Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - 2 Navcores - why ?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

2 Navcores - why ?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
davidsims
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 11:37 am    Post subject: 2 Navcores - why ? Reply with quote

Sent this to TomTom support:

With the recent release of 8.3 my voices stutter and the screen is VERY VERY slow.

As a workaround I have installed 8.203 intended for X40 devices
This works fine

Why have 2 separate applications? (one of which does not work)
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't quite understand the point here?

Yes there are two different releases of Navcore 8,300 one is for the x20 devices and the other is for the x30 units.

The software you are currently using on your 520 (IIRC) is intended for use on an x40 so I very much doubt TomTom CS will offer any advice at all, at the end of the day if people only used Home to update/ upgrade/ downgrade their own devices what you have done couldn't occur.

By manually downloading a different version they have no reason to offer support at all, it would have been a better approach to ask them what they are doing about the slow display refresh rates and stuttering voice while using 8,300 IMHO - Mike
davidsims
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not really asking for support. It is aimed at getting them to think why they are supporting and maintaining 2 different versions and to think about a singular version
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am sure they would do if it were possible but look at the existing product range all with similar appearance and feel to the menu system but each set of devices uses its own Navcore:

One
Rider
Gox00
Gox10
Gox20
G0x30
Gox40

There are probably other versions as well, but as the devices functionality differs and new products evolve then new software variants are inevitable

I guess we are lucky with the TomTom range though, even the earliest Go devices are still supported with new software - not many other manufacturers offer such a claim, let alone actually manage to keep offering new software/ mapping etc for the older devices - Mike
Trevor1234
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Mike
There is something else that must make life difficult for Tomtom concerning v8.300 and that is that some users (I am one) have no problems with .8.300. No one stutters and when navigating there is no lag between my position on the road and on the screen. Now why is that?

On top of that I think the 720 is a brilliant piece of kit.
GPS World Traffic cameras
Home 2.7
iPhone 3G
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a difference between the LoquendoTTS files installed to some early x20 units when compared to the ones sold later in the production run. Whether this is partly to blame for the stuttering I don't know, not everyone uses a computer voice though and it only seems to stutter when using the TTS system.
The slow screen refresh rate is something else I have seen on my unit and I have no idea at all with this problem - all I can say is sit tight and await the next update which will hopefully address these issues.

I would agree with you about the 720 though it is a great device, if you haven't experienced any of the above problems please don't feel you are missing out on something - you are one of the lucky ones - Mike
thetrotter
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Mike.

I'm surprised you're not championing the 8.204 Navcore as it achieves all the things you were working on and especially as the refresh rate is excellent - and with the bonus of the new icons etc, without sound problems.

Albeit the GPRS service is no longer working, if that's something you use. No other known issues though.

Do you foresee other problems?
PGPSWorld Speed Camera Database (naturally)
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even if this work around seems to work I am not prepared to sign up to it, as it could cause other issues when a new release of Navcore appears. This is why I have maintained stating that if people want to try running x40 software on an x20/ x30 device then they need to make a full backup prior to messing around.

I often run different versions of the Navcore software on my devices, the new icons would be nice on the x20/ x30 platform but this is going to be down to TomTom and whether they will release them at some future point.

I do use some of the GPRS services and have a 940 on which to run the 8,2xx code (thats the device it is intended for), my 720 and 930 will stay running 8,3xx for the time being - Mike
thetrotter
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fair enough Mike, I'll respect your expertese on technical matters like this.

By the way, that's quite some Navigational arsenal you have there matey. I guess you like to be sure you're never flying blind! Cool
PGPSWorld Speed Camera Database (naturally)
D4VE
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess that is one of the negative aspects of being a moderator. The only way to help us poor unfortunates on this forum is the need for experience across a broad spectrum of PND's. (bummer) assuming its affordable that is Mike...Laughing Out Loud

Dave
TomTom iPhone Car Kit

PC Operating System: Windows 7
AndyVaughan
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:

I do use some of the GPRS services and have a 940 on which to run the 8,2xx code (thats the device it is intended for), my 720 and 930 will stay running 8,3xx for the time being - Mike

You want to see his car windscreen - I am surprised he can see out with all the wires, mounts and satnavs on there!

Andy

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: