Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - PDA battery discharge
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

PDA battery discharge

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Robin2
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2004 12:34 am    Post subject: PDA battery discharge Reply with quote

Can anyone tell me how to minimise battery discharge? A couple of months ago I had to leave my PDA (iPAQ 2210) unattended for 4 weeks. When I returned the battery was flat and it had done a hard reset - I had to reinstall all my software and had lost the speed camera locations which I had entered into CheckPOInt. I am sure that I had checked there were no running programs before going away.
Since then I have loaded the HP ROM upgrade to v1.10. I believe there was a discharge problem which that upgrade is supposed to have fixed.
Any info/advice would be appreciated.
Robin
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2004 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

not much you can do - set yourself an alarm every two weeks to remind yourself that you need to rechange the iPAQ. Or - make a full system backup onto storage card and then just live with the fact that it drains after a while.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2004 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm surprised you lost your CheckPOInt data - that goes in your map folder, which most people have on a storage card.

There's no way to leave a Pocket PC for more than a few days and get away with it unless you leave it on the charger (which won't damage it - indeed, it's encouraged to leave it on charge when it's not in use - Lithium Ion batteries are best if they're kept topped up). The main memory in a Pocket PC is RAM, which has to be kept powered at all times to retain the data - that's the main power drain. In addition, even with no applications running, the processor will wake up at intervals for housekeeping.

You will have iPAQ Backup in your ROM, which allows you to back up to a storage card at regular intervals. This makes recovering from a hard reset (whether intentional or via flat batteries) much easier - you simply restore the backup.

iPAQ Backup may allow you to backup automatically when your batteries are failing - certainly the full version of iPAQ Backup (Sprite Backup Premium Edition, which you can upgrade to for US$10 because you have iPAQ Backup in your machine) allows you to do this. Team it with a good brand (not Sandisk or rebadges thereof) of SD card (256MB is affordable these days, and makes smaller cards somewhat pointless), and you should be away.

Personally, I'd struggle if I was separated from my Pocket PC for four hours, let alone four weeks!

David
Robin2
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2004 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks David W - I was not sure if it was safe to leave it on charge all the time. I can easily do that - problem solved!
Robin
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2004 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isn't it nice when there's an easy fix?

The backup stuff is worth looking in to as well - not least because being an owner of a modern iPAQ, you can get the excellent Sprite Backup Premium Edition so cheaply. Check it out at the Sprite Software web site. (Look especially for the iPAQ owners button...).

David

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: