Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Badly placed POI's
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Badly placed POI's

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Points Of Interest (POIs)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tom59
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 8:54 pm    Post subject: Badly placed POI's Reply with quote

Idea I got a bit hungry this afternoon and decided to go to Burger King (52.17498, 0.14175), my trusty TT took me straight to the front door of A&E at Addenbrooks Hospital. I know that burgers are not good for you, but with that amount of medical back up, who cares!

I looked on our submit POI map and found some other stuff that could be wrong. 55786, 182531 and 188966. I didn't go in, so I don't know if there are these franchises in the hospital or not. Assuming that they are actually in the hospital, when you post something like this, it may be better to locate it in the car park which will stop plonkers like me trying to park in among all the ambulances.

I then went to find the next closest Burger King, 'cos I got nothing to eat at the hospital and I was still hungry.
Similar story to the one above. I got taken down a little side street that terminated in residential cottages. The cottages backed on to a very large shopping centre. The POI was probably correctly placed on the ground, but no chance of accessing it with a car. I have requested that all the POI's in that area are moved to the car park entrance, which means that you do not spend fifteen minutes trying to reverse out on to a main road with cars parked on either side. Rolling Eyes

TT iPhone app
V 1.23 Map: Western and Central Europe 2 GB V 965.7286

TT iOS Go Mobile
V 1.1 Map: Western Europe 965.7248
GPS_fan
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know about Addenbrooks, but Southampton General has a Burger King just inside the main entrance.

It may not be the healthiest of food, but it can make a pleasant change from canteen food occasionally if you're spending any time in the hospital.

McDonalds may not be that healthy either, but the McDonalds Childrens' Charity provides accommodation for parents with sick children and I never thought I'd be grateful to McDonalds, but.....
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 9:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Badly placed POI's Reply with quote

Tom59 wrote:
Idea I got a bit hungry this afternoon and decided to go to Burger King (52.17498, 0.14175), my trusty TT took me straight to the front door of A&E at Addenbrooks Hospital. I know that burgers are not good for you, but with that amount of medical back up, who cares!

I looked on our submit POI map and found some other stuff that could be wrong. 55786, 182531 and 188966. I didn't go in, so I don't know if there are these franchises in the hospital or not. Assuming that they are actually in the hospital, when you post something like this, it may be better to locate it in the car park which will stop plonkers like me trying to park in among all the ambulances.

I then went to find the next closest Burger King, ....... The POI was probably correctly placed on the ground, but no chance of accessing it with a car.
A quick look reveals that they are original POIs, one even created back in 2002, that appear to be based on Postcodes.

Tom59 wrote:
I have requested that all the POI's in that area are moved to the car park entrance, which means that you do not spend fifteen minutes trying to reverse out on to a main road with cars parked on either side. Rolling Eyes
This is something that is covered in the POI Submission Guidelines Here.

Quote:
3. How to position a POI.

The POI latitude and longitude co-ordinates will be used by your SatNav to get you to the location of the POI so do not position the POI on the actual building in a large retail park. Position the POI on a road within the retail park close to the store or at the entrance to the car parking area. The Google Map Satellite view quite often shows a detailed image which can be used to select the best position. Please use the Comments box to say how the POI has been positioned.

Remember that sliproads to motorway service areas can be some way from the actual position of a POI in the service area. So if you are using your SatNav to issue a warning when approaching a POI it is better to place the POI on the sliproad rather than on the actual building. Basically you need to know which POI are present in the service area not their exact positions. Again, please use the Comments box to say how the POI has been positioned.

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was having a good old chuckle at Tom59s post, well written!!

Does have a serious side mind, the post code entered POIs are almost always in the wrong place - can't be helped.
Just have to keep plugging away and change them wherever possible.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Points Of Interest (POIs) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: