Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Unhappy Tomtom Customer seeking refuge
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Unhappy Tomtom Customer seeking refuge
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Russybabes
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 8:40 pm    Post subject: Unhappy Tomtom Customer seeking refuge Reply with quote

I have been a TT customer in various forms since Navigator 1. I am in the process of having a hard time with them regarding moving devices from a One to a TyTn II. I use their Traffic services and this is the most important element to me. I now get a nasty error message when I try to use the service. Their support is crap and they just keep putting me off by phone. I am now looking at alternatives. I have asked ALK for a Co pilot trial by email but have not heard anything back from them. I would be interested in opinions from you guys. You are already using the service... Thanks, Russell
Russybabes
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing I forgot to say. I use my PDA for EVERYTHING. If I have to keep changing memory cards to use the navigation software I will not buy it....
scarymonkey
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I left TT after they refused to give any indication of when they will release Nav7 for PDAs. Initially I used CoPilot 7 as it came with my Orbit 2, but was never entirely happy with it.
As IGo 8 has been praised by many I emailed both NavnGo and Nemesis (the old UK distributor) foir details of where to buy. Neither bothered to reply. If they can not be bothered to support pre sales then what will the support be like? I decided not to tempt fate so ruled IGo out too.

Recently I purchased McGuider (it is quite cheap £40 for full TeleAtlas European mapping) from Expansys. Its gui is very TomTom like, but as being effectively a first generation, there are a few niggles. Overall though I am happy with it. For you though I guess the biggest drawback will be there is no traffic support currently available. It is planned for a future release (later this year according to the McGuider website) and hopefully the application update will be provided FOC for existing customers.
I am also in the process of creating a simple support site for McGuider with info on what I have come across - enabling custom POIs etc.

Do you know anyone else who has a PDA navigation solution? If so, ask them if you can have a quick play with the software. This is really the only way to find a solution that works best for your particular needs.
scarymonkey
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Russybabes wrote:
One thing I forgot to say. I use my PDA for EVERYTHING. If I have to keep changing memory cards to use the navigation software I will not buy it....

Based on this, rule out IGo8 as it is locked to the original card. McGuider gives you the chance to move the application and maps to a different card once and I believe CoPilot has no limitiation at all - the CoPilot Central software appears to give the ability to recreate maps etc if the card is replaced (and I read on the ALK website how to do this as well).
Russybabes
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone have good experience of co pilot presales? or support? My problem with TT is the fact that their 1st line support seem to be incapable of dealing with what appears to be a relatively simple problem. I'm looking at a £100 + shell out for Co pilot. How does the traffic service compare with Tomtoms GPRS services?
Russybabes
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why do I get this horrible feeling that TT has the best overall solution and I am trapped with trying to get their horific support operation to fix my problem?
Russybabes
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 9:50 pm    Post subject: The best way to buy Reply with quote

What is teh best way to but CP7? Should I download from a Handango type outfit or should I buy boxed? With either method will I be able to install onto my existing 6GB MicroSD card?
lillyelse
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 11:36 pm    Post subject: TTN6 and COPL7 Reply with quote

For what it's worth, I've had no real problem contacting ALK by email.
The've always been polite and reasonably quick to respond.

However, I too am desperately trying to move away from TT for many of the reasons you quote.

But, TT has the easiest interface of all PNA and PDA software. Alk's mapping is very disappointing on COPL6 and TTN6 isn't much better. So whose PDA software do you buy? What is available that offers up to date mapping, flexibility, and non straight-jacket approach to use of the software?

They asume we're all pirates waiting to rip them off, when in reallity it is the likes of TT that are ripping us off every whichway.
Russybabes
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 1:18 pm    Post subject: For gods sake Reply with quote

I very politely asked for a trial so that I can decide whether or not to buy their product..... Below is the reply. Does no-one want my business? I can't believe this mentality.:-

Discussion Thread
---------------------------------------------------------------
Response (Adrian) - 21/08/2008 12.42 PM
Dear Russell,

Thank you for contacting CoPilot Technical Support.

With regards to your query we inform you that CoPilot 7 trial versions are not available, only the T-Mobile MDA IV comes with a 7 days trial.

If you have any further questions, or feel that this incident has not been resolved to your satisfaction, please do not hesitate to bring this to our attention.

Regards,

CoPilot European Technical Support
Email: ukcustservice@alk.eu.com
Tel: 0871 641 2540
SpikeyMikey
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Reading between the lines here (I hope correctly Wink ), your problem is that you want to transfer your account to a PDA instead of a stand alone unit. All you need to do is change the device on your account.

If you want the traffic service on your PND you reset your account and the service should be available.

I hope I've not misinterpreted your original point, if I have ignore me, others do Laughing
Russybabes
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are absolutely correct Mike. I have followed the process to the letter. The device code on the My TomTom page is the device code of my PDA. Usernames and passwords are correct. PDA is successfully authenticating against TomTom server etc etc. Traffic account is reset at My Tomtom... It still won't work though. Says that content is for exclusive use of another device. There was a previous copy of Nav6 on the PDA which I did not own. Before replacing it with a new copy bought recently I had activated the traffic free trial which was on the PDA. It worked fine there however the user credentials were different I believe.
SpikeyMikey
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you activated the traffic trial BEFORE installing your own copy then I am assuming that the service thinks it is linked to the original software. Although I understood it links to the device (maybe the same thing).

Does that sound feasible?
Russybabes
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, that is exactly what I tried to explain to their support guys. They either couldn't or wouldn't give me an answer. I rang them again yesterday and they promised to call be back with a solution at the latest today... Needless to say, I am not holding my breath.
Russybabes
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I made the daily phonecall to TT today. I started to drill harder and got past the invitations from them to go with Garmin instead (even though I had not suggested Garmin). Eventually they volunteered the information that the problem I have is afftecting others and that the issue is not a lack of trust. Apparently they have a problem as a result of merging two systems about 10 days ago and are working to fix it (or roll back). It only affects people trying to change devices...
SpikeyMikey
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You've confused me there Confused (Not hard to do)

Why would TT try to 'steer' you towards Garmin?

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> CoPilot Live All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: