Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Why won't TT allow me to download my map?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Why won't TT allow me to download my map?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dougproctor
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 11:44 am    Post subject: Why won't TT allow me to download my map? Reply with quote

I bought a USA map for my TT 720T in January 08. Although I now have a TT 730T, on using Home, it says I have bought this map, but it says it is unavailable for download to my device.
I did delete if from the old device so why can't I download it again to my new device? Are these locked to one device and once downloaded, that's it, you cannot change it?
Thanks
Doug
Crying or Very sad
EricWB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have really answered your own question. Because you purchased the map for an earlier device that is the only device you can install it on.

It seems a bit harsh but if you were allowed to install it upon as many devices that you or your friends had access to it would seriously reduce the potential sales of maps by TT.

Who cares I hear you say? But if maps could be easily copied to other devices, those that did purchase them would have to pay much more to get them in the first place.
dougproctor
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I understand the piracy bit but it is unfair to all those who are genuine. We pay for a map and then are unable to change our device because the damn thing is locked to that one machine for ever! What a waste of £70!
Doug
LesP2008
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Couldn't agree more Doug.
I too can understand piracy issues but i have 3 maps that i have purchased and are unable to download because of this same issue.
Needless to say though i have back ups.
I am not well versed on encryption but surely there must be some way to let genuine users use whatever map they have purchased on whatever device they are registered as the owner of. Of course it's a minefield for TomTom but it seems that little thought has been given to a solution, it's a case of a blanket stopper on everything but your current map.
I have maps that are for my same device but still home does not allow me to download them, only my current one.
EricWB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess pressure would need to be applied to TT along the lines that the inability to transfer recently acquired maps from one device to another might have a substantial effect upon sales of new devices.

This theory is based upon the fact that TT seem to bring out a new device every few weeks presumably because this way encourages sales, but owners maybe reluctant to buy if they have additional maps upon their existing devices.

As for the piracy the only way I can figure out how to allow transfers between devices for the same owner would mean TT completely changing their security system to something like multiple devices per account then logging what device has what map, but I guess that has a route for at least one coach and horse to ride trough so they wont do it.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: