Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom Voice Commands
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom Voice Commands

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
apwood
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 2:28 pm    Post subject: TomTom Voice Commands Reply with quote

Having recently upgraded to Navcore 8.30, I suffered badly from the voice stuttering problem, and so followed Mike's instructions to apply 8.32 and the TTS voice for Kate in the loquendo TTS folder.

This has solved the stuttering, although the spoken words don't seem quite as good as before and there is still some jerkiness and occasional delay in screen update. So far, it my TMC Traffic seems much better than before and I think it has solved a problem I had with the device switching itself on. So mostly good.

I currently have an old map - Western and Central Europe v710.1576 (hoping for the next map to come out before using my Latest Map Guarantee to download a new map).

I expected the new Navcore to include the updated voice commands from the x40 range. Is this not so, or perhaps 8.30 included it but not 8.32?

If it should be included, how can I enable it? I can't see the microphone symbol to enter into voice command mode, and cannot find the preferences item to "Enable Voice Control".

How can I get this working? Note - I can use touch-screen options "spoken address" and "spoken address - dialague" as before.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The spoken comands that are employed on the x40 range of products are not intended for use on the other earlier devices, the software you have installed is for the x20 or x30.

As you are running a v710 map you might as well stick with Navcore 8,010 as the newer Navcores offer no benefit until you install the v815 (or higher when they become available) maps.

When you want to update the map using LMG make sure you have the latest version of Navcore installed as available on the day which should be the officailly released software intended for use on your device, otherwise it will probably go wrong, I am not too sure what TomTom Home will make of a device running 8,320 while trying to use the LMG - Mike
apwood
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
The spoken comands that are employed on the x40 range of products are not intended for use on the other earlier devices, the software you have installed is for the x20 or x30.

Really - that's a surpirse? Is the hardware (other than HD traffic) different on the two? I would expect TomTom would have included the voice command improvements in the navcore update for x20 and x30 because as yet the voice recognition facilities (even in x40) are half-hearted and don't really contribute to safety (which is the only point in having them in the first place).

mikealder wrote:
As you are running a v710 map you might as well stick with Navcore 8,010 as the newer Navcores offer no benefit until you install the v815 (or higher when they become available) maps.

So far, I get the following benefits from using v8.32 even with the old maps. Would v8.010 give me the same benefits?

General improvements

1. My device no longer switches itself on automatically when I leave it off.
2. When battery gets below 50% it no lnoger repeatedly switches itself off and back on again.
3. The battery saving option works better - screen now only dims and gradually brightens when its needed
4. The over speed limit warning is much improved

TMC traffic improvements

5. Now locks onto station almost instantly and stays locked on instead of repeatedly searching. Manual tuning also now works when it didn't before (although auto is fine for me now).
6. When it needs to retune, it does so much more quickly
7. Traffic reports seem to be more accurate, updated more regularly, and include the actual amount of delay (no longer says "1 minute" all the time)
8. Spoken details of traffic reports seem better
9. I think there are other TMC improvements but I could be wrong

mikealder wrote:
When you want to update the map using LMG make sure you have the latest version of Navcore installed as available on the day which should be the officailly released software intended for use on your device, otherwise it will probably go wrong, I am not too sure what TomTom Home will make of a device running 8,320 while trying to use the LMG - Mike

Good point. I hope they release a fixed / updated Navcore when the next map comes out!

My previous setup - App 7.221, GPS 1.21, Boot 5.4106
Now - App 8.32, otherwise same
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 7:15 pm    Post subject: Re: TomTom Voice Commands Reply with quote

apwood wrote:

I currently have an old map - Western and Central Europe v710.1576 (hoping for the next map to come out before using my Latest Map Guarantee to download a new map).

How long have you had the Go? Do you realise you only get 30 days from purchase date to use the LMG?
apwood
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 7:32 pm    Post subject: Re: TomTom Voice Commands Reply with quote

Andy_P wrote:

How long have you had the Go? Do you realise you only get 30 days from purchase date to use the LMG?

My 30 days runs out on 10th February.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK... cool. Smile
AndyVaughan
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Would v8.010 give me the same benefits?

General improvements

1. My device no longer switches itself on automatically when I leave it off.
2. When battery gets below 50% it no lnoger repeatedly switches itself off and back on again.
3. The battery saving option works better - screen now only dims and gradually brightens when its needed
4. The over speed limit warning is much improved

TMC traffic improvements

5. Now locks onto station almost instantly and stays locked on instead of repeatedly searching. Manual tuning also now works when it didn't before (although auto is fine for me now).
6. When it needs to retune, it does so much more quickly
7. Traffic reports seem to be more accurate, updated more regularly, and include the actual amount of delay (no longer says "1 minute" all the time)
8. Spoken details of traffic reports seem better
9. I think there are other TMC improvements but I could be wrong

All of the TMC improvements will be seen with 8.010.

I think most if not all of the others will be as well.

Do a full Windows Explorer backup and then give it a whirl - there are tutorials on here about how to roll back from 8.3 to 8.010

Andy
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AndyVaughan wrote:
there are tutorials on here about how to roll back from 8.3 to 8.010

One such set of instructions can be found by clicking Here - Mike
matthewj
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

apwood wrote:
because as yet the voice recognition facilities (even in x40) are half-hearted and don't really contribute to safety (which is the only point in having them in the first place).

FWIW, I agree they are half-hearted, but I found one instance where they are really good for safety. When traffic gets bad, the TT will tell you that there is a delay ahead, and ask if you would like to divert to avoid it. At that point it goes into voice mode so you can say "yes" or "no". I was impressed enough that I thought it worth leaving on for just that time.
MrT
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When HD traffic gives you the voice option to take an alterntative route does the microphone and coloured speech level indicator appear in the top right corner? I only recall getting a pale blue screen with two buttons on it.
matthewj
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrT wrote:
When HD traffic gives you the voice option to take an alterntative route does the microphone and coloured speech level indicator appear in the top right corner? I only recall getting a pale blue screen with two buttons on it.

It did for me. I was so taken aback and took so long thinking it went away on its own too.
apwood
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

matthewj wrote:
When traffic gets bad, the TT will tell you that there is a delay ahead, and ask if you would like to divert to avoid it. At that point it goes into voice mode so you can say "yes" or "no". I was impressed enough that I thought it worth leaving on for just that time.

I agree - I hadn't noticed that yet. Thanks.
apwood
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks all for the advice on 8.010. I will probably give it a whirl.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: