Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Brixly - Fast, Reliable, Secure UK Web Hosting
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Voice alerts for speed camera database
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Voice alerts for speed camera database

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database
View previous topic :: View next topic  
brianell01
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 11:21 pm    Post subject: Voice alerts for speed camera database Reply with quote

Hi,

I am trying to download voice alerts for my PocketGPS world Speed Camera database download but cannot find a link to take me to the Voice Alerts suitable for the single file camera database which I have downloaded . The voice download web page refers to various types of voice alerts as being available but the page only shows Speed Zoned voice alerts.

Can any one assist please?

Brian
Mullet
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 2:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome

Try here. Liz single voice file with or without a siren prefix. There may also be others in the voices section.
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 2:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suspect brianell01 is using a Garmin Sat Nav and that's why all that is listed is Speed Zoned.

The problem with using the links from the TomTom section is they will be OGG files and will need converting to MP3 for a Garmin. You can use a program such as Audacity to do this.

Not sure why there are no Single File or Consolidated Voices for the Garmin range....

brianell01 - can you confirm the make and model sat nav you are using?
Mullet
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 4:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good point Paul. BTW you just hit the 5k post mark with that one Clap

brianell01 - I converted the Liz single no siren to mp3. Download from here and un zip. Untested but it should be fine for Garmin.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to ask why you are using the single file version? The Consolidated or SpeedZoned database alternatives offer a much better experience?
brianell01
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 8:22 pm    Post subject: Voice alerts for speed camera database Reply with quote

To Darren/Mullet/PaulB2005

Guys

Many thanks for your responses!

Darren,

The reason I downloaded the single file version of the speed camera database was because the web page suggested that it might be a simple starting point. Also I did not know what the memory capacity of my Sat Nav was nor how much memory the database file would take up.

However following the submission of my first email I decided to try another tack and removed the single file database and successfully downloaded and installed the Speed Zoned database with a view to downloading and installing the speed zoned voice alerts.

Mullet,

Many thanks for the links!
I am afaid that I am not a very lateral thinker and would never have thought of looking into and using TOM TOM files for a solution.

PaulB2005

Paul,

Your suspicions were correct I AM using a Garmin. It is an old Streetpilot i3 Software Ver 3.4 with Audio Ver 2.30 and when trying to install the mp3 speed zoned voice alerts I get a message stating that the files require to have a .csv or .gpx extension.

Am I out of luck in trying to get voice alerts installed to this model or will it recognise wav files or some other version? I have seen a reference to a workaround for Garmin Nuvi units which apparently don't recognise mp3 files.

If my unit won't accept voice alerts do you know what will happen if I pass a camera that is listed on the data base? Will there be any sort of warning?
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
It is an old Streetpilot i3 Software Ver 3.4 with Audio Ver 2.30

The voice alerts won't work i'm afraid. IIRC the work around doesn't work either for the i3.

Download and install the Consolidated Database - it's the best once for the i3 IMO.

When you approach a camera (and if you are over the speed limit) you'll get an initial Proximity Alert ("Bong, Bong") and a banner across the screen giving details. As you approach if you are still speeding the Over-speed Alert will start and the "Bong, Bong" will become higher and faster. You'll also see an icon on the screen to indicate the camera position. Once you drop below the speed limit the alerts will stop and the icons disappear.

You can also put alternative icons on from here. The bigger 24x24 icons will work too.

Later you may want to consider trying Ash10s Camera Manager which downloads the database for you, allows you to tweak the warning distances and will give you alerts even if you are under the speed limit so you always get a Proximity Alert. There are a few other functions which you can see here
brianell01
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 4:21 pm    Post subject: Voice alerts for speed camera database Reply with quote

Paul,

Many thanks for your comments, Very Happy I will try out your suggestions and let you know how I got on.

PS From the time of your response were you on night shift or just a very early riser?

Best Wishes for the New Year

Brian

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: