Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Bluechart on Nuvi 250
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Bluechart on Nuvi 250

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fgs
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 7:04 pm    Post subject: Bluechart on Nuvi 250 Reply with quote

I have a GPSmap 60 with bluechart Atlantic unlocked to it and functioning. I recently bought a nuvi 250 and tried to us the unlock wizard to unlock the same charts to it. The charts came with the possibility to unlock to 2 devices. I knew I would not have the same functionality but understood I would have the improved display available. My computer told me the charts had been transferred, but the nuvi tells me that it cant unlock maps, I reply OK, and the road maps and functions work fine. In Map Info I have City Nav Europe 2008 and when box is unchecked get a very basic outline but no detail. There is a line under City Nav.....which says [1]ALL. I can download chart waypoints to the nuvi with sd card, but nothing else. The following is installed on the unit

FOLDERS:
Diag...remote SW...gpx...Voice...Help...Poi...Vehicle...Nuvi ikon...Text

and the FILES:

fs_image.ver
Ver File 1KB

Garmin Device
XML Document 21KB

gmapbmap
IMG File 5807KB

gmapprom
IMG File 1430784KB

gmapsupp
IMG File 20kb

gmapbmap.sum
SUM File 1KB

gmapprom.sum
SUM file 1KB

GUPDATE.GCD
GCD File 5573KB

Which of these files can I safely remove to return to the original content of my
Nuvi 250w. At present there is no free space showing for the device.
Help me please.
philpugh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The dates associated with the files may give you a pointer but usually...

gmapbmap.* are the baselevel maps giving oulines of countries and some major roads - this is what you are seeing.

gmapprom.* are the 'main' maps - should be NT 2008

The gmapsupp should be the added map - it looks a bit small - but you may have only transferred a small area.

In any event (although it's probably too late) you should always take a backup of the device before doing anything so radical as changing the maps/firmare etc. as there is no way to re-create the main map if the process goes wrong because GARMIN don't supply them with the unit - although you could buy a DVD from them.

If you select the 2008NT map does it still work? If so you haven't lost anything.

Take a backup and then delete the gmapsupp file.

The best way to add and play with mapping is to use an SD card. Create a Garmin directory at the top level of the card and use a card reader/writer - the card will be recognised as a Garmin 'device'. On booting the Garmin unit it should look on the card for maps etc.

Devices like the 2xx range have very limited additional memory because it helps keep the cost down. Also they aren't really designed for outdoor work (esp anywhere near salt water).

I think the "limited functionality" is the fact that the marine icons aren't included on the 250W - so they won't display even if you get the map loaded - rendering it less than useful as a marine navigation device. Perhaps this is why it's telling you it's still locked?

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: