Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Downloading database
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Downloading database

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stephengturner
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 1:59 pm    Post subject: Downloading database Reply with quote

I have just purchase the camera database but have had real problems with the running of the database. I am not a expert on computors but I have found this to be very unfriendy download.
On downloading the datrabase I do not get the flag which says the download is complete so cannot press the open folder button of which I assume unzips the file.
It would seems that all files are in fact downloaded because I can find the unziped file.
I am running vista on a laptop which does not have winzip of which I do have on a computor running XP.
Going on the net it seems that to by winzip costs £29 of which I are unwilling to pay.
I have also trafcam which has downloaded simply and gives me a icon to tap when I wish to update cameras.
I find pocket world very involved and complicated and to date cannt use it because I think I cannot unzip the files.
I have a Tom Tom 720T which runs in tandom with frafcam and tom tom camers but find these both very unreliable as to updating cameras.
Specs cameras on the M27 road work been there over a month nothing flagged as yet.
Can anyone out there help me.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Stephen, you don't need Winzip, both Vista and XP can open the file. Locate the file downloaded from us and right-click it, then select the option to 'Extract'.

If you do not 'get the flag which says the download is complete' then that is an issue with your PC, we have no control over that!

Once you have extracted the files, follow our install guide here.

It may seem daunting at first but once you've done it once it's very simple. If we could make it as we support a huge number of devices from many manufacturers we have to choose a system that accommodates all.

Any problems, post back here explaining what you did and how far you got and we can talk you through it.

p.s. We had the M27 SPECS cameras in Feb!
GPS_fan
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's strange that you mention the SPECS on the M27 because I passed through there just yesterday and the cameras were all listed and , if I remember correctly, they were added to the database the very day they went live (because they'd been reported as they were erected).

Did you actually unzip the files from the database download? I'm a little unclear because you said that you're unwilling to pay for Winzip, but you then go on to say that SPECS cameras are missing - surely you wouldn't have seen this without first unzipping and installing the database, then configuring the warnings on your GO720.

Or have I missed something??
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Stephen was suggesting (and Stephen correct me if I am wrong) that both Trafcam AND tomtom did not have the M27 SPECS hence his desire to use our database?
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GPS_fan... Don't panic. If you read it carefully, he's talking about the TomTom-supplied cameras at that point.
He hasn't got as far as unzipping the PGPSWorld ones yet.

Edit: Pipped to the post by Darren... Sad
GPS_fan
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 3:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Downloading database Reply with quote

stephengturner wrote:
Specs cameras on the M27 road work been there over a month nothing flagged as yet.
Can anyone out there help me.

Sorry, but I may have totally misunderstood your original comments and I assumed you meant that these SPECS cameras were not in the PocketGPSWorld.com download - could you please clarify which database(s) these SPECS cameras are missing from.

Also, if you're still having difficulties with unzipping and installing the files, please come back for further assistance
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just for anyone who wonders, I drove through the M27 roadworks this afternoon, i.e. down M3, then westbound on M27. None of the Specs cameras were on the TomTom database which I updated a couple of days ago and ALL of them were on the PocketGPSWorld database which I haven't updated since 11 days ago, ALL were correctly positioned.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
tanda
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 8:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Downloading database Reply with quote

stephengturner wrote:
On downloading the datrabase I do not get the flag which says the download is complete so cannot press the open folder button of which I assume unzips the file.

What you need to do is open a web page, and at the top, click on TOOLS, then INTERNET OPTIONS, then ADVANCED, then under "browsing" tick the box that says "Notify when downloads complete", then APPLY and OK. You will then be given the flag to click on open. You don't need winzip, its built into Vista. Then read the instructions found HERE to install the database, and I would strongly advise you do a WINDOWS EXPLORER backup, not a TomTom HOME backup, BEFORE you add/remove anything from your TomTom. Instructions for this are also on the link above. If you do not know anything about computers, it may look difficult at first, read it through a few times, and if you get stuck, let us know.
stephengturner
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 2:57 pm    Post subject: downloading database Reply with quote

Firstly may I thank you for the reply,s that you have sent. However, I still cannot start the database or download into my Tom Tom 720T.
Ihaver tried as advised to extract which allows me to see the following files.
Need help HTML doc
Licence Text Doc
Pocketgps-uk.pmobile BMP File
pocketgps-uk-pmobile OV2 File
pocket-Uk-sc BMP file
pocketgps-uk-sc.ov2 File
On trying to open these files I am told that the computor cannot reconize ov2 filesa
I have taken some ones tip to flag when finnish download and that now works.
When trying to click on the open button I am shown the above files instead of the listing of camera,s
Now third day and no success.
May I confirm that I have installed both travcam and Tom Tom on my 720 but as stated before they are unreilible and have camera,s missing.
Again help, wher am I going wrong. I am certainly not a lodite on computing but again not a expert.
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You don't need to open any of the files. You need to copy them to your TomTom.

Just follow the instructions a couple of people have linked to above. I'll repeat the link here
tanda
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The BMP file is the little icons that appear on the TomTom, and the ov2 file is the database, (The list of cameras), but your computer can not open this file, but your TomTom can, as paul says you don't open, intall, run, anything, you just copy/paste, the BMP and ov2 files to your TomTom, and set it all up, instructions are found at our links. I would strongly advise the WINDOWS EXPLORER backup FIRST.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: