add POI’s. I guess TT does it differently.

On reflection perhaps I should have removed the supplied card, copied that to my new 4 GB card and then replaced it but would this method allow me the additional memory to add more POI’s and will TT see them anyway?

I hope the above make things clearer!
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

trapper wrote:

5. I connected my TT to TT Home and was asked if I wanted to update my internal memory or card. As the card was a copy of the original (Or so I thought having copied the ‘Removable Drive’) why did TT now think it was a separate item?

Because it is.Smile
You still have two storage locations which Home can use - Internal memory and SD card slot. Home doesn't care what you have put on the card, it still needs to ask which place you want use to store any changes in that session.

trapper wrote:

7. I then wondered why Home should think I had two drives, internal and removable

As above... you *do* have two.

trapper wrote:
My question was does TT use the internal memory when searching for the PGPSW database and POI’s or the card?

That depends....
On a Go730, it can access BOTH storage locations at once. So you can have the system loading from the internal memory and have a map on the internal and another map on the SD card and it will be able to access either one.

If you put the system files on the SD card too, then it will boot from the version on the card, but it will STILL be able to access maps on both.

However, any POIs (including the PGPSW camera database) always need to be in the map folder for the map you want to use them with.
You cannot put the map in one place and POIs for it somewhere else.
So the POIS used will always be the ones in the folder of the map that you have switched to.

Your problem (if you have exactly the same map in both places) is that it can be quite hard to know which one is which when you come to select one on the "Switch map" page.

As you can use the map from either place, it is pointless and a waste of space putting it in both.
trapper
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Andy for your explanation, it makes sense and was sort of what I had guessed but was certainly not sure!

I suppose I have now duplicated maps and system files, as I want only one source of mapping (So no problems with map switching?) and any POI's and databases need to go into the mapping folder, I would be best using the 4 GB card to house the mapping folder leaving everything else on the internal memory? I do not know if the internal memory also houses a mapping folder but assume it does having to update the PGPSW database twice.

As I want only one source of the PGPSW database would it be safe to remove the mapping folder from the internal memory so forcing TT to see mapping and my POI's on the card?

Sorry to seem so thick, (I would call it careful) as I do not want to screw up my TT by making a silly mistake.

Once again thanks for your help.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, it make *perfect* sense to be cautious. Far better to ask first, than charge ahead without making a few enquiries.

I would say the best solution is to leave everything on the internal memory if it will all fit. You can then use the SD card for music etc.

If space is tight, leave everything on the internal memory except your map.

Now, in your case, what I think that will involve is this:

1. Browse to the SD card with Windows Explorer and take everything off it except the "Western Europe" folder. Don't just delete it... move it onto your PC temporarily, in case anything goes wrong.

2. Check the Go still functions and can find the map.

3. Then go to the internal memory and remove the "Western Europe" folder from there (in the same way... move it to the PC for now)

4. Check the Go still works and can see the map

You should now be nearly done...
But as there is some confusion about where you have stored all your Speed cameras and other POIs, you need to check all those, and either copy them back from the map folder you removed into the remaining one, or just re-download a fresh set (might be quickest and easiest!)
trapper
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Andy.

Thanks for the advice, I will print it out and sort out my TT tonight. I will put the mapping on the card along with the camera database and my POI's in the same folder. I will take a copy of the internal memory mapping folder and put this on my PC so ending up with only one map folder on the card with everything else on the internal memory, this should release some space.

regards

Trapper.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: