Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Has battery performance improved?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Has battery performance improved?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wibbly
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 11:18 am    Post subject: Has battery performance improved? Reply with quote

I'm considering buying a device as a present. I have a ONE V2 as a reference point. One thing I *don't* like about it is how it self discharges its battery in about a week of non-use (I know it's possible to "reset/power off" the device but then the clock stops). Also the battery life in use is very short (designed only for setting up destinations before you go really).

So, if I get a current generation device (say one of the ONE series, maybe or an XL series), have they improved in these two respects? It's one area when Garmin claim a better spec at least for runnig time ('up to 5hrs battry life')
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A lot of manufacturers claim elongated battery durations, if you look at a TomTom One XL v9 (this is the new one with the easy port mount) I would expect to see around 2 to 2,5 hours from a full charge when not connected to the vehicle supply. This is the typical endurance I have seen when trying it without car power.
All car based devices are supplied with a car charger lead and it is intended that the device should be powered while in use, you can also power the device from a USB port on your PC, just remember to answer No to the question about connecting to the PC. I have no idea what the battery durations are for the Garmin products, perhaps asking a similar question in the Garmin area will give a better idea from actual users of the hardware - Mike
wibbly
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about self discharge? Do the newer devices go flat in week on their own?
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never leave a device that long between use, although some of the units have had a tendency to automatically power up of their own accord which does lead to a flat battery. My One Third Edition (v7) does this from time to time, you don't notice it unless you have the device sat in front of you when it suddenly fires up, so perhaps this is what your device is doing? - Mike
Antoeknee
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm still using a TT500 which does whats necessary i.e. gets me from A to B. Like others I'm not interested in MP3 player and other 'added' features.

The battery life is still really good I usually get 4+ hours.
Calomax
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wibbly wrote
Quote:
What about self discharge? Do the newer devices go flat in week on their own?

Living in Guernsey, I only use the device for 3 or 4 weeks in a year. Bit I still keep it permanently in its cradle so it charges every time the computer is on.

I think I saw a post once that oit damages the battery to let it run down the recharge it regularly.
Tom59
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe that it actually does a battery good to be discharged fully, then recharged now and again. Unless anyone knows different...................

TT iPhone app
V 1.23 Map: Western and Central Europe 2 GB V 965.7286

TT iOS Go Mobile
V 1.1 Map: Western Europe 965.7248
Anita
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom59 wrote:
I believe that it actually does a battery good to be discharged fully, then recharged now and again. Unless anyone knows different...................

I believe that what Oldboy said on 13 August is true of the battery in TomTom devices:

Oldboy wrote:
The modern Li-Pol batteries like to be kept with a charge. It is detrimental to let them go flat too many times.

Samsung Galaxy S21
technik
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom59 wrote:

That wouyld actually destroy a modern lithium Ion battery.

Lithium batteries should be topped up regularly and not be allowed to discharge completely.

It was only the old Nicads that had to be discharged completely before re-charging.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: