Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom XL - Speed Cameras.
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom XL - Speed Cameras.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Illmatic
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 5:49 pm    Post subject: TomTom XL - Speed Cameras. Reply with quote

Hi guys, just a quick question, stumbled across this forum while looking for answers. ;D

I recently bought a TomTom XL that came with the TomTom Speed Camera database, so I plugged it into my laptop and updated the database via Home. I tried out the TomTom and passed a speed camera but the TomTom only beeped when I was directly in-line with the camera.

After that, I approached another Speed Camera but I was doing way below the speed limit due to traffic, and the camera didn't appear at all on the satnav, is that because i was doing below the speed limit, or some settings need to be changed on the TomTom?

Can someone advise me what's the best thing to do? Thanks for your help. Very Happy
Daggers
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The best thing to do is disable the TomTom Speed Cameras, subscribe to PGPSW, and download the speed cameras from here. You'll then end up with a much more accurate, up-to-date and configurable set of warnings.
Illmatic
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was planning on doing this, I'm just trying to figure out how to sort this stuff out first. Any ideas?
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All the settings are in the "Plus Services" menu. You can alter the sound used and the "warning time", but they are usually already set up to be about 15 seconds warning.
Unlike some other brands the TomTom camera database alerts at all speeds, not just if you are over the limit. (I've heard someone say they've changed the system so it that *is* the case, but that's not how it works on both a Go720 and a Go940, I haven't tried it on a One).

So.... why did you got a late warning for your first example camera?
Possibly because it is in their database in the wrong place, or possibly because a navigation instruction was being played at the time (they take precedence).

And why did it miss the second camera completely?
Possibly because it was just missing from their data. Did it show on screen?

As the others have said, I wouldn't waste your time with it. As the PGPSW database uses the standard POI system, you might as well learn the ins and outs of that method from the start!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: